1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun peeps/dealers?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Feb 22, 2021.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

My wife tried to go through security yesterday with a part of a pistol. She thought I’d sent her a new set of sights, when I’d actually sent the entire slide with new sights installed. TSA took it. What I’m looking for is the best place to source a slide for a S&W M&P 45 mid size, 4”. Ideas?

2. Hmm, isn’t there a way to get it back?

And why would TSA take a slide? It is incapable of firing a shot on its own. It’s just a part.

R1M370, Sabre699 and sbk1198 like this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

T...thoroughly
    S...stupid
    A...assholes

Photo and Gorilla George like this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Wtf?? I’d take it up with TSA and try to get it back.

Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Agreed TSA should have checked it or mailed it. Anything but stealing it. My son put some brass in our carryon and they tried to keep it. I argued and won that but learned put any gun crap in checked luggage. As far as a new slide I’d try S&W

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

S&W is well-known for not releasing parts to dealers like Midway and Brownells. You'll probably have to contact S&W directly to buy one, or purchase a third party slide.

Brian_J and R/T Performance like this.
  7. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Called TSA, even ran it up to supervisor, and no. They call it a voluntary surrender. Goes in a bin, and gone.
    S&W says they don’t sell the parts, so I’m stuck looking for one outside, new or used, or aftermarket...

8. I can think of a lot of ways to describe that bullshit, and “voluntary surrender” isn’t one of them.

MachineR1, DrA5, R1M370 and 2 others like this.
  9. ton

ton Arf!

it is voluntary. you have the option of stepping out of line with your things and mailing it or putting it in your car or whatever. or, surrendering the thing so that you may go through the checkpoint.

sanee likes this.
  10. Or they could open the package, inspect it, and use a little godamn common sense and realize it is not a weapon and cannot be used as one.

The ONLY logic I can see them applying, is what if they let multiple people all go through security, all of them having different parts of a gun. Then those people could all get together on the plane and piece the gun together.

I can understand that line of thinking. But it would still be useless without any ammo.

DrA5 and Sabre699 like this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You don't even want to know where the ammo is hidden in that scenario.

sanee, MachineR1, beac83 and 2 others like this.
  12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

This coming from captain impatient? You expect some dude from tsa to go through all of that vs just shit canning it and continuing their job?:Poke:

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Noles. It's not like the TSA folks have any incentive to make any decision but "reject". Couple that with draconian regulations and you can't expect rational decision making.

noles19 likes this.
  14. In any other circumstances, I would agree. But when you are getting paid to inspect bags, you should be able to take the time to actually inspect bags.

It’s like someone having a job of making burgers at McDonalds, but not wanting to take the time to cook the meat.

That’s what you are there for, and get paid to do.

Seems to me like it’s more a matter of doing what is quicker and easier.

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

No they are doing what the Federal regulations stipulate, if you bring a firearm or pieces of a firearm in carry on to the security area, that is illegal and you forfeit said items. It is a binary decision, legal items in carry on off you go, illegal items get confiscated. There is no room for individual agents interpretation of this.

16. noles19

Nahhhh, they are taking the time to do their job and exam the bag. They just aren't going outside of their job and liability to mail you stuff that is against their rules.

17. noles19

It's the same exact thing if you get caught with a pocket knife going into a sports arena etc. You can leave the line and take care of it yourself or you can let them have it and go inside. They certainly don't hold it for you until after.

18. Searched Gunbroker.com? Or maybe a site like Primary Arms?

There are lots of places that sell slides. It’s typically places that sell slides milled or optics. I just ordered one for the G17 last week. But I’ve seen some also sell “blank” ones too.

Hell, maybe even eBay? Can you sell gun parts/ammo on eBay? I don’t even know if people can do that. I haven’t used eBay in like 10 years.

19. sbk1198

That was my thought as well for the only possible reasoning to not allow individual gun parts on. But even then, if multiple people get enough parts put together, you're still left with a metal/polymer oddly shaped club. Worst you can do is smack a bitch upside the head with it...which is no different than a laptop lol

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. sbk1198

I wonder where the line is drawn with parts. Like what if you bring a trigger? lol Will they even know what it is? What about a recoil rod and spring? lol