Even Formula 1 Drivers think F1 is boring

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 25, 2020.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Max Verstappen:

“We need the racing in F1 to be more exciting and drivers to be able to follow other cars more closely and not that qualifying is the deciding factor during a race weekend as it is right now,” began the nine-time F1 race winner....Take a look at the MotoGP Championship for example. Even if you qualify 10th, you can still win the race. That hardly happens in Formula 1

https://www.motogp.com/en/in+the+me...lify-10th-you-can-still-win-verstappen/359375

j cal, SpeedyE and Phl218 like this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

It's like playing play station.

i quit watching formula 1 back in 2001 i think. and it was still somewhat exciting back then.

my fear is that motogp is heading in the same direction with all the "under revision from race direction" shit.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They have designed themselves into a corner. Unless they kill the undertray and diffusers they are never going to achieve any wheel to wheel racing that doesn't involve one of the drivers screwing up.

5axis and BigBird like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I quit when the Fast and Furious NOS Button (DRS) was added .

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So why are you commenting on it?

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

He said MotoGP :)

Also, I did give it a second go after the Netflix series, but outside of one race, it was usually processional, so nothing really changed ;)

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The point remains. I am a fan of both F1 and MotoGP. I am trying to understand why someone would specifically create a post about a sport they are admittedly not a fan of. Find something to be positively passionate about. Talk about that.

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. WMRRA #22 - SH

WMRRA #22 - SH WMRRA #22

They have made the cars far too big as well. There is a simple reason that motorcycles pass more than Cars, they are smaller. If you look at how big F1 cars have got in the past 30 years compared to size increase in motorcycles its pretty obvious that crazy aero packages isn't the only issue.

tl1098, Sweatypants and cha0s#242 like this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

True.

I am "positively passionate" about MotoGP. It's great to hear other motorsport stars acknowledge the greatest of motorcycle racing at the highest level, which is MotoGP.

EDIT: Also, someone from Formula One said it, so why are you getting all bent out of shape? Maybe talk to Max personally and say only say good things and talk "positively passionate" about F1

Rebel635, tl1098 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Perhaps because some people (myself included) lament the passing of something they enjoyed tremendously. I was a devout CART fan back in the day, and won't miss any opportunity to criticize the CrapWagon series when the opportunity arises :D

When MotoGP goes all electric, and it will, I plan on ratcheting things up 1000x.

R1Racer99, SpeedyE, Phl218 and 3 others like this.
  11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I'm not a lamenter, I guess. OK.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Instead of criticizing tha’ Bird, why don’t you find something to be positive about?

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Aren't you clever. I like @BigBird, quite a lot, I value his contributions a great deal, mostly about vehicles. I was wondering why he specifically created a thread about a sport that he no longer watches, comparing it to another sport that he apparently currently likes better. And using Max Verstappen, who will outdrive anyone on this venue while he is in a coma, to do it.

Positivity is sometimes calling out the negativity.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Were you able to watch F1 and CART back in the 80's-90's?

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yes, I did. It is different now. I recognize them both.

motion likes this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Guys get pretty worked up and pissed off when they take away horsepower and refueling. I guess women are different :) hahaha

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

We have to be. :p

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Most think the exact opposite. All the tests performed for the new rules showed the floor can create downforce that doesn’t make a huge wake of dirty air behind the car AND is less susceptible to dirty air. That’s y the new 2022 car is more floor and less wing. Of course the teams will mess up the ideal with their optimized designs. I’m sure we’ll know if everyone is right at the first race.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Thus my point. They are entirely too aero dependent. All of that front wing is designed to route air flow towards the floor and the rest is simply trying to get it around the tire cleanly. If they want wheel to wheel racing the aero portion needs to go away. Relying more on mechanical grip would inprove the racing. Right now it's either lead or stay far enough behind the car in front of you to keep the air doing it's job on your car. The only passing that happens that isn't a result of a driver mistake is if they happen to be close enough to push the fast and furios button on the straight away. It is utter boredom to watch...

tl1098 likes this.
  20. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Grumpy McGrumpy-Pants, don't you have a few sim cars with a bunch of aero to go drive?

Happy Thanksgiving Kenny :-D