1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Rogue4, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be expanding on some of the work I do myself and was curious about a few things.

1. Scanner. Is there a solid code/diagnostic scanner that would cover multiple makes and models that isn't $3k? Not looking to go with the cheapest option, but I'd be really interested in something like the Snap On P1000, without the Snap On price.
    2. Fork seals. I have all of the basic hand tools needed to get the forks off and apart. Are there any specialty tools that you like? Currently looking at Racetech and Motion Pro.
    3. 1/2'' battery powered impact. This is mainly for those Ducati rear wheels nuts. It's looking like Milwaukee is the way to go?
    4. Welder. Looking to spend up to $2k. Needs to be able to run off a 110 outlet. I know this is a huge limiting factor, but this would be for small jobs (broken fairing stays, etc). Bonus points if it's multi fuctional (MIG, TIG, etc).

Any other non-common type tools that you think is a must have in a small two wheel shop? Thanks in advance.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

3. Which ever manufacturer you choose I'd recommend standardizing on them. I went with Milwaukee so a couple of batteries services all the tools. Go with the up scale models with the better motors...called "fuel" in Milwaukee speak.

4. 2 grand for a 110v buzz box? Wire up for 220V and get a decent MIG machine. Practice makes perfect.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I like Ænima, but admittedly I’m a passing fan, not one of those freaks who gets Maynard’s name tattooed on my nutsack.

Don’t be afraid to check out A Perfect Circle as well, before you get your coin purse inked.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So true! Be sure that the batteries that you have can power all or most of your equipment.

5. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I have the Milwaukee Fuel 1/2 impact.
    Fantastic tool. Plus throw it in a vehicle to make changing a flat much, much easier.

Rogue4 and tdelegram like this.
  6. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

We have this. We have been happy with it. So far nothing it hasn't been able to do. Just make sure whatever you get,it is bidirectional.

Attached Files:

Rogue4 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Consider Robby Bobby or Not Bostrom...they are working hard on it right now.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

can it cycle an abs pump?

9. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Yes

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. dusty04

dusty04 Member

I use the Milwaukee fuel m12 impact for just about everything, crazy how much power the little suckers got.

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

As far as a welder, I have this one. does great on 110 and 220. I can make it portable with a decent geterator with a 220 plug ( or 110 on a short run)
    You can add a tig to it as well. It is much better then the Lincon I had in the same price range.

This package gives you a helmet and gloves for the same price as most that don't add that.

There is a $1700 package on Amazon with cart and spool gun.

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/275/MillermaticAutoSet11

Rogue4, Phl218 and auminer like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

One thing to add, it will not work for tig aluminum and also no pulse arc

but it’s fine for basic stuff

Rogue4 likes this.
  13. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Lincoln Electric LE31MP MIG Welder with Multi Processes - Transformer, MIG, Flux-Cored, Arc and TIG, 120V, 80-140 Amp Output, Model Number K3461-1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZBKZPX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_6uPPFbDSYP25S

This is the welder I have and I absolutely love it. 110v Mig/tig/stick you have to buy the tig torch and foot pedal separately but it’s kind of nice because you don’t have to spend the money on it until you need to tig something. This welder is super easy/predictable to run good beads with and has enough power to weld on vehicle and trailer frames. If you plan on repairing tractor buckets and stuff like that you’ll need a bigger welder but this one does excellent for home owner stuff. It makes easy to lay professional looking beads.

edit: you can even hook an aluminum spool gun to it and weld aluminum.

Rogue4 likes this.
  14. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with Autel and they said that product doesn’t support motorcycles?