1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is the 1990's NSR250 Beeb expert

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by SpeedyE, Oct 27, 2020.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

?????

2. SpeedyE

How many street-miles between top-end rebuilds? Rings? or Pistons and rings?
    Bottom-end rebuilds? Split bearings, or full crank and roller bearings?
    Are parts available? Are they cheap or SUPER expensive?
    Are they easy bikes to maintain, Reliable and to keep running correctly? Are the motors easy to rebuild, work on?

Are the OEM bikes worth upgrading into TD bikes (shock/forks/yokes/wheels/swingarms/HP-parts/etc)? or is it just throwing money away?

currently Fighting ilness, if I win the fight, I am thinking this might be a good TD bike for me, for a present to myself. (Light weight, slow speed, etc) instead of my 05/1K which is faster than my brain/body.
    Thank you

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a '92 Kocinski SP, but I'm no expert on these. I do know that its basically the RS250R GP bike with a few street goodies and a tamer motors. They are tiny!

If you're looking for a two stroke trackday bike, I would recommend finding a non-abused Aprilia RS250. Parts are plentiful and they are an excellent and reliable platform. I went 2500 miles on the top-end on the one I bought new in 2002. Those were 2,500 miles at Willow Springs WFO 90% of the time.

Just my 0.02. Hope you are feeling better!

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. SpeedyE

Thank you :)

5. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

You should try nsr250man (Tim) but he's biased and will tell you that you should get one. Parts are still pretty much available but Tim knows way more.

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

I've gone 2 full seasons on a top end no worries, just pull the pipes and have a look if your curious.
    Piston and rings.
    Cranks are bullets, 3-5 seasons. easy and cheap to rebuild with ching chow bearings/seals and the likes of Ed Toomey.
    Parts are avail. Tyga Performance has great stock and 3-5 day delivery.
    Kinda pricey.
    Yes, very simple and mechanic friendly.
    Good honest street examples are appreciating rapidly, @10K min.
    We have K-Tech and Ohlins shocks, forks are decent stock, I always kept mine SS legal and they are great machines, here's some reading.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/racing-bad-racing-good-part-2/
    https://www.cycleworld.com/thats-ra...x4eAg0ynYi4gyVJ3blKbNBBQw9jZh-j-HeyN_Rn5te4R8

AVWWHK7HEWMITBMJVWSC3H5VOU.jpg

"An ironic twist: The two-stroke Speedwerks NSR needed almost no attention all weekend, while the four-stroke caused all the trouble! What’s the lesson? Could be that the four-stroke engine design is just an inefficient fad, doomed to failure in the face of light, powerful, efficient, fuel-injected two-stroke engines?
    No gearing or jetting changes needed on the NSR; Long had it right from the first bump-off. The Speedwerks owner couldn’t make the trip to Barber due to a “minor issue” (his house burned down and only heroic acts got this NSR and a few other amazing bikes pushed out of harm’s way in the nick of time). Long trusted me and Brian with his NSR, complete with tire warmers, tools, sprockets, premix oil, and a fuel-oil mixing bottle. Our constant attention on the GPz made me doubly grateful for Long’s race-weekend expertise."

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Tim Morrica hands down. NSR250man on here

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. nsr250man

nsr250man Well-Known Member

I appreciate the kind words from the members and would like to assist. Number 1, we all hope your health improves, that is first and foremost! Now as much as I love 2 strokes, I have owned almost every type of 250 and by far the best fun cheap track bike is the NSR. I am biased towards the MC28 single-sided swingarm versions though, and actually have one available if and when you are interested (has all of the HRC/Tyga/Kit parts that make it more track reliable and fun to ride - a stock bike sucks on the track!!!).

Just so you know I am a Tyga sponsored rider, and I can pass a portion of my discount onto my customers. Tyga dealers cannot do that, only me, so when possible I can help offset your costs with some savings. Also, I always help with tuning and advice over the phone. Ed Toomey lives close to me and we team up on rebuilds and such. I also have tons of parts accumulated to take care of these bikes for a long time, so I hope to be one of your stops for NSR support. Speedwerks knows their stuff as well, so we are all here to assist in some way or another.

Regarding the bike maintenance, for instance, I TD at Roebling and AMP, and I rebuilt my bottom end in 2011, put on a Tyga 300 kit, ran some races in 2012, and averaged 4 - 5 track days a year since then, and I have only changed rings once, and it was to be safe, not because I really needed to. The best part is that if set up properly these bikes do not chew tires badly. Therefore, overall you purchase gas, 2 stroke oil, make sure it is tuned before arrival (not that hard to do), and ride (if it's cold skip the first session). Just like my Ducati, gas and go, and relax after putting the warmers back on!

Feel free to message me here, and we can trade emails and phone numbers.
    Appreciate the consideration.
    Kind Regards,
    nsr250man
    Tim Moricca
    Special T Vehicles
    Simpsonville, SC
    NSR_Race.PNG

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

PM sent

11. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

You make me want to sell all of my bikes and just get a NSR! hahaha I wish my RZ would do that!

nsr250man likes this.
  12. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I have a 96 RGV250 you can buy.....

Phl218 likes this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

BTW, the Rothmans NSR250s are getting $20K-$25K these days for nice examples. Prices have really shot up. I'll be getting with Tim this spring to start ordering parts :)

14. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Tim is the bike in the pic the one you have available?

15. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I d swap all my bikes for one too....lol
    That's exactly my dream bike.
    My RZ has been with me 30+ years.
    Front end swap/FZRrr swingarm,TZ tank MAGTEK wheel swap.... Try as I have she still ain't NSR cool...
    Unfortunately there just too much $$ for me now
    That's just beautiful