1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airline Tickets, What to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

As I'm sure you have heard me moan on many occasions, I had a dream bike tour of Japan planned last year, and it got scrubbed a week before we were going to leave. At that time, the airline (United) was only holding ticket credit for flying a year after the tickets were purchased (I bought the tickets months before the actual trip).

After explaining that the tour would probably be the same time next year, they gave me an "extension" to mid-April. Well, now I've found out that the Japan tour is cancelled *again* in 2021, so I'm stuck with two very expensive ticket credits that expire in mid April (you have to *fly* before then, not schedule the flight before then).

I'd like to use this credit, but am having a tough time figuring out how. I looked through every racing event calendar in the world (that I can travel to) including WRC, F1, etc. and nothing in that time frame. I did find an Aussie touring car race at Mt. Panorama (not the Bathurst 1000), but can't seem to get any tickets there in that timeframe.

In non-Covid days, if there were no racing events I'd just fly over to the UK or some place and tourist around. Or maybe go to a big city and hang out. But both seem impossible or undesirable in that timeframe (before mid-April).

Any ideas from the beeb? Right now, the leading candidate is going to Yellowstone and renting a snowmobile, but maybe I missed something. World travelers have any ideas? If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll just fly somewhere first class and fly home.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Is it "the money" in your united wallet? Do you have to use it on just two flights or can you use it over multiple flights?

I ask because when I've had a balance in there I was able to use it on as many or few flights as I wanted and could also use it on upgrades but that was a few years back and I have no idea if they changed how you had to use it.

If you can use it on a bunch of different flights, just haul ass around the country for long weekends or just "to go."

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Call the airline and double check everything. All the major ones have way extended rebooking deadlines and such.

Yzasserina likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, that's how Delta does it, it's just the amount you spent on the ticket as a credit with them - and no rebooking fees since the covids. Which reminds me, I think I have some money sitting there....

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are you sure about WRC? Sweden is canceled but Monte Carlo is definitely in that timeframe.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sorry about your cancelled Japan trip :(

I had a United flight this morning to Nairobi that I cancelled about a week ago. On the United website I was able to cancel my ticket and get a 100% refund back to my credit card. Seems pretty crappy that I can do this, but you're stuck with expiring credits. I would call United and start raising hell until they refund you. Airlines can't afford to piss off customers these days.

TurboBlew and Yzasserina like this.
  7. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I don't think I have to use it for only one flight, but was more looking for someplace to have some fun this year since Japan is dead. Don't love flying anymore (I used to business travel in the days before Sept 11), so not that keen on taking multiple flights for fun. Maybe one first class round-trip to burn off the credit, but even then, where?

I might pursue a refund, but I am doubtful. I'm not a fan of United (I only picked them to fly on the 787), so don't have any other flying miles with them or anything to bargain with. Getting the extension was a huge effort.

WRC-wise, Monte seems kind of iffy still, and the tour companies have dropped it for 2021. I could do it on my own, but am so unfamiliar with the region and the layout of a WRC round, that I was hoping to do a tour of some sort.

So, if you could go anywhere in the world before mid-April (by air), where would you go?

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Things are picking up in the Maldives. But I would imagine that there are still comparatively interesting prices since they are not operating at full capacity yet.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

About how much credit do you have to piss away?

Out of Florida, where would I go? Big question is where can I get into. :(

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Well, you really can't go many places without a Covid test, and Europe is off-limits right now and certainly will be in April. We're heading to Brazil in a few weeks, so if you're willing to get a test going there, its a great location. Keep in mind that when you do leave the USA, you will be required to have a negative Covid test to return.

You could also look at Mexico, Colombia, a few of the Balkan countries, Ireland, a few Caribbean countries and Costa Rica.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why? That's wuhan cooties central, man, plus Brazil kinda sucks.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Dude, I love Brazil. Plus, Bolsanaro is unlikely to lock it down, so its a relatively safe bet. We're gonna bounce around there for 2 months.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Where you going to while there?

Hmmm, any place in the world? Slovenia with some time in Switzerland but not in winter, UK but that's locked down, never been to Vietnam but I heard it kicks ass and is cheap. . . I did really like Argentina.

Really, Switzerland and then into Slovenia and given time, slovakia and maybe Czech republic

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Book a flight and cancel it the next day. You'll get credits that will be extended out. I had a first class round trip to Vegas last year a week before the lockdowns went into effect. I cancelled it and in the time since I've booked/cancelled/rebooked and eventually I've taken 2 roundtrip flights and I still have a couple hundred in my travel bank left over that is good though until some time in 2022.

Go and re-check the fine print. They've dropped a bunch of their previous fees and penalties now.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

What about in the US? It doesn't have to be another country. I was thinking of Vancouver as well, but am still looking up the restrictions there, so it may be out of bounds as well.

The Japan trip was very expensive (we saved up for it), and we got a full refund for that (thanks Ayers), so I can spend a bit beyond the ticket credit if it is a worthwhile destination. Just don't know what that would be these days.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Miami or Hawaii. Everywhere else is too cold unless you want to ski or snowmobile.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

BTW, I can tell you how to do Japan on the cheap without a tour company when you're ready to go next time. Its a great country to explore by train.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, I think I'd do first or at least business class to Hawaii. Hotels might cost ya' but it'd be a vacation to remember.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A month in Rio, then a week each in Belo Horizonte, Floripa, Porto Allegre, Recife.