1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What race fuel are you using?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 05Yamabomber, Dec 1, 2020.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

Does anyone use U4 anymore

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

If you're changing maps when you change fuel, then it does! The advantage of oxygenated fuels is that the extra oxygen in the fuel allows you to burn more fuel per cycle. The oxygen itself doesn't add power, it lets you add more fuel - which adds more power. MR12 has an oxy content of 8.7% so you should theoretically burn through 8.7% more MR12 compared to a non-oxygenated fuel.

If you're not switching maps when you switch fuels, however, then you're most likely just feeling the placebo effect consumption-wise ;)

3. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Chris, you mind telling him how much more fuel he will use over MR-12 if the O2 content of CHP+ is 18%, please? LoL

4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Watch your mouth! I dont want to hear it lol... Yikes. 8% compared to 18%? I better buy more pales.

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Have you considered U4.4 ? It’s potent but not as bad as MR12. Also much cheaper in comparison. I still drained and ran pump gas after race events, just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yes I was using U4.4 and it killed my fuel pump after one week. I am committed to CHP+, so we shall see once its tuned.

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

define "killed my fuel pump". was the screen replaced that season? i think it would be a coincidence and not the cause

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Just died. First time using race gas in the bike. Just bought it and built the bike. The gas tank leaks gas (pour) when i disconnect. Fuel pump doesnt build pressure. I was told to replace the orings. I pour gas in T-bodies it fires up. Working on getting the pump fixed.

9. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I work by a local airport...
    I had them fill up a jug of 100LL av-gas.
    100 octane with low lead content.

Or I just fill up with good pump gas.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Our local airport will NOT pump gas for anyone/anything. They'll show you the pump, talk you through using it, but that's it, you have to do it yourself.

11. ____Kurt____

____Kurt____ Active Member

100LL is a beautiful thing. Cheapest ethanol free gas you can buy, atleast that I know of. Use it in almost all the yard equipment. Never have to worry about fuel stabilizer or if it will start in the spring.

evakat likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

U4.4 is best bang for buck. MR12 is best power increase. i have no idea what that other fuel is, but i'm curious why i haven't heard of it, if it somehow, will make MORE power than MR12... U4.4 didn't destroy your fuel pump, doubt it. I know a lot of guys that run that stuff, and MR12, and yes, with most any race fuel, you should consider chasing it with pump gas to clean your system. Mr12 leaves a horrible power residue on exhaust ports/valves of an R6. every ... single... time... No getting around it. Chasing with pump gas and fogging the motor afterward REALLY helps, but even doing this religiously every weekend after racing, we still get some powdery build up on exhaust ports/valves. It's just what it is. If someone comes up with a way to add 6+HP to my bikes short of mr12? i'm willin to try ..

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I usually use Pump in my R6 for practice, and MR-12 for race day. The bike really comes alive on MR-12. (dual maps)

As far as draining it and chasing with pump gas, it's highly recommended as others have said- but it doesn't gum stuff up as bad as it used to. They changed the formula a few years back.

U4.4 is higher octane than MR-12, and is designed for higher compression engines. It makes more power than Pump, but not all that much more. And it's still $90 a can vs. $120 for MR-12.

@MELK-MAN what is this fogging procedure you speak of? Does Squirting WD-40 into the throttle bodies count?

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Well, the first dyno run using 110 octane bike did 115hp on dyno.

I installed air filter, Graves Velocity stacks, and ran CHP+ gas and now I am at 124hp on the dyno run. Im happy. I get CHP+ for $75 a pail. MR12 is $140 a pail.

As stated previously I thought the race gas destroyed my oring in my fuel pump. I think the bike was bouncing in back of the trailer hard enough to jossle the internal fuel pump loose and when I took it apart I damaged orings.

15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

we use fogging oil in a spray can.. with air box lid off, spray right into the throttle bodies. can't fog too much at once, or it can hydro lock the motor, but spray a bit into each cyl holding a low rpm. back and forth over each cylinder, then once you see some good smoke coming from exahst, just kill the engine real quick. i'm not sure what it does to the spark plugs, but we havn't had much trouble and i change plugs a couple times a season. but this seems to have helped with the crystalizing that happens on the exhaust valves..

Gino230 likes this.
  16. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Stock engine?

17. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

SS Engine, stacks, Graves exhaust, flash, and PCV

18. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Get a brand new fuel pump at Motosport for $239. I can barely find used fuel pumps for that price for my R1.
    My dealer also couldn't find part numbers to replace the orings in the pump.
    Buy a new pump

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Depending on your dyno, that seems right in line for a SS build R6. I believe mine made 118 on pump and 123 on MR-12.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Does anyone besides VP make an unleaded pump gas alternative? The T4 is great but $80 for five gallons of basically pump gas is tough to swallow. Just looking for a clean ethanol free fuel with a decent shelf life.