1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

FYI you don't need to setup a trust. So you can save a bit on that if you choose not to. The paperwork is not particularly difficult. The part that sucks is like you said...the cost and the long wait time. Yea ATF's rules on suppressors are pretty freakin stupid. A guy next to me today was shooting the same exact rifle as me (RPR in 6.5 creedmoor) but he had a suppressor on his and it was SO MUCH more quiet! I took my ear muffs off when he took a couple of shots and it was perfectly fine.

2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

If it’s in a trust you can will it to other family members . Most people I know go that route

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Nope. That’s where I wanted to get it but they haven’t had it in stock in a long time. And I’m getting impatient considering I’m already gonna be waiting a year for it as it is. So when I saw triarc had one I jumped on it. Surefire 762 mini2 for reference.

4. redtailracing

I get it. And I would not necessarily recommend the Caldwell. Like I said, it was cheap enough for me to just try until I'm ready to get a nice one. And I also have the luxury of my own private range out in the country so I don't have to worry about cold/hot ranges. But obviously when I want to stretch further and have to go to a public range, like you said, can't take one like the caldwell very efficiently. I'll get me one of them fancy ones one day but given the other post I just made about dropping some coin on a suppressor, it won't be tomorrow.

sbk1198 likes this.
  5. sbk1198

Yep. That's pretty much the only reason for it. I opted to not do that since I'm the only one in the family that really shoots. My dad is the only other that has guns but he doesn't have anything to put mine on and doesn't really have any desire to have a suppressor. So as far as I'm concerned, it can go straight in a compactor when I die, or taken apart and recycled.

6. redtailracing

:stupid:

7. sbk1198

Jealous of the own private range out in the country! How far away can you shoot out there (safely of course)?

8. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

T
    Trust doesn’t have to be family members .. can be buddies , shooting club , Etc...
    Edit : other gang bangers , in your “Gang” :D

sbk1198 likes this.
  9. redtailracing

Next bit of help I need... Anyone know where I could find the thread pitch for my LMT 6.5? Need to order a surefire muzzle device eventually for it (they're out of stock everywhere so I'm gonna have to be keeping an eye out for one) but I can't find that spec for it anywhere on their website. I'd like to think it's just 5/8-24 but LMT has a tendency to do so some weird/proprietary shit sometimes.

10. redtailracing

Only a couple hundred yards. I have room to go to about 300 but am going to have to do a little clearing to get there. But after 300 I'm limited by property lines. Hence why I still have to go somewhere if I want to stretch any of my rifles.

If you're ever in mid TN for any reason, just let me know and you'll have a free place to come shoot one day.

sbk1198 likes this.
  11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

My 6.5 is 5/8 24 but it’s not an LMT. You should ether check it or call LMT. I only trust what I can see so I check my threads before ordering.

12. redtailracing

Yea I thought about checking it myself but that just feels like a pain in the ass. Take the muzzle device off, check threads, find/buy new crush washer just to put a muzzle device back on that's not going to be permanent. Will probably just reach out to LMT. Just wasn't sure if anyone here knew of a good place to check for such info.

13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Ask LMT to be sure but I'd wager $100 it's 5/8x24. I looked on the LMT site and the washers that are on the 6.5's I saw look like a standard washer and you can take the muzzle off and put it back on. That washer can be reused a bunch of times, nothing special about it. I've reused the really thin ones that'll come with your surefire suppressor. I have a surefire 556ar suppressor that I've had since like 2010 and have reused the washers on that a lot. I finally just bought some new ones off amazon last year and they worked fine.

O yeah when you buy the suppressor it should come with a muzzle device. If not Fk that and get a thunder beast ultra 7. I'd do that anyway but if you are dead set on a surefire it's a good can. www.esilencers.com is a dude in west TN and he's supposed to have some thunder beasts coming in soon.

My Surefire is cool but they no longer make the muzzle device anymore and I've only got one so I better not lose it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  14. sbk1198

Normally manufacturers list it in the specs. I'm surprised LMT doesn't. I don't know that I've seen any that don't list that. More than likely it's 5/8-24 like RonR said. That's what my 6.5 CM rifle is too.

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Just a heads up those washers usually don’t need replacing. I’ve used many more than once. One gun I changed the barrel 4 times in a week just testing groups and the washer was fine.

Steak Travis likes this.
  16. redtailracing

Just going with surefire for a couple reasons. 1. They're field tested/proven and considering it will see use on at least 4 rifles, if not more, I like having the confidence it will last. 2. I've heard great things about their customer service, which is always a big selling point for me. 3. My buddy that's with me 99% of the time that I go shooting already runs Surefires so if he gets a larger caliber rifle like he wants to, he'll be able to use my suppressor (he's been letting me use is 5.56 can on my AR for awhile) and I've been very impressed with his 5.56 can so naturally it makes me want one just like it.

17. redtailracing

Yea I thought it was weird, too. It did make me wonder if it was something different from the norm. Them and Knight's Armament seem to like doing things different. I know a lot of it is because they simply come up with better designs for stuff and the consequence is less cross compatibility with parts from other companies. But sometimes I think they do it just to force you to only buy parts from them. And good lord do both companies charge a premium for their shit. I had originally wanted to get a Knight's suppressor to pair with my Knight's rifle and my SPR AR (my SPR build was heavily inspired by the SR-25 and Mk.12 platforms) but the suppressor itself is almost 50% more than the Surefire and the muzzle devices are double the cost of Surefire's so it was going to cost me a decent amount more to go that route. Just couldn't justify it.

18. redtailracing

Cool thanks for the heads up. I had always just heard to replace those anytime you took the muzzle device off. Wasn't ever really sure how critical that was but didn't want to chance my muzzle device backing off.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

For that kind of money, buy a Lab Radar. I have a Sporter that I bought used for $100, and it is ok, but I would never buy a V2 or V3.

20. sbk1198

Why not?

Also Lab Radars from what I've seen are around $550+