1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Wingnut

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Feb 21, 2021.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My flying club got screwed over when they bought our Vans RV7 about 2 years ago.
    I am looking for some Lycoming parts. You got any leads?

We need a good crank for a Lycoming IO360 A1B6D. Or maybe a complete engine with a Non-AD Crank in it.
    New cranks are about 10K to 1 million dollars and 12 months out. New engines are possible but about 5 months out.

thanks,

2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

asked a pilot friend of family but he doesn't have any leads on cranks or used engines. he commiserated with your fellow clubs plight however.

i dont know anything about plane politics but he explained that most shit takes forever (months) so i understand the post at least lol

3. ChemGuy

Thanks.

Its shit situation. When they bought the plane the pre-buy mechanic said the crank wasn't under an AD for replacement from 15 years ago. Turns out it was added to the updated list about 10 years ago and all the mechanics since haven't bothered to check.

So now we have to deal with it.

If this world was fair....all these idiots who signed off the planes yearly inspection would be writing us a check. But its not. :(

4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

You can call our parts department and ask for Keith. He’s the parts manager. 1-800-289-7141. It isn’t what we normally do, but he knows a lot about parts. I’m pretty sure we’re a Lycoming dealer.

5. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

I used to have an engine overhaul shop. Call my partner, Tom Schweitz @ 703-980-9055. Tell him Pete sent you

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

what

how big are these cranks

are they made of diamond

for just the steal of a price of $100k ..and the specs... i will go buy the machines and make you any fuckin crank you want

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

just looked it up it's a case-hardened 111mm-stroke four cylinder

what the fuck

8. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Aren't these engines, for lack of a better term, homologated? Meaning you can't just use any part when you decide to rebuild. You have to go off of an approved parts list, with approved manufacturers/suppliers/rebuilders etc. Lots of part tracing, due to counterfeit parts (fasteners etc.) from the past that caused issues in airplanes.

So while you could probably get a billet crank made for 10k or less, you would then have to validate that crank for durability/safety, and once the crank was finally FAA approved, it costs 100k. For one, one-off crank. Hence, that is why service parts for these things cost what they do. No one has time/money for that, other than the OE supplier.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yeah, for certified aircraft, you need the approved parts. For homebuilt aircraft, not so much. When it comes to certified engines in homebuilt airplanes, i get a bit lost.
    There is a cottage industry that makes non certified copies of certified engines. The costs arent much cheaper if at all but u get to customize if you want.

10. ChemGuy

Yeah its a pretty big rip off. airplane liability crap is probably 1/2 that cost. but they need to be good and last. the reason we are here is they changed production methods and didnt really keep an eye on things. 23 cranks broke while in flight (some fatalities) due to subsurface defects from hammer forging/heat treating process. So now they press forge the cranks.

Yeah its kind of a weird area. I think we may be ok with the FAA if we fly it....we are waiting to see what insurance says. I am ok flying it and if we decide to replace it maybe we can fly it till the parts come in.