1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A modern day miracle: Sitting in a chair flying thru the air at 550 mph drinking a beer. That's crazy!

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Very Cool!

Enjoy and both of you have a great time.

My first flight was in college, when as a radio engineer I flew with the team from Champaign, IL to Columbia, SC to cover a game. DC-3 and DC9 on the outbound, DC-8 and DC-3 on the return. I still remember being impressed by the wood paneling, nicely booked, in the DC8. I also remember dragging the 50+ pound broadcast equipment box (a wooden tool-box kind of contraption with a handle and no wheels) through the airports at both ends and for the plane change in Chicago.

I agree that its hard to relax when you have no control. Later in life, I was flying 70-100+ flights a year for about 20 years. I learned to let it go.
    Relax, realize that the pilots are pretty damned good at what they do, and are supported by a crack traffic control system and personnel. They are not amateurs.
    It'll be OK.

BigBird likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My first flight was 3 June 1990. Started in Fargo....landed at my destination in San Antonio, Texas.....Basic Training.

Except for takeoff and landing being a little more exciting...it's like riding in a bus.

Now the first flight across the Pacific in April 1996...that was a little more interesting for me. Again...riding in a bus....BUT, after 8 hours
    I got a little stir crazy...."How much fuel is in this fucking thing?" That and the poor military brats headed over there with their parents were
    reaching their limits of tolerance for being in their seats didn't help. I was right there kinda with them....but when you're under 10, hard to understand.
    It gave me perspective on just how huge and vast the Pacific Ocean is...rescue missions out there are truly needle in a haystack affairs.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I know several pilots, but I have sort of a funny story about a pilot that's related to motorbikes.

Around about 2002 I was looking to get back into racing after taking a few years off with the arrival of my kid. I see an ad somewhere for an EX500 race bike for sale in Oceanside, CA. I drive down to have a look. The house is sort of shabby. Its about 9 AM. The guy opens the garage door and comes into the garage so we can have a look and talk. He's about 30 years old, completely disheveled, dressed like a homeless person, holding onto a can of Budweiser beer and reeks of alcohol. I start making a little small talk and get around to asking him what he does for a living. "I'm a pilot". LMAO!

ChemGuy likes this.
  6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

One of my fellow classmates in college didn't take his first flight until after graduation and we graduated as Aerospace Engineers. That always seemed funny to me.

HPPT and BigBird like this.
  7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

My first flight was in 1962, Anchorage to Kodiak in a DC-3.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Mine was some time about a week or so prior to a devastating hail storm in the Texas panhandle that took place on 24AUG79.

I flew from Lubbock to Houston to my uncle's and from there we went to Disneyworld. I came home to my house being destroyed.

It got us out of that damn trailer finally! But I'll always associate Disney with that storm.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Not my first flight, but when I left boot camp headed to the Keys, my final leg was on a civilian DC3 transport from Miami to Marathon. Didn't even have a side door (or it was open). We were only a couple thousand feet up the entire flight. Definetly cool.

10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

My first flight was in my mom's lap when I was an infant. As I grew up and could sit on a couple of telephone books to reach the yoke, I was the designated roll servo during IFR when my Dad was looking at charts and talking to controllers. I could quite easily follow a VOR needle by the age of 7, and keep the wings level. We did lot's of traveling and I really wish I could provide the same for my kids, but the price is just to high now. You used to be able to buy a nice new plane for 2 to 3x the price of an average sedan, now it's 2 to 3x the price of a Ferrari.

Triple X likes this.
  11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Right before Christmas I flew from ATL to ORD. The kid sitting next to me was in fatigues and looked like he was pretty new to the Military. He was writing frantically before takeoff and landing. I glanced over and saw that he was in near terror about flying. 4 pages in a notebook about falling 30,000 feet, death in a crash, engine failures, wishing he could pass out before take off. I felt bad for the kid but didn't say anything to him. I'm guessing he wasn't coming from Jump School.

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

He could have been. The AF usually only flys a few hundred feet of the ground when they act as a taxi service for paratroopers. Some people feel safer being that low.

Also he could have been BA Baracus. BA hated to fly but he was a bad ass...

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I do know he wanted to GTFO of the plane, so maybe.

14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

And... they want to get 'there' just as much as you do, if not more.
    My first flight was as an 'observer' on a Michigan Sport Parachute Association flight in 1959. Many flights, on many different aircraft, before I was ten. The Howard Jobmaster was the most enthralling.

15. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Question. Probley a silly one Will. Will my phone stream YouTube, videos, etc while in the air?

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

No. Some planes have wifi that you can buy though.

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

On my 14th birthday my Dad said he had to drop something off at a friend’s house and I tagged along. When we got there, we all went for a walk to his barn out behind his house. We slid the doors open and sure enough this guy owned his own plane, and offered to take me up. Looking back it still seems surreal. We took off from the field in his backyard. He did multiple stunts: a full 360 loop, barrel roll, and he skimmed the ground right towards his house and pitched it straight up at the last minute. He even let me fly it to the next town.

That was my first time flying. It was awesome in the true sense of the word.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. rwdfun

rwdfun

As stated you need to pay for external internet wifi and I’m not sure it’s fast enough to stream video but most planes you can connect to the plane wifi for free and use your device for the infotainment system. Bring an iPad if you have one and you can watch their movies, TV shows and play games on your device rather than the tiny seat back screen (if they even have them)

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Most likely not. Some planes have wifi, which you need to pay for. Most plane wifi can't support 120+ people streaming individually selected videos, so they don't allow normal streaming.
    Southwest, and possibly other airlines allow you to stream their on-board sourced content on your phone or tablet. That usually requires installing their app.
    Check your airline's web site for entertainment info.

If you have a movie you want to watch, download it to your device before you leave home. You can watch that in flight on your device, with headphones (no speakers)

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

If you get lucky, get a window seat just aft of the wing. On takeoff watch the wing tip, you'll get to see the wing bend. :D