1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious question on a clavicle

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Wish it was racing related. Working on a boat in Cabo on a serious night party. Had a hard fall cuts and bruises but my shoulder, mid chest is not right, swollen, things are clicking for real in my collar bone. My question is does it go away? Can the bones line up?? Can feel things grinding on the left side. Have a charter coming up where I need to work. I know it broken, but in Mexico, can I tough it out or is surgery necessary??

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

From your description, I wouldn't count on self healing. YMMV

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  3. Captain Morgan

trying to tough it out but working one handed

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You should put your arm in a sling and get a x-ray. X-ray is just to make sure it's close to lining up and doesn't threaten the artory which it can. If it doesn't then you can tough it out

BigBird likes this.
  5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I realise theres an overwhelming amount of everything experts on here,but go to a doctor. Clavicles can heal on their own or not. If you gotta get back in action asap get it plated.

6. Captain Morgan

unfortunalty rum takes care of most of my worries, but when I move my left arm the bones seem to scrape the left side of my collor bone. But the is work to do, bacon and eggs

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's your choice, of course. I'm not a medical expert by any means, but if pieces are moving, they are unlikely to reconnect without immobilization of the break...and delay might result in extended down time to correct the problem.

cha0s#242 and TurboBlew like this.
  8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

What kind of range of motion (pain free) do you have?

Sounds like possible AC separation and are you certain it is broken?

Longer left untreated the worse it is to fix...mine is fucked from my Navy years.

britx303 likes this.
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

If you go to the hospital they'll sling it properly for you and make sure nothing is really fucked.. Either way you're working one handed and will. Only miss a day at the hospital.. the people I knew who moved to Mexico tried to luve close to the boarder for things like cancer treatments. Otherwise they said the level of care was pretty good.

10. Captain Morgan

In a prediciment, don't want to fuck up my job where I was clearly the idiot, tough it out to make things work and not get fired??

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Consider the long term implications...if it doesn't heal properly, your worth in your current career is diminished. At least get it checked out.

joec and Phl218 like this.
  12. Captain Morgan

Up by the left side of my throat is really swollen, trying not th move it much but feel a gringing and bones not lining up

13. Bloodhound

Where along the collar bone? At the shoulder joint where the head of the shoulder is? If so, I wouldn't recommend dicking the dog....or waiting to get the shoulder fixed.

14. Captain Morgan

Not a fan of doctors, In Mexico, so my original question, can a collor bone fracture heal itself with out surgery?

15. britx303

Good point on AC. And really there is so many moving mechanical parts in the entire shoulder,anything is possible. Rum runner,you need an ortho to do an mri if you want to know what youve really done for sure.

16. Captain Morgan

3/4 the way up

17. britx303

Yes or no. They sometimes do,and many times dont.

badmoon692008 and Bloodhound like this.
  18. Bloodhound

Oh...that sounds like a group 3 fracture... Nobody here can accurately diagnose that one for ya. May wanna bite the bullet and have it looked into.

19. britx303

A sister of mine crashed her dirtbike 5 years ago and broke her clavicle. She went to 3 different doctors and all of them told her to let it heal on its own. BIG mistake. Its still broken and the ends have calcified over

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Go with your instinct, keep the job. You know that you're not going to live that long anyway.