1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Huh, I think the last time a MX bike came from the factory with a 18" rear was 1981 or something? So the 18" bias is that a taller sidewall gives more bump absorption, and of course rim protection. Off road bikes have unique suspensions and transmission ratios because MX/SX bikes have much different needs.

And you mentioned SoCal and MX so my comment was that MX bikes ALWAYS come with 19" rears.

2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I dont have much to add other than after buying track tires, even the most expensive dirt tires are cheap in comparison. I bought a set of Tusk DA tires for my DR and the set was about $105! If Tusk has a tire that fits you're needs give them a try. I've been impressed with the DA for what I use them for.

3. It’s hilarious listening to dirt folks complain about tire costs.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah, but is it not their highest expense?

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It depends if you race a 2T or 4T and your level of mechanical sympathy.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I hear ya. Racing is an whole other game.
    I have a friend who's as naturally talented as any top riders but, damn, can that boy tear shit up. :crackup:

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It is probably ours. We change them more often than most though. The two stroke bikes are so stinking reliable and cheap to maintain. My bike has 40 hours on it and hasn’t needed anything but tires, air filter cleanings and oil changes. Is due for rear brakes and a brake fluid change.

Spent a little on Kris’s bike, we bought it used, put 10-15 hours on it then went through it and spent 4-500 plus a suspension tune.

8. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

so how do you ride with motocross boots? i bought some a while back to try with supermoto and they were so stiff i couldn’t shift and had no feel for the rear brake, so i quickly switched back to my road race boots..

i just bought another set and they’re still as stiff as i remember. they don’t bend at all. i’m not sure how you’re supposed to get your foot under the shifter, and it feels like there would be no finessing the rear break, it would be either 0% or full stomp... anyone have any tricks to these things?

a couple things of note, i wear size 13 so these things are gigantic.

they’re also alpinestars tech 3’s... so entry level motocross boots?
    but i didn’t want to drop a ton of money knowing what i knew about the last time trying them.

i might be the weirdo wearing his road race style boots on the trail :crackup:

9. turner38

Roll your knee out.

Breaking them in helps a bunch.
    I wear Gaerne SG10’s and don’t even notice them anymore.

pscook likes this.
  10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

They will break in, they just feel different. It takes some time to get used to them. But, the size might be a limiting factor, so that's one more thing to get used to. You might look for a longer shift lever to help provide a little more room around the toe piece.

I really don't recommend wearing road race boots as they will not protect you from toe issues when you bang into a stump or rock. See my example here. If I had been wearing anything less protective I am certain that I would be in worse shape than I am now.

turbulence likes this.
  11. turbulence

what do you mean roll your knee out?

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

stop buying cheap entry level boots. buy at least a alpinestars tech7 and or something with a hinged ankle. the tech7's are like wearing street shoes, no break in required.

you really need the hinged movable ankle, or they will be stiff until you break them in... could take years, for some people. dont ride trails in your RR boots, YOU WILL BE SORRY, WHEN YOU HIT A ROOT, ROCK, RUT, AND IT GRABS YOUR FOOT. OR IF YOU LAND A JUMP/ WHOOP, DROP WRONG, AND YOU TACO YOUR FOOT. tacoing of the foot, can happen with cheap mx boots too. your results may vary. Ski

13. turner38

Your Knee, move it away from the gas tank with toe under shifter.

TurboBlew and turbulence like this.
  14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Tech 3s are pretty much the worst boots for break in. I rode my xr100 supermoto with them but it's not great...
    Try better boots and it's instantly comfortable. Boots that are hinged are best look at forma predator.

turbulence likes this.
  15. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The taller shin on MX boots is nice to have when you slip off the foot peg, your foot catches the ground and then said foot peg drills your calf. That, and for those stuck in colonial times with a kickstarter, it’s nice to have when the engine kicks back!

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Entry level boots are stiff because they don’t have any joints to them. All off-road boots are way stiffer than road race boots though.

you’ll develop feel for the rear brake and the shifter you just know where it is.

17. turbulence

sounds like i need to change boots. thanks guys

18. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i have the tech 3s with the all terrain sole... love em. great bang for the buck. do u have the modern sole one? They are stiff and clunky compared to a road race boot but they get better with time. watch the rev zilla u tube review... apparently the all terrain sole has a lower profile toe box.

13 is huge... i 2nd the longer shifter

turbulence likes this.
  19. turbulence

hmm. i’m not sure what sole it has.. it’s rounded.. not like a gaerne

20. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

If you have a dealer that carries high end boots (extremely rare these days) it’s best to try them all on. I run Tech 7s and my buddy had me convinced I need to switch to SIDI. Luckily I found a dealer that carried them and Gargne but they were both too tight for me in the toe box.
    The Alpinestars are comfy but I don’t like the dead feeling I get from the thick soles.

masshole likes this.