1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

first match is the same as the first race, dont "crash" lol

Gorilla George and Jedb like this.
  2. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Yep. Going there to learn and not DQ. Hopefully it’s still a go with the weather we’ve had down here.

3. Ok not handgun but what’s a good value scope for night? I recently acquired a set of Pulsar thermal binoculars that are unreal but want a better night scope. This is just for hunting yotes and the occasional hog but mostly coyotes. Was looking at ATN stuff as I’ve had it in the past but haven’t used their latest. I’d prefer to keep it under $2k ideally even if used 12-1500. I don’t shoot much over 120 and if a clear shot 150 yards at night so don’t need any crazy stuff, just something better than the light on the gun.

4. wsmc 589

I
    I’ve heard great things about ATN. No first hand knowledge with it however.

5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

What’s on the end of your rifle? On my phone it’s hard to make out. It looks solid or very little holes

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I use a really good brake on all my rifles or a suppressor. The brake works much better for competition. ARs don’t move much but you’ll notice it when going for quick shots. You’ll lose your sight picture momentarily. With a good brake you’ll see clear with no stoppage. C8F00094-4307-483B-975B-A056482B2A41.png

7. wsmc 589

Its a surefire warden. I run surefire comps mostly. I put that on there because the last time I was running that rifle was at a school. Was shooting inside a lot and didn’t want to run my can. It helps a little with the pressure.

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That was my goal at my first 3-gun match.
    No DQ
    No stupid shit
    Don't drop the gun(s)
    No one got hurt during my run.
    Victory!

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is good.

[russian voice]
    Good luchk, Mr. Vick...

sanee, sbk1198 and wsmc 589 like this.
  9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

If you have a good scanner scope or the binos you can get away with a cheaper thermal on your rifle since you can identify what you are shooting with the pulsar binos. My cousin has an ATN ThOR-HD 384 2-8x which IMO sucks but yeah it can get the job done at 100 yards, especially with the pulsar binos. I wouldn't recommend going that route though only because you can Save up for a bering hogster or that new pulsar thermion xm30. The hogster you'll be able to get around 2450 and you'll have a scope that is way above the ATN I've used. The thermion xm30, even at the lower end of pulsar's product line, is better than the ATN I have experience with.

Lots of Meme's about ATN owners shooting cows

Thermals I've used. Pulsar Apex xd50, pulsar trail xm30, Pulsar thermion xq38, Bering hogster 35, ATN Thor

10. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Umm...what? lol I'm sure this is something totally different than what it sounds to be, but might want to rephrase that before someone from a 3-letter government organization busts down your door lol

Senna likes this.
  11. Real world knowledge I was hoping for, thanks. I don’t mind spending a bit more if it means better function. I’m a basic scope type of guy and although it would be great to have one that records too not necessary. Wind finally turned in my favor so about to head up in stand #2 which is positioned pretty good right now for some yotes and they are quite vocal tonight.

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

the Hogster should do well and the 25mm or 35mm both don’t have recording which keeps the cost down.

You can always sell a decent thermal too if you end up not using it much.

13. wsmc 589

Haha. Well it was a “school”. Maybe I should have said “class”?!?

sbk1198 likes this.
  14. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Maybe this section? https://community.usconcealedcarry.com/c/true-stories/17

Pretty good stories there. And this one struck home except my GF, at the time, had not yet identified the "code orange" that had my attention (because she was miffed at me from something earlier). Had to shout 'hey' along with a loud finger-snap and pointing at the threat. A bit condescending but kind of necessary.

https://community.usconcealedcarry....od-am-i-going-to-have-to-shoot-this-guy/37732

15. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Nice. I received a bin of parts for something similar (an AR15). Two scopes, two upper assemblies for black 300 and 223/556, stand and magazines. And I honestly know 'not much' about them yet. Are you able to switch from single bolt action to semi-auto?

16. That's the one! There are some interesting stories in there. And thanks for the link, i have never seen a digital version of it.

The wife and I have talked about many different scenarios. She knows how i am in general. I won't sit in the middle of a restaurant (I want to be in the back, with my back against the wall). I never look down at my phone when walking around, through parking lots, etc. Before i exit the car, i always take a quick look around. So on and so forth. I reckon the way to describe it is "situational awareness".

And we have discussed various scenarios. For example, we have covered if someone breaks in during the night. I never call her by her name. I usually just call her "babe". She knows that in the middle of the night, if i lean over and whisper "Lovette get in the closet", shit just got real. There is no fucking around. She isnt to toss and turn, stretch, yawn etc. She is to say nothing, immediately get up, grab her cell phone, go hide in the back of the closet, call 911, and not to unlock the door for anyone but me (or the police), no matter what she hears.

Of course we have went over fire situations also. I even took her in the back yard and taught her how to use a fire extinguisher, and then made her do it herself. She wont mess with guns though. She is glad i carry/have them, but she wont touch one.

I reckon its a rollover from my job. Being prepared and situational awareness is big at my job. Ive spent countless hours training and preparing for something that hasnt , and may never happen. But if it does, i want to know how to handle it.

DmanSlam and jkraft like this.
  17. sbk1198

There is not much similarity between an AR and the bolt rifle in that picture. Totally different mechanisms.

18. sbk1198

I don’t see the “breaking in during the night while people are home” scenario ever happening. I know most thieves are idiots but they’re not that stupid to break in when someone’s home and it’s usually pretty easy to tell. I live in less than average neighborhood and I’ve always been a bit paranoid of break-ins but not while I’m home. I’m more concerned of someone breaking in when I’m not here and stealing my shit, including my guns!

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Home invasions aren't a thing where you live?

DmanSlam and Gorilla George like this.
  20. sbk1198

When people are home, never heard of one happen. Neither here or any other place I’ve lived in. You’d have to be stupid to break into a house to steal shit when the owners are home. Especially in states like VA where so many people have guns