1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

[​IMG]

L8RSK8R likes this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@SteveThompson That looks like a DC-10, since those don't fly anymore he should be safe. LOL

CharlieY likes this.
  4. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Horrible accident. Left ORD minutes ahead of that event.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. On the Slope right now. Wind chills of 44 below today. I am just hanging on hoping the industry doesn't crash and I can get a few more years in then retire...

6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Attitude looks correct, but it crashed in a field next to a mobile home community. Specifically, about 150 feet from my girlfriend at the time. Was on my way to her place, and they hadn't closed Touhy yet, so drove right by. Disturbing doesn't cover it. Still remember the smell.

7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dang man, I dont want to go too far off topic....but what do you think of the recent ANWAR leases and only "Wildcatters" purchasing?

I still have copies of the old daily weather data we used to get, 24hr temp chart (ambient and windchill), .....sunrise and sunset, sometimes one or the other N/A'd:crackup: people I show them to, especially "Youngsters" like 25-30 dont believe them. I was talking about walking around in a T-shirt at slightly above ZERO and folks roll their eyes:rolleyes:....its because THAT was warm!

Good luck man!....we shall all see whats coming. No avoiding it now.

Back on topic....Rdrace42....are you saying a, what, MD-10 crashed 150 from someone you knew?....holy fack!!!:eek:

crashman and Gino230 like this.
  8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

It was supposed to be a joke. You guys are making it not fun!
    That was kinda the point. :D

9. CharlieY

Sorry Steve:) I was going "oh crap"....another one?????

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Walking through the factory this morning I saw a 787 with the nose gear doors open and was reminded of the acronym "ETOPS":
    Engines
    Turn
    Or
    Passengers
    Swim

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am not really following the lease sales but the majors probably stepped back due to political uncertainty. What makes me laugh is all of the noise being made about drilling in the ANWR. The envirotards would have had a point had they not said the same thing about drilling in NPRA...

It is funny you mentioned the sunrise / sunset stuff. Our next sunrise is on Jan 17th and we will get just over 24 min of "daylight".

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yes. Girlfriends trailer was 4 spots to the north of the closest damage. Some of the trailers were pretty wiped out. She never mentally recovered from the whole thing. She knew a couple of neighbors that were injured, and if I recall, I believe some died. To this day, if I get a whiff of Jet A, I have a visceral reaction to it. It's one thing seeing a plane crash on the news, but man it's a whole different thing standing there, realizing that something that large essentially disappeared, along with so many people. On a completely selfish note, she was by far the hottest woman I've ever known, and that whole deal is what broke us up. She was awesome before that.

13. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

That was not the coolest thing I have ever done. Whys that thing gotta bounce and roll so much at 30,000 feet. Lol

CharlieY and noles19 like this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Was your son scared too, or did he fly like a boss!!! :)

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  15. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

O most definitely like a boss. Little shit...:crackup:

RichB and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. CharlieY

I didnt know about the NPRA.......Envirotards is a good term. I dunno man, I felt there were massive gains in enviro-awareness on the slope when I was there (left 1995). Thats when I realized it will never be enough for some folks. I like the planet, but lets get real (theres my mistake). With Horizontal drilling and other advances we get so much from such a small footprint its really unbelievable.......I also agreed with the old adage " most of the folks worried about drilling on the slope have never been there".

Hey, is Endicot still active?

Congrats on sunrise!.....I remember a "first sunrise" where the sun looked stretched out sideways, pulled at the sides. It wasnt round.....I was told it had to do with diffraction of the light from such a severe angle AND the tilt of the earth contributing to that.....it was FRIKKIN AMAZING! I will never forget it.......Its moments in time like that I wish I would have captured with my little shitty cardboard disposable camera when I was there.....Instead I focussed on mechanical crap, dumbass.

WOW.....I dont know what else to say except....Holy Crap!.....yeah that would shake me up a bit too. Its wild the things a "Trigger" like the Jet A can do......

17. Only on Sully’s flights :)

pscook likes this.
  18. How do you not go crazy or do you just pretend you are on a giant bender in Vegas?

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Lol. Thanks for not thinking I am crazy already. :D There is no booze up here so the bender option is out. I do not think there are many people up here who are not at least a little bit tweaked either. Alot of people are affected and have these things called Happy Lights that emit a full spectrum light that mimics sunlight. I have never really had an issue with it. But it seems like people are either OK with it and stay long term or hate it and are out within 6 months. It makes me laugh when I hear people go on about the "easy" oilfield money. Come get ya some then...:crackup:

Ya, the environmental stuff is fairly stringent up here. Technically we are not supposed to piss on the ground and have to report spills of any quantity. We are supposed to report fresh water spills if they happen and wildlife has right of way on the roads. The wildlife does not seem too bothered by people either. Caribou use the pipeline as a scratching post to get mosquitos off of their back.:crackup: The environmentalists are flat out lying when it comes to North Slope operations.

Endicott is still up and running. BP is out. They sold all of their stuff to HilCorp because they were not making money. Strangely enough a smaller independent company can make money where the majors can't. It is amazing what happens when you eliminate several layers of worthless paper pushers. When HilCorp took over Milne Point it took them 2 months to go from losing money to back in the black. You would think that BP's upper management would look at that and have the sense to be embarrassed. We are actually hoping that HilCorp ramps up their drilling program as we are sole supplier right now. Here are a couple pictures just in case you are missing this shit crusted hellhole.:D Wind is gusting to 40MPH and wind chill is -30 right now.
    Trucks.jpg Fog.jpg

tl1098, Triple X and renegade17 like this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was up there a few summers ago on August 20. Checked into my room and unloaded bags so I could dry stuff out. Found a bottle of wine with a bit left, enjoyed it and tossed it in the wastebasket. Wonder what the house cleaner thought of that? :)

dh.jpg