1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What race fuel are you using?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 05Yamabomber, Dec 1, 2020.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Just curious to see what race fuel people are using. I just finished a SS build on the R6 and been talking to a couple different builders on race fuel. I have one builder who states MR12, and another who stated CHP+.

Talking with VP Fuels Tech support and they state you need to drain the tank after use when using MR12, and also flush the system with another fuel when using MR12 since it gums everything up.

So now I am really leaning towards CHP+, as its similar to MR12 but you dont need to do the extra maintenance.

Anyone use CHP+? Its uncommon for sure but the builder who suggested it is very reputable in the industry.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm curious how much you can gain over good pump fuel on a SS build?

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

What's your goal? The most possible HP? The most reliable? Cost effective?

My last engine was built for racing in MA. So I used a fuel I could get locally that closely resembled the MA spec fuel - F&L Xtreme 100. It was safe, inexpensive, and I could reliably get it at a distributor 15min from my house.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Great questions.

We ran pump gas on our R6, when running club stuff and then Sunoco spec fuel when running AMA events. Our bike had a thinner head gasket to increase compression, I can't remember if they allowed decking as well and if that was done? It would have made more power with MR12 at club events, but that is a huge increase in expenses, so if you are doing it only for reliability I wouldn't run it.

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Kind of along the lines of what these gents have already said, I would add the availability of fuels at the tracks you race may be of a consideration.

Your fuel "supply chain" is going to be a factor. If you're short on fuel, what's at the pumps at your tracks? OR if you don't feel like transporting pails of fuel with you....safety, etc.

I run either VP C9 (I think it's C9....will have to verify in my garage) or T4 in my Ohvale's and my R1 just because I don't want any Ethanol on those bike's fuel systems.
    But, like at Pitt, NJ, or Summit point there's race gas at the pump, too. My R1 isn't mapped specifically for any of those fuels, but I feel it runs a little better on those non-ethanol fuels, and I don't have to drain it after every event like I would with MR12.

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Rob good questions. Of course I want more HP. The build was a MA SS. However I was a little underwelmed when I did a dyno run. It needs to be re-tuned, the ECU and the PC, but I need to decide on a gas first. I need to squeeze as much HP as possible as most classes I am entering are superbike and they are walking me down the straights. So, before I go and rebuild the bike to be a Superbike, I need to see what I can get out of re-tuning it with better fuel. MR12 is just so expensive. The CHP+ was recommended by a builder I know many of you know (not my builder in San Diego). I just want opinions for sure. I am willing to pony up for race fuel if it gives me some extra. The CHP+ is around $85 for 5 gallons where the MR12 ranges up to $150 per 5 gallons.

7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I am also 195lbs so am heavy for the R6 (I JUST LOST 35lbs) but with athletic build I dont see me getting below 185lbs and being healthy. Im working with a VP supplier in Ramona and should be able to pre-order fuel for the weekend through him.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Last time I managed to race WERA West, most everyone knew who built everyones kit. I wouldn't be surprised if your builder had a good idea why you are getting walked. It could be your flash, your engine, your riding, or some combination. I'm pretty sure the guys winning C SBK races in WERA West are on SS motors too - Edgar, Harm, Keir, Mookie. I dont know about others. You might not be getting walked because of your engine.

$85/pail is a good price. F&L 100 is more than that, $105/pail IIRC.

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Those are the usual suspects. Same builder did mine, but not getting same HP (talked with Mookie this weekend). I wont go into too many details as that is another problem but for now I need to get the most out of this motor. Whether its actually a MA SS build or not is TBD. 115hp with a full pipe and tune, and a "MA SS build".

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Nothing makes hp like MR12.

Gino230, 418, MELK-MAN and 4 others like this.
  11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Or smells like it

12. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

MR12 oxygen content 8%. CHP+ 18% oxygen. In that case CHP+ has to be the superior fuel (making more power) CHP+ is cheaper and less hassle to use. I dont know if it is legal CHP+ might be the fuel to run this summer.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Well, I will be the guinea pig and get the bike tuned on CHP+.

14. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Let us know how it turns out.

15. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

The only 'advantage' CHP+ has is cost, otherwise MR-12 is a better VP product. For those reading and interested in trying CHP+, be very cautious of using it in higher elevations (over 4k').

And there are/were plenty of fuels better (quality/power/smell) then MR-12, VP created a stronghold on the distribution of fuel in the U.S. so it's the most prevalent.

16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I think the maintenance is another factor. Tech Support at VP also mentioned that with MR12 you should flush it out of system after use with another fuel and also drain the tank. It gums up quickly in the bike. CHP+ does not require the same maintenance.

17. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

As far as cost goes.... I just ordered 4 pails at $75 each from my local distributor. That is a great price, so if it is comparable to MR12 then win-win IMO.

18. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

If the chp+ requires 15-20% more fuel, are you really saving anything? And it’s not comparable, unless you’re speaking in pretty broad terms...

Either way, good luck.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

CHP+ is leaded, which you may not care about, but it also has a slower burn rate than MR12, which you likely will care about. That will effectively retard your timing at high rpm, requiring you to adjust for that on the dyno.

I use MR12.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but getting walked on the straights is actually almost never an issue of power.. it's an issue of drive. Put the same several-hundred-dollars you would spend per race weekend toward more track time - or better yet some 1:1 coaching - and I guarantee you will solve your problem sooner.

badmoon692008, mag and xTomKx like this.
  20. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

It may be my cheap side talking but I always feel like my bike goes through MR12 much faster than pump gas.