1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2007 GSXR 750 question about 320 mm rotors

Discussion in 'Tech' started by "0perator", Feb 1, 2021.

1. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Its about time for rotors. Since Ive been going to the track...Im noticing ALOT of changes with this bike. So if I decide on the Brembo SS rotors 320mm will a 5mm spacer and bolt kit from Brembo work with the stock calipers? I was told it should. Another thing Id like to know if I switch the MC for a Brembo with spiegler brake lines already installed would I only need brembo banjo bolts. Thanks to any knowledge on this in advance

2. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

I guess I got the MC part figured out. Double banjo and washers.

3. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

You will need a spacer for the calipers. I think 5mm is correct. Not sure what Brembo has to offer for spacers, but Zoran at TWF racing can make them. You may also need longer caliper bolts.

If you haven't purchased the rotors yet, take a look at Braketech. They offer rotors in stainless or iron and have them in the 320mm size. You will not be disappointed with their stuff.

4. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

This info is surprising difficult to find for aftermarket calipers... I had the toughest time confirming the right sized spacers for my 2011 but with brembo calipers.

If u are using stock calipers, it should be straightforward. Subtract the stock disc diameter from 320mm and divide by two. So if stock is 310, then spacers needed are 5mm.

The other thing is to see if there is a centering groove on the calipers and fork bottoms that require a matching lip machined in the spacer.

"0perator" likes this.
  5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If you have calipers it is easy to measure what you need.

JCW likes this.
  6. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Good info. I believe the calipers are flat at the bolt surface. The Brembo bolt kits are for brembo calipers. 5mm is not much maybe the stock bolts could still be used. I looked at Brake Tech today.

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Stock calipers are not flat, they use locating dowels. You do want 5mm longer bolts with spacers. If I remember stock bolts are 70mm so you would need 75mm.

"0perator" likes this.
  8. Dave675

Those silver pieces, in the fork leg, the calipers go over, are the locating dowels. They can come out, even though they look like they are made to the fork leg.

You will want to order these from TWF2, or a variation of them, but in 5mm spacing.
    https://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/R6caliperspacers.html

They will fit into the caliper and replace those dowels, at least thats how they work for r6 calipers fitted to GSXR forks.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    JCW likes this.
  9. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Familiar with the dowels but this bike does not have them. Oem calipers to the forks are aligned while applying front brake and tightened. I do hear some guys are milling the bolts. I will call around more tomorrow Brake Tech Im sure will have a answer. Unless I find a longer spec bolt Id hate to get new expensive rotors and torque to spec to only have it strip.

10. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Makes sense for. Thanks for the info. Will have to measure the bolts.

11. Dave675

Do you have pictures of the fork lowers without the calipers and the bottom of the calipers where they mount to the forks?

Only thing I can think of, is a previous owner took them out to run r6 calipers or something else. They should be there. I guess you could run without them, but the caliper could move around.

Jeff Gehrs is the one you want to talk to at Braketech.

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

The ‘11+ gsxrs don’t have the locating dowels so apparently suzuki wasn’t concerned about the calipers moving on the forks anymore.

dave moss has a video on how to install a front wheel and centering calipers on the rotors properly. The video uses an rsv4, but same process. His process should be followed with or without caliper locating dowels.

"0perator" likes this.
  13. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Brembo caliper spacer kits use standard heavy a$$ bolts... if that matters. I just found it annoying when even the oems feel lighter.

"0perator" likes this.
  14. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Good morning I hope! I will give them a call today. I will post some pics hopefully tomorrow when I get to the bike. Sportbike track gear never called back yesterday. Brake Tech is local to me. Id like to give them business.

15. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I have a set of the iron rotors for this upcoming season(of trackdays...) from braketech but am lamenting i may not be able to use my favorite vesrah pads with them... I dont know...
    You know you kinda develop your favorite pad/feel.

16. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Ehhh. That sucks. Those are the pads I want to try. Brake tech offers Ferado

17. gapman789

EBC GPFAX...thank me later.

While we're at it....source a set of '09-11 GSXR 1000 monoblock calipers. They use the same pads as the 06-09 600/750. I put them on my 07 1000, several 06-09 600/750's and even my '11 750 and '12 600.

I'm also an Accossato 19x18 fan for many many years.

https://store.hardracing.com/acc-cy...-cylinder-w-fixed-lever-rst.html?category_id=

GSXR 061.jpg GSXR 600.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    JCW likes this.
  18. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Thats nice! I hear about this converstion and R6 switch. With doing the Gsxr switch do you have to switch the brake lines?? I just put brand new Spiegler lines. Maybe just the banjo could be switched?

19. "0perator"

"0perator" Member

Well I talked to Brake Tech. They said a 5mm spacer is not enough to make a difference and the oem bolts can still be used. 910.00 for SS steel rotors spacers and ferodo pads. Ouch! Should I do it?? If I do maybe try to source gsxr 1000 calipers before replacing everything.

20. gapman789

I'm not sure....I always just ordered Galfer SBK lines for '09 GSXR 1000 calipers. I was always building a racebike from stock form, so i needed aftermarket lines anyway.

IMO, i think you should drop the oversized rotor idea. If your stock rotors are within spec of thickness, and not warped, just keep them. If they are out of spec, buy a good used set for $100.

BTW, what makes you think you need oversized/overpriced rotors?

If you have the stock MC, stock lines, crap pads and fluid....that's the problem, not the rotors.

Do this:

-keep stock rotors, clean with scotch brite pads and simple green. Rinse with brake clean.
    -Accossato 19x18 - $230
    -09-11 GSXR 1000 monoblock calipers - $100
    -EBC GPFAX pads - $150
    -Motul RBF 600 or 660 fluid - $20
    -Galfer SBK lines for '09-'11 GSXR 1000 calipers - $100

Your track experience will be changed forever.

dudutzu, lopitt85 and The Todd like this.