1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 MotoAmerica Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by Hoffman900, Oct 12, 2020.

1. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Errybody gonna be on Aprillas next year. Stupid not to be.

2. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Speaking of the 890r and 2021 Zx10..........

Here are a couple of fun data graphs - (The ZX10 is fresh data, as in yesterday!)

1) 890r vs a SS Zx6R at The Ridge. The 890r was all stock on Q3s and the ZX6 on slicks, I'm the rider on both. (Note - this isn't the fastest I have been on the Zx6, rather this graph is to show the acceleration off the corners) The 890r is a ripper.

890RvsZX6R.png

2) 2021 Zx10 vs my 2019 GSXR1k at Chuckwalla. The 2021 was all stock, but with slicks and my GSXR on Q4s. My GSXR1k has a pipe, flash and down 1 on the front counter. (Note - I was not riding the Zx10 on this graph, but I was on the GSXR) The new Zx10 is so much easier to ride and amazing performance for literally not touching anything, other than rear preload. I'm impressed.

2021ZX10cs2019GSXR1k.png

Ken

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Ken am I reading that right - at the Ridge the ZX6R is roughly 3 seconds/lap faster than the 890R mods excepted? A 1:54 vs a 1:57 - including the new chicane I imagine?

4. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Yes with the chicane. I put a note in there - (Note - this isn't the fastest I have been on the Zx6, rather this graph is to show the acceleration off the corners)

I have been 1:51 on that Zx6 and I'm sure with Q4s the 890r would be in the 55s....

Ken

The Beer Hunter and younglion like this.
  5. The Beer Hunter

So, would you say a race prepped 890R would be competitive?

6. The Beer Hunter

On a somewhat tangent - i keep saying MW/SS needs to turn into Super Nakeds. Manufacturers support racing to sell bikes and right now MW/SS bikes dont sell like their supernaked counterparts (ST765, 890R, maybe add the new monster to that list.)

7. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Motor, probably....top end is lacking, though that could be aero. Chassis wise, no, or at least not without a ton of development.

Shenanigans and The Beer Hunter like this.
  8. The Beer Hunter

Thanks. I figured the stock chassis will need tweaking and aftermarket suspension options.

Edit: or is that Chromoly frame letting it down?

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Except for the lack of parts, lack of testing, lack of available bikes, transmission and electronics recall, and lack of homologation, you mean? :Poke:

Aprilla has tons of potential, for sure. Sometimes these machines are more than the sum of the published numbers. Such as the case with the KTM vs. ZX6 above.

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I think its cool that most of your apex speeds are so close, even though one bike is better developed and on better tires. Is that how you perform a test run? Push the same amount on two different bikes?

11. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Fixed...

HA! The slow point.....is the slow point. For sure there are variables, but less than you think. (I can show you graphs where the slow point speed is higher - but it is at the same point)

It's more about applying the same techniques, so I can see what the outcome is. But without the same techniques, how can you compare?

https://soundcloud.com/ken-hill-534763963/podcast-37-whats-it-take-to-be-a-test-rider

Ken

stk0308 and Newyork like this.
  12. The Beer Hunter

Well if this was the logic we used we'd all still be on FZR400s.

13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I thought I read yesterday MotoAmerica is adding 8lbs to the zx636. I guess the crying prevailed.
    :moon::moon:

henry_carlson, Newyork and GNC like this.
  14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

That many teams going to be taking the plunge on the hot new grenade?

15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yes I saw that too.
    I wonder how that will end up, if Richie isnt there we probably wont see the ZX6 upfront again. Unless Mesa does a SS race again.

2OLD2BFAST, Quicktoy and koth442 like this.
  16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I know of 6 racers making the switch.

17. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Yea, the 8lbs will have some impact but Richie raced super well. Wonder what they will complain about next season.

Quicktoy and koth442 like this.
  18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Mike

are you running any SVs in LW or going totally with the Ape?

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The number you have dialed has been disconnected and is no longer in service...

JJJerry, stk0308, Gino230 and 3 others like this.
  20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Carbed 1st gen motors in Kawasaki frames, best of the best.

RRP likes this.