1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Tomorrow but the roads are still garbage around here. Not sure I’m gonna risk a 4 hr drive.

Senna likes this.
  2. Well have an XM30 Pulsar scope to try out. I have a couple guns he always bugs me about selling them to him for his personal collection so makes me feel better because with a deal he will give me plus more than a fair price on the 2 guns I’m about break even. I am going to run to a buddies property and sight it in them go play. Now if my form 1 would ever come back approved I’d have a lot more fun. Once I get approval for the end piece I’ll finish 3D printing it in Ti and try out a few different baffles. Excited for that and no not worth the risk for me to do a work around. These 2 pieces will go nicley on an Seekins AR10. Then I can do some proper night hunting.

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That was one of the reasons I got out of the comp stuff. Minimum 2+ hour one-way drive for maybeee ten minutes of shooting time, and about 8 hours of standing around doing jack shit.

The other was money.

4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Anyone bought a G43X after owning a G43?

I know they’re damn near the same gun, but I pretty much carry a 43 exclusively with a Vickers +2, which is a bit taller than the 43X. Was thinking it may be worth it to just go to a permanently longer grip at this point.

Not really interested in the 365 or Hellcat.

5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Garbage from what? Aren't you in SoCal where the weather is always awesome?

Sounds like a race weekend! LOL Except for most drives are quite a bit more than 2 hours and you gotta stay the night too. Although I'm still bitter about driving 12 hours each way to Daytona for 4 laps of practice and 2 nights spent in the paddock :mad:

Senna and wsmc 589 like this.
  6. wsmc 589

Yeah no I get it. Work pays my gas and ammo so it’s a no brainer for me. But I do I get it. The standing around can be a PIA. Especially if it’s cold.

Senna likes this.
  7. wsmc 589

sbk1198 likes this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

If it’s a well organized event, the downtime is usually minimized. I went to a larger event right before I stopped, and I spent literally 10 hours to shoot like 6 stages. It was unreal. Way too much downtime.

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Similar in a lot of ways but the rush is definitely not the same. The nice thing about shooting was I could practice all the time, whether dry firing at home or at my local dynamic range.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  10. wsmc 589

11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Anybody have thoughts on Hornady Critical Duty vs Defense? Is this the equivalent of “what oil should I run?”

I went to Academy today to get my son some shoes. I never figured there would be ammo at 4 o’clock so I didn’t even wander to that side of the store but the guy in front of me had boxes of ammo so we ran over to the counter and found 100 rounds of the 9mm 135 gr critical duty. I figured it would be perfect, I could run plenty through my 365 to be sure it was happy with it and load up the mags I have for it.

I got home and did some reading and it seems the defense is what I should be carrying in a sub compact according to Hornady. My other concern is over penetration and worst case scenario hitting someone after it goes through the bad guy and a lawyer jumping all over the extra penetration that the duty provides. Am I making too much out of this? Should I sell it and by defense or see if it cycles and carry it?

12. sbk1198

I've heard some people say a very familiar phrase..."if you want to get better at shooting (faster, more accurate, better control, better reactions under pressure, etc.) get into doing competitions". Which is the same exact advice I give motorcycle track day people, and same as what I was given years ago before I started racing. That's kinda why I want to do it at least a few times. But I can see how it could get old really quick because of the downtime.

Does a match pretty much consist of a few stages and everyone goes through them one at a time with 100+ people there? So you just hang out until your turn comes for each stage?

13. wsmc 589

The 135 critical +p is our duty round. It expands and doesn’t over penetrate. Buy it.

DmanSlam and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  14. sbk1198

I believe the difference is in the weight of the bullet. The Duty is heavier than the Defense. There are lots of articles and youtube videos on the difference between them. There's probably a few ballistic gel tests to give you a good idea of the difference. Personally I wouldn't sell it, I'd go with whichever.

15. wsmc 589

No you are in squads. So your squad rotates to each stage. You wind up becoming friend with your squad and meet some really great people. I’ve never been heckled or made to feel uncomfortable even though I’m directly competing against some in my squad. The cool thing is their have been times I’m not competing against anyone in my squad because of the numerous classifications and pistols.

Senna and sbk1198 like this.
  16. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I barely shoot 3g anymore because of the painfully long day with not enough shooting. I really like shooting the rifle but even 2g is getting dragged out. So lately I’ve been shooting more pistol only matches. The match flow is always way better. I’m lucky that two ranges are close. One is 35 min and the other 55. It always comes down to match lay out and who is on your squad. Some shoots we plan it out so we know most of the squad. So the work gets done. Other times I just go by myself and hope for the best. Last year most shoots got canned but hopefully shit will get rolling again. Good luck if you make the trip.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

WSMC detailed it a bit further. It’s a rush in its own way. I always referred to it as “tactical golf.”

It does illuminate glaring weaknesses very very quickly. You can iron out a lot of those weaknesses at home with a shot timer and the drills in Dry Fire: Reloaded. Ben Stoeger is (or at least was - it’s been a while) one of the top shooters in the world and he doesn’t shoot all that much live ammo - just religious dry firing at home.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  18. wsmc 589

Yeah a squad that hustles definitely makes the day move along faster. I’m hoping so as well.

19. wsmc 589

Man you are absolutely correct.
    Everything I teach I tell my guys they can replicate with dry fire. Except splits (we run 2011’s so no cool trigger rest mags available for us yet) and recoil management.
    I’ve had the pleasure of learning from Olympic gold medal winners and the amount of dry fire they did was amazing. I was blown away.
    Your tactical golf is spot on. I will be stealing that term from you good sir!

Senna likes this.
  20. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I picked it up I’m just second guessing using it in a shorter barrel, I think I’m over the penetration part.