1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 R6 Won’t Stay Running

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RRRepsolRider, Feb 20, 2021.

1. RRRepsolRider

RRRepsolRider Well-Known Member

Bike sat from Halloween til around Xmas. Didn’t start it and it’s been in the garage. No heat in there.

What I know: Batt is good. FI fuses are good. Fuel pump is kicking on after kill switch is turned on (woodcraft key delete), fuel is flowing out, I’ve pulled the gas tank/pump and both are clean. I’ve pulled the injectors and fuel rail and they’re clean as well. Bike will run shortly if starting fluid is squirted into air intake. Will run roughly, idle then die. If throttle is touched, it usually dies.

I’m thinking maybe I need to pull the injectors out and let them soak overnight. If that’s possible, what could they soak in?

Any pointers at this point is helpful. I’m about at whits end

2. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

It's lacking fuel. It doesn't take much to clog the injectors(you wouldn't be able to see it by just looking at them).
    Check fuel pressure?

3. RRRepsolRider

I’m pulling the injectors again and cleaning them a different way. That’s the only thing it can be. Fuel starvation. Damn ethanol

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the fuel in the injectors is under pressure. Maybe try back purging the regulator.
    If someone stored MR12 in the system then its possible it has some blockage but standard pump fuel?
    I had a bike that sat for 5 years and the fuel pump was frozen. Got a new pump and the thing fired right off.
    The sock filter does pretty good.
    If I had a freshly built motor...I would invest in the $160 to make sure all the injectors are flowing up to spec.

5. RRRepsolRider

When I pulled the injectors and cleaned them, I opened them with a 9vt batt and they seemed to free of debris. Had good flow coming out of them end. I’ll try back purging the regulator and checking the pump again today. It had some 110 VP in it but I cleaned it out and the pump as well. Only 93 octane since it was cleaned.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

berrymans b12 is your friend here... does a good job of dissolving.

RRRepsolRider likes this.
  7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem plausible but is the gas stale or contaminate?

8. RRRepsolRider

I doubt it. I’ve put the same gas (from same jug) in different machines and all have ran. Bike runs but idles low and rough then dies so duel is combustible.

9. RRRepsolRider

I’ll definitely check in with him. Bout to dump the fuel and check the pump then add some fresh fuel.

10. RRRepsolRider

Tried looking him up but no luck.

11. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

That's because it's a product not a person.......:beer:

12. RRRepsolRider

Totally read that as a person ‘dissolving’ issues (face slap)

13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I had a similiar issue recently. Mine ended up needing new orings in the pump. (original problem was inner pump came loose in transit), then when I put it back together I ripped the oring. I would pour race gas into the throttle bodies and it would fire right up.

Does the fuel pump build pressure or does it just keep priming? You should hear it prime, then slow down as it builds pressure. Thats how I knew to start with the pump.

14. RRRepsolRider

The pump can be heard priming, then stops but does make a sound. While the injectors are out, I can see it squirt fuel through them so I’m guessing there’s enough pressure.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

But is it a 47psi squirt? The fuel pressure is probably worth testing.

16. RRRepsolRider

Don’t have a tester so I don’t know psi. Seems high but ... Probably swap pumps to be safe. If the issue still remains I have an extra pump. No biggie there.