1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt vs. minis? What translates over to road racing the best?

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I'm looking to add another bike to the stable for next year, something that can add more seat time without the travel requirements of additional track days or races.

I'm looking at a smaller dirt bike like a KLX140, OR an asphalt mini like an XR100.

On the dirt side, my buddy has a dirt course I could ride whenever I want. The cons for dirt is that I'd have to shell out roughly $1K for dirt gear on top of $1,500 for a decent KLX. I also have near-zero dirt experience, but I like the idea of it for the most part.

On the road mini side, I could just buy an XR100, swap the front wheel and slap some BT45s on it and go. No new gear required. But, I don't have a specific area in mind yet to ride it - mostly it'd be neighborhood and parking lot stuff and very occasional trips to the kart track (3 hours away).

Which option would you choose? Does one translate much better to road racing?

Thanks in advance.

2. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Both. XR100’s on dirt/clay.

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What he just said

racerx43 likes this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This would be a pretty cheap option - just have two sets of wheels. :beer:

5. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

The xr100 as a dirt bike is going to suck.

Senna likes this.
  6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Get rid of the 19” front all together and either run the scooter tires in the dirt or get a set of 16” DS tires. I think the good set are called trailwinds? Maybe trailhawk? Something like that.
    I mean I wouldn’t ride trails with it, but an XR100 on 16’s with DS or scooter tires in a dirt field is both great for training and unbelievably fun. Especially if you get a few other friends to do it as well. :D

backcountryme likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

where are you located? A TTR is a lil more money but also more capable in the dirt duty.

8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Same thought as you. XR good for kart track and dirt oval. Maybe YZ125 good for those and a bit of trail riding.

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Iowa. I’d skip the TTR and get a 140 at that point I think.

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Only if you're jumping it

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dont you guys have ice racing during the winter? :D

Senna likes this.
  12. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

100cc minis are not what most consider a dirtbike unless you are 12 yo.

13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Not that I’ve found. Most of that stuff is in Wisconsin.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

On my buddy’s track, anything much bigger than a 140/150 is going to feel huge as it’s a pretty tight track. An XR felt pretty at home, a KLX was a bit big on it but I only putted around it a few times.

True motocross is out and I don’t see myself trail riding out here since the OHVs are pretty spread out and not great.

15. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I ride enduro in the winter. For most part I love the sport but also it's good practice for road racing. Riding mostly sandy terrain is good for practicing sliding and upsets from hitting obstacles. But not all of it transfers to road racing. For example in the dirt we use mostly rear brake and little bit of front. Body position is totally different. Vision is different.

I raced with many youngsters that progressed from minis. They have great body positioning and late braking skills. Most of it transfers over to road racing.

TurboBlew and Senna like this.
  16. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

If you want to learn how to ride,do it in the dirt.

17. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Search around for some flat track races in your area. Get a Honda CRF150F or a KLX140 and get to sliding!

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

my crf150's handle bars look like they are from whoville from the high sides and crashes on a dirt oval track we cut in a field. crazy how much fun it was to just go around in circles sliding.

Whatever riding is more accessible and you can do more of gets my vote for helping on the road course.

Senna likes this.
  19. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i have a kart track 10 min from my house so i bought a FS450.

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

just for the record, the klx140 is NOT A DIRT BIKE. it is a smaller stature, kids, beginner trail bike.

not to be mean, or a douche but, sportbike, racing people dont really have the slightest clue about REAL DIRT BIKES, other than they clutch and have standard shift, like a stock sport bike.

if you start on a dirt bike, sliding, jumping, avoiding trees, using berms, and terrain for turning, etc... you understand body position, bike inputs, other than the bars, and traction limitations before, you get on a bike that has dots, dot race, or slicks, with immense more traction than a dirt bike. You understand the bike is going to slide and move around, and you get "comfortable" with it. you learn how to gather it back up, and keep going, without yardsaling everything too.

starting on a sport bike, or street bike, then going to dirt, you are so far behind the curve it will make you frustrated, and humble VERY FAST. everyone has to start somewhere, in both disciplines... dirt (mx, enduro, harescrambles etc..), flat track, transposes to street, sportbike racing, more than the other way around, BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS.

I have saw lots of really great sport bike guys/gals (inc ama/wera racers), think "oh, these things are cheap plastic, and this guy or that girl rides them so, how hard could it be?" only to be on the ground more than upright, and walk away from the challenge, not learning anything.

if i were you, i would do a camp, like robby bobby's, texas tornado, american supercamp, etc... use their equipment, see what you like and dont, then make a choice. once you have the basics, it will be easier to get a dirt bike, and trail ride, mx, practice, ice, flat track, and it WILL IMPROVE YOUR BIKE CONTROL ON A SPORT BIKE!

Your results may vary. Ski