1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you organize track spares?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Suzuka_joe, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i'm curious how many of you organize your track spares. I'm looking at purchasing a van next year to haul myself to the track however idk when i'll get to that, for now i usually take bare minimum gear with me, I've got some spare parts and i was curious how many of you take spares? figured a large plastic storage tote might be a good start to hold tools, rearsets, clipons, grips, pads.. interested in learning how you take spares even if you take spare forks, shocks, wheels, bodywork..

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I bring a few plastic totes for tools, set up stuff, etc. One of them is for spares. Currently just have a couple pegs, bars, grips, pads. I haven't bothered with more "structural" spares as I would typically just call it a weekend anyways. May change my mind in the future with longer trips to get there and the investment to do so.

3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

hard parts like rearsets, bars, grips, shift rods etc, I'll bring it in a spare tote. I haven't brought wheels and shit, that's major!

4. Suzuka_joe

lol, i have a spare set of wheels by i usually take just a spare rear with me and i can get through a race weekend with 1 front tire.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

spares tend to increase as your speed does. As soon as you dont pack something is when youll need it. Also for tools I have a small bag for items that go in my main boxes... otherwise I have a full set of inexpensive standard china stuff

6. Suzuka_joe

i've noticed that, i use to not even show up with a spare clipon bar but now i have a complete set of rearsets ready to mount up. idk if i'll go as far as spare forks but i'd hate to have something small keep me off the grid incase of a simple low side. If i manage to bust a subframe or destroy half the bike i'll just go home rather than try and rebuild.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Although I do not officially race yet, (hopefully next season will be the start of it), i do carry a lot of spares as I travel some distance depending on the track days. (I.E, Pittsburgh to Georgia). I have a few boxes that are separated with spare parts, bolts, etc. I can upload a picture tomorrow when I get home. I drive a Tahoe with the cargo area full and a utility trailer, however I currently have a new enclosed trailer being built to spec.

So just for track days, I have a spare set of wheels, tires, clip on's, rear set levers, misc bolts, spare forks, rotors, brake pads, chain, sprockets, stator, clutch, rectifier, oil and air filter, oil, Craftsman tool kit, warmers, spare suite, gloves, etc.... Although this may sound crazy and I hope I don't need them I take them as a precaution depending on where we are going. I would hate to travel 14 hours only to find out something was wrong. Earlier this year, I found I had a bent wheel when mounting my wheels with rain tires, and was lucky to be able to swap out to the spare, otherwise I would have lost the weekend. I have it pretty organized so it all fits nicely, but once my trailer is built, I will probably end up carrying even more like extra body work.

8. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I travel with an extra set of forks and subframe just in case something “simple” occurs. However, if I “snap” a subframe would I be ok enough to get back out there is my question. I’d rather be prepared than not.

9. Suzuka_joe

if a 17+ R6 subframe wasn't $400+ i'd have a spare too haha. But honestly if i crash hard enough to break the subframe idk that i'll be ok to go back out so i'm fine with packing up and going home to assess. My big fear is a broken clipon keeping me off track or a shift rod.

10. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

If you need to replace forks the triple is probably 'tweaked' too.

Rising Sun likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

5 gallon buckets...

:D

TLR67 likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have some harbor freight and autozone duralast tools for traveling. Good enough for the job, wont cry if I lose something.

For spares I have a black duffel bag with the contents stored in ziplock bags. Rear sets, brake system, spark plugs, clip ons, fuel pump assembly, levers, camera mounts, etc. Makes looking for parts easy when sifting through ziploc bags as opposed to a pile of parts. I also have a bin full of random bits/bolts that had come in handy.

13. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

All the totes.

14. 392

392 Well-Known Member

I bring several totes with me everywhere I go. I’ve had slow crashes and destroy a motorcycle and high speed crashes where there is just a broken rearset or clip on. Hard to gauge what damage will be done, just better to be prepared.

As for spares, you just start to accumulate more and more as time goes on. I bet I could build a complete r6 at the track.

noles19 and Suzuka_joe like this.
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

walmart sells a nice black and red tote on wheels that works great along as you don't tie the canopy to it:oops:

16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

One thing that I find is extremely handy is the collection of spare metric fasteners that I've accumulated from decades of prepping streetbikes for the track. I have two industrial type storage cases with the hardware sorted into the bins. The rest of my stuff is in totes. I mostly endurance race so I tend to bring the regular spares, things like hose clamps, plus a small assortment of aluminum and steel stock (sheet, bar, rod) along with metric taps in order to make repairs. During one race we bent a shift rod and I was able to straighten it and send our rider back out. Then he was able to keep going till I prepared a "splint" for the rod that we attached with hose clamps during the next pit stop. I just don't like the thought of something simple ending the weekend. It can be a pain loading all the stuff so I tend to take a lot less with me if it's just a track day. I don't tend to bring big components because it takes so much time to install. If I was really concerned about that level of replacement I would simply take a spare "B" bike with me as it's a rolling parts storage that I can decide whether to take parts of it or fire it up and go race it. One thing I don't tend to bring with me is the clipon clamps. I figure if the bike crashes hard enough to damage one of those, then I probably have a smoking pile of scrap metal and my weekend is done anyway.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Another thing I find that really helps me is that I've developed a race weekend checklist. It has two main categories: Bike work that needs to be done (oil change, tire swap, minor repairs, etc.) and a loading checklist (specific tools, riding gear, spares, food, drinks, paper towels...... errythang.) Tasks are broken down into A,B, and C priorities. A priorities must get done, B priorities are important but not completely essential, and the C's are the nice to haves. This way I focus on the important stuff if I start getting in a time crunch.
    NOTHING gets checked off the list until I completely finish the task or physically put the item in my truck or trailer. Makes for a much more relaxed weekend when I do this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Thistle and mpusch like this.
  18. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Great point on the checklist. Before we leave my wife reads it off and we go through everything. Probably prevents me from leaving something almost every trip.

19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Me too. No more double and triple checking, feeling like I'm forgetting something. I have a perfectly itemized list, down to snacks and drinks. I check off items as I load them. DONE!

The.Johnner likes this.