1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go get ‘em Ricky B

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Can’t wait.

turbulence, jd41, Mud Whistle and 5 others like this.
  2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I was hoping for a second Ricky Bobby movie.... Shake-n-bake..

BigBird likes this.
  3. Knotcher

I’d take some improved Dakar coverage of moto over more Talladega Nights (as much as I love that film), especially the motul originals “Malle Moto” class. That shit is insane.

If you aren’t familiar with Malle Moto, it’s basically doing the Dakar Rally on a moto with nearly 0 support.

https://blog.ktm.com/lyndon-poskitt-malle-moto-and-the-true-spirit-of-the-dakar/

"America is all about speed, hot nasty bad-ass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The real Ricky B has it.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Watched the movie - thanks for that. Had no idea what rally racing is/was before that.

5. Knotcher

NBC has decent highlight coverage. It starts on January 3rd.

henry_carlson likes this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Apparently there was a prolog stage today. Ricky in P1 by 6 seconds.
    Andrew Short in 6th and Howes in 13th.
    :flag:

Airbag vests being mandatory for the bikes will hopefully help reduce the injuries.

Knotcher and Phl218 like this.
  7. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

i love people that live like him . has a great prospective on life. just does what feels right, and thinks what he needs to reach his goals.

8. 2blueYam

Not a good day for Ricky as he lost 18 minutes opening the stage. It is a long rally and he can come back, but now he will have to push in some places and that can lead to crashes and mechanical issues.
    Howes now the top American in 8th and A. Short is in 12th.

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Navigation is not his strongest ability. Now he can follow tracks and simply check his nav. Strange that he lost that time today - it was not a difficult nav special.

12 days is a while. But it has turned into a series of sprints. Africa 2007 was that last of the old style Dakars: 17 days.

Cheers,

Dave

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

To add to the difficulty of making up time, there is a new tire rule this year: a tire must be used 2 consecutive days. They have been marked and catalogued. Mousses, however, may be changed each day. So, tire care becomes more of an element. A big concern on rocky pistes, not so much in sand and dunes.

Cheers,

Dave

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A correction re: tires. Competitors in the top class are limited to 6 tires for the 12 day event. You can put on a fresh tire any day, except the marathon stage. But, when you are out of fresh tires, you are relegated to using worn tires. 6 total for the event. My apologies . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

No idea about the Malle stuff, they said they have a classic class for the cars, but on a modified route/schedule, which I'm not sure they started yet.

Re: content, I think Red Bull is doing 20 minute recaps, the Dakar YT channel is putting out 4-5 minute recaps per class.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/events/dakar-rally
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dakar

Any other sources?

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

i have the redbullTV app and it's showing the 20 mins per day.

better than nuffin.

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A BIG day for Ricky. 2d overall behind his teammate. And, Bam Bam has historically been very fast and very unable to finish.

Toby 2 Pies Price is back in 28th.

Andrew Short is out after his bike refused to restart at gas stop.

Examples of how dramatically things can change in a day.

Steady as she goes Ricky . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

turner38 likes this.
  15. Knotcher

No worries. Ricky B. hauls ass.

16. Knotcher

NBC has coverage every day.

Have you watched Lyndon Poskitt's youtube series when he was competing in Malle Moto?

ducnut likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

Woo Hoo! Another American in the hunt for the bike class win. Skyler Howes 4th in today's stage takes the overall lead. Ricky fell back to 13th. It is always hard being the first out on the stage, but apparently this year, even more so.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Recording, watching. New to this... what is a mousse?

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

There’s a scene in “There’s Something About Mary” that explains it...

Oh wait. That was hair gel. ;)

Phl218 likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

foam ring that goes in the tire instead of the tube. Mousse is more forgiving to pinches and holds up well when impacted. only downside is, it doesn't age well, but since they're allowed to swap it daily, no big deal.

Yzasserina likes this.