1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Oct 12, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I suspect, they’ll offer a “Trofeo” clip-on kit, with top clamp.

2. svlowkey

svlowkey Member

Hard to find a good picture but it looks like there's some kind of OD change for the fork tube below the top triple. Hard to tell if there's enough there for clipons.

[​IMG]

3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Good catch. A new top triple won't be the biggest deal in a race bike conversion. Guarantee you can buy one from @SPATT about 1 week after bikes are being delivered. Maybe 2 weeks if you want it annodized black.

svlowkey likes this.
  4. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

We talked about this back on page 6.

notbostrom and svlowkey like this.
  5. Monsterdood

I thought we were just talking about the triple with integrated bars, not the fact the fork tube diameter changes some distance below it. But yeah, same basic thing as I doubt you would want to put a clip on under the stock triple anyways.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

It’ll take about 20 minutes on a mill to get rid of the bar lugs.
    Or if you’re like most Wera Lightweight racers, about 5 minutes with a hacksaw and a file.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

3 minutes wif your remaining teef.

MachineR1 likes this.
  8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Ouch.. that cut deep lol

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ain't nobody got time fo that! Sawzall and/or angle grinder!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

11. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I am contemplating pulling the trigger on this. I have not had a modern bike and after reading the reviews, this might be the one. I do want something I actually want to ride on the road and I am interested in a modern bike as the most modern bike I have in my garage is an 06 SV. I could see eventually putting it on the track , but that would not be my primary motivation as I have other options for that. I talked to my local dealer and found out a few things:
    • There are currently no dealer tuning options other than the Aprapovik exhaust upgrade which comes with an ECU mapping. I am curious what aftermarket options will be available.
    • GP shift is a $120 software update
    • The financing Aprilia is offering is a pretty sweet deal. If you do the 3.9% @48 months you also get $1000 cash back.
    • They don't have a firm arrival date for preorders but they are telling their customers 10 weeks (from now)
    • He didn't give an exact number but they have taken at least of handful of preorders so far
    Questions:
    • Will the ergonomics be comfortable enough for me to want to ride this on the road?
    • Is the $1100 Ohlins shock upgrade worth it or should I wait for the aftermarket? I haven't been able to find much info on the actual specs for the Ohlins upgrade.

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Knowing the Ohlins model number would be crucial for my purchase decision. Maybe, Robby-Bobby can derive something from dealer materials?

13. Monsterdood

I thought the preorder page indicated the GP shift software is included with the exhaust ECU update. Or you can buy the GP shift SW separately. And I am guessing the Ohlins will be well tuned for the bike from the start other than perhaps a custom spring rate for your weight. However, I will add that a 3-way shock was very important for the no-link Kawi 650, so I would assume they will be helpful on the RS660 too. I believe the Ohlins is a 2-way shock.

jksoft and ducnut like this.
  14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

That may be the case. The dealer didn't mention it and I hadn't seen it mentioned but it makes sense. EDIT: After more searching I did find several references to GP shift being included with the exhaust update.
    Great info. I'd do the exhaust option for sure. May hold off on the shock until further details.

15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Beeler is about your size and he was comfortable enough on it.

That built in luggage rack under the passenger seat is really slick. It won't carry the same as my VFR can, but for simple trips to the shop or work, a nice addition.

I think someone will figure out a quick work around for the GP shift BS. Charging for that is pretty scummy when it's just inverting the sensor output. Are you going to get an ECU flash whenever you want to switch it around? Or maybe the connection point is flipped on the shifter instead of the transmission so the push-pull is the same.

ducnut likes this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Man, for a 95% street machine I’d have a hard time not just buying a 765RS or 890R.

stk0308 likes this.
  17. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

From one review:
    "You can also change it to reverse shift (first gear is up, the rest down) by simply flipping the shift linkage and changing the quickshifter software. No extra hardware needed."
    And from the dealer:
    Once the GP shift software update is added, you can switch back and forth whenever you want (I assume via the dash since he said everything else was through the dash).
    So it sounds like part of the change is also to support the QS.

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Blame KTM, they started all that software unlock horseshit.

turbulence, stk0308 and ducnut like this.
  19. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

You’re giving them an awful lot of credit assuming they’d use a file after the hacksaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phl218 likes this.
  20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I think he meant finish with a file after breaking the hacksaw

Phl218 likes this.