1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Yeah, that’s on the high side for sure. But it’s not in the “ridiculous” range yet.

I bought some earlier today that was $0.57 per round (Norma 115 FMJ).

A couple of years ago they would have been told to EAD, but right now that’s about as best you can find online.

The fucking $3 per round some places are wanting for .45ACP defensive ammo is ridiculous.

2. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Oh shit I didn’t look at the price. Yeah, hard pass on that. Finding ammo is not the problem. Finding it at regular prices is. I could probably get 10k rounds of 9mm locally by tomorrow if I was willing to spend 70+ cents a round but fuck all that! Plenty of people selling but they all want a fortune for it. But until everyone puts their foot down and refuses to pay that much prices aren’t going to drop. So long as people are paying that much there’s no incentive for anyone to drop the prices.

Gorilla George and noles19 like this.
  3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's really hard to find any 9mm for under 40 cents a round right now. Basically sigs website but they sell out in seconds. Or wait in line at Cabela's or academy, I got 100 rounds for $27 at Cabela's by standing in line.
    And federal and other places have already issued statements saying they are raising prices recently

4. sbk1198

I’ve seen .45 for $0.80 to $1 mostly but even that’s way too high.

I’m glad that on the local gun forum it’s not possible to reply to a for sale ad in the classifieds section (have to PM), otherwise I would’ve been banned long ago for telling lots of people to EAD! Lol Like guys selling shotgun slugs for over $3 or primers for $0.25!

5. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I'm trading a dude 1 pound of H4350 for 1000 rifle primers. I feel like I'm getting pretty good deal there since I paid $30 for the pound vs what he could sell his primers for

Didn't even look at the price of the 9mm since I don't have one to shoot. I did order another RCBS charge master to make reloading brainless again. So nice just to press a button and it measures out the charge and is accurate enough on the throws for me.

6. sbk1198

Yeah and standing in line for a couple of hours or more for one or 2 boxes since they all have limits is not very appealing either. I would do it if I could get a case of 1000 at least but not for 50 or 100.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. sbk1198

Large rifle primers is the last thing I still need before I can start reloading. Technically I still need powder but Clay was nice enough to get me a couple of lbs, I just need to pick them when I drive south in a couple of weeks.

Steak Travis likes this.
  8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's the other issues you never know what they will have, some days they do have bulk boxes of 5.56 of a few hundred rounds and until recently you could get a few boxes of it.
    Academy has a box limit, but not a bulk box limit like Cabela's

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I obtained the 40 S&W Pro
    My question now, is there red dots that co-witness on pistols? I’m jumping in on the deep end of the pool. This tool will be used for various competitions, 3gun, falling steel and anything else that tickles my fancy.

10. The question is “are your sights capable of cowitnessing a red dot?”

On ones that don’t require an adapter plate. Like the CT optic designed for the Hellcat OSP, or the Sig optics made for their guns, etc...often times they will cowitness fine. Or some of the “Tactical” type guns that come with taller sights from the factory.

But if an adapter plate is required, in some cases you might need to change the sights.

For example, on the big Canik, the VP9L, and the Q5 Match, I can’t cowitness on any of those. They are red dot only.

On all the Sigs (with Romeo optics), Hellcat OSP, Canik TP9-Elite, the FNX-45 Tactical, FNX-9 Tactical, etc...all of those can cowitness with the factory sights.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    speedluvn likes this.
  11. I was able to get a case. :D

We were driving back from Asheville and I saw the clock said 4:01. I was like shit! (I was scared a bunch of people may have botted up)

I already had the internet open on that page. So I unlocked my phone and handed it to the wife real quick.

I was like “hit refresh!” She did it and I was like “does it say ‘SOLD OUT’”? She said no, then I was like “well FFS put some in the cart!” :crackup:

She was like “what is it?” I said “we don’t have time for questions right now, this is important and time sensitive shit!...just do it and checkout fast!” (all the info, including my CC, is stored in the auto-fill)

She got all done and handed me the phone back. And I was like “shew, that was a close call”.

It was dead quite for about 30 seconds. Then she was like “that was ammo wasn’t it?” I just started laughing and was like “like I said, important shit”

She was like “you got me all stressed out over ammo when there’s a million boxes already at home???”

I was like “there are over 75mil people already vaccinated in the US. The way I see it, I’m still nowhere near prepared enough for when all these motherfuckers go ‘I Am Legend’ on us”.

:crackup:

sbk1198 and Steak Travis like this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You know the ammo manufacturers will eventually catch up, right?

13. Oh I know. But I’m not willing to stop shooting while waiting for them to do so. I need to make sure I can keep feeding my habit in the meantime.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What you need is strong medication.

15. Fuckinhell. On the X5L you have to take the slide off and disassemble it just to install the optic because the bolts are mounted underneath. What the shit.

16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I'm not entirely sure they will...

I'll try to elaborate without getting political but from a manufacturing standpoint... demand is not going to let up for the next 4 years at minimum. But I'm not fully convinced that the manufacturers will ever fully tool up to meet that demand, for the same reason the demand isn't going away anytime soon - fear of legislation that impacts availability. If "assault weapons" are banned, what do you think happens to the demand for the ammo all those "assault weapons" eat? Probably falls off a cliff. Not to mention there's also the possibility of banning certain calibers outright. Tooling up to multiply productivity a few times over is expensive and I'm not sure how confident I'd be if I were a manufacturer that I'll receive payback anytime soon, whether that be due to new legislation or the payback requiring longer than 4 years, in which case the political pendulum may swing back the other way and again, demand falls off a cliff.

17. I think I talked about it before. The CEO of Federal/Speer/CCI put out a video about it.

They hired enough employees to add a 3rd (night) shift, and are working 24/7, non-stop....and can’t keep up with demand.

It was a pretty cool video. He made it while giving a little tour of the facility.

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yep this is kind of what I'm getting at. Adding labor is costly but still pennies in the bucket compared to a major scale up of tooling and infrastructure. It's not hard to quickly run out of physical space to produce in as well as run up again machine constraints. New tooling costs a lot of money. New property and buildings costs exponentially more. And doubling labor never doubles production. Inevitably you suffer higher downtime percentages from the extra wear on the machines and lack of time to perform preventative maintenance. And with more employees in a healthy job market, you generally have to increase pay to meet headcount requirements while simultaneously reducing the quality of your workforce.

Production capacity is a quadratic equation. Initially, it's not difficult to find profitable margins with increases in volume. But as you continue to grow, the cost of growing your infrastructure can eventually start climbing faster than your ROI, hence companies having to look for the sustainable long term balance which potentially means falling short of immediate demands.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That's the annoying part. I have inventory, but now I can't shoot enough to stay sharp because a bunch of people just learned what a gun is and bought all the ammo.

20. Agreed.

I don’t see any of them actually building a new facility and adding new production lines.

Why would they?

Everything they make is getting sold immediately, at basically whatever price they ask. It makes more sense to just ride this train as far as it can go.

If you reach a point that the extra manning isn’t needed, you can lay them off.

But taking on additional building costs, machine costs, production costs, insurance costs, electricity costs, etc just doesn’t make sense with the future being so uncertain.

sbk1198 likes this.