1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate RC Car Race

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

scottn likes this.
  2. wookie

wookie Well-Known Member

How long until they can lap faster than a human driver??

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depending on the driver they already can.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

:timeforabeer:

418 likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

"RC" stands for radio-controlled. Autonomous vehicles are not RC.

One of my coworkers did a Darpa challenge back when it was for autonomous vehicles. They were hoping for finishing the course faster than running speed. Its amazing how far this stuff has come in such a short time.

6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's just a self driving car on the track. Lyft allows you to order a self driving car in Vegas, it takes two guys in the front seats to operate the thing.

7. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Depending on what they’ve programmed the cars to do in the event of a crash, this could be really interesting to watch.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I hope it's not just a parade of cars, but actual racing. Can the program take the car to the limit and deal with a bunch of variables like temp and wind changes, the aero from another car, shaded track? I wonder if they have done much 200 mph testing anywhere?

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

With the availability of sensors and processors being able to calculate those variables at such a high rate of speed, yes. Just depends on how much technology they are capable of using. The autonomous part takes the human element (fear) out of the equation. The only fear left now is destroying the machine.

5axis likes this.
  10. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

It's a student project. Picture a bunch of 18-21 year olds building a car and set your expectations accordingly.

11. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Boring

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Ever watch a modern power loom at work? Absolutely perfect, fast, productive and boring. No skill what so ever in operating it other than a stop button. Is this what motor racing is to become?

13. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

So let us make it risky and interesting. The programmer/engineer has to ride in the vehicle, but has no ability to control any of it from the vehicle.
    He's just spam in a can along for the ride.

KneeDragger_c69 and sdg like this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think the cars will be hard to handle and we'll see some crashes. I think a human can race better. I don't think we are quite there yet to create a robot that can out-race us. How far will the robot go to out-race another robot?

15. Elsinore

Elsinore Well-Known Member

They should name the new league eRacing......you know, to showcase the future of human brain cells. :whoosh:

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

With the availability of AI.. It could be interesting. The "driver" has to be able to override the system telling him/her that a specific pass or wait strategy does/doesn't have a specific success level. Hence the ability of a human to give 110% or make the car do something it should be physically capable of doing.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AKA humans being too crazy to use logic when racing :D

5axis likes this.
  18. Elsinore

Elsinore Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to applause and cheering after every crash. :clap:
    Scud missle that zig-zags down the straight and uses the ass end of anything in front of it as the next target. Digity-digity process of elimination.
    If you think hard enough, the finish line might not be the top AI priority. Rubbin is Racin. :beer:

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Its an international undergrad and grad student project with a $1 million purse. I don't even think the various SAE "student" competitions have that kind of purse.

Here's one of the largest/winningest SAE teams. Given the purse, I expect larger/better than even this team. Well, I also expect this team to compete assuming the pandemic doesn't stop them.
    https://www.monashmotorsport.com

Also, the teams aren't making the car.

20. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Sorry, too much seat of the pants "feel" needed to race bike/cars, especially as tires wear, fuel load changes, or weather changes. My .02
    Maybe a 1 or 2 lap "flier" possible, but a race, nope.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.