1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is/was MM93 bad for the sport?

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Oct 26, 2020.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I mean who knew how exciting and dramatic the season could actually be when one phenom doesn't take off and blow everyone else's doors off every race.

Suzuki....leading the championship?! That hasn't happened in 20 years.

TurboBlew and rk97 like this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You mean like Rossi did a few years back?

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

I love to see the best in the world perform at their peak, no matter the excitement of the match/race without them.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Too bad the best rider in the world has to be down for folks to draw excitement from MotoGP.

5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Most top level motorsports can be summed up in the same way though.

Formula 1 has had 2 champions (from 1 team nonetheless) in like 7 seasons. Hamilton since 2014 with the exception of 1 year
    MotoGP has had what...5 title holders in almost 20 years? - Since 2002 Rossi, Hayden, Stoner, Lorenzo, Marquez
    Superbike obviously dominated by Rea for 6 seasons straight now
    MotoA has been the Baubier show with the exception of 2017 for 5 or 6 years running now.

Take any one of these champs out of the season and everything gets WAY more interesting from a fan's perspective.

Quicktoy, DrA5, Razr and 2 others like this.
  6. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Yep I agree on all plus to add to this there is no next level for mm93

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

/shakes head

BigBird likes this.
  8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No. Watch 2019 Malaysia for why.

GixxerJohn011 and BigBird like this.
  9. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

no, but i think after a while they should just make him start at the back every race.

that’ll add to the excitement.

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Shit no.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

didn't wsbk try something like that, and Rea still won

Quicktoy likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Buncha damn participation trophy ninnies here. MotoGP is supposed to be the best of the best each season, each race. When MM is on, he is, right now one of, if not the best. Penalties simply emphasize his superiority.

Quicktoy, cav115, SGVRider and 2 others like this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

No, he’s not been as boring to watch as someone like Hamilton in F1. Watching Marquez is one of the highlights of any GP weekend. No one saves the bike or manhandles it like he does.

His ride at the beginning of the year after he saved it in the gravel is still the most incredible racing display I’ve seen.

beechkingd, Quicktoy, MVA25 and 5 others like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

MM93 Moto2 march from the back of the grid to winner, given that his bike had to be repaired even to get back on grid, was also an extraordinary display of talent

Quicktoy, wac, turbulence and 2 others like this.
  15. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

right, but at least it was a challenge.

remember when marc came from last in a moto2 race to win? one of the best races ever

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sorry he's so much better than everyone else around him. Ride harder everyone else or he'll keep beating the shorts off you. There is no bell curve in racing. Go faster or lose. Your choice everyone else.

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

And his ability to pull sketchy shit and get away with it in Moto2 was pretty impressive too...

stk0308 likes this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Anybody remember the Doohan years of 500GP? One of the big contributors to WSB becoming so big in that era. There was actual racing at the front in WSB.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He was bad for Honder and HRC. He was so good that they kept building a "bad" bike and he kept winning on it so they never tried making it better so others could win on it (or in some cases, even ride it).

Now that he's sitting on the sideline they are forced to "fix" the bike.

I expect him to come back and when he does, he'll absolutely destroy the rest of the field.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I would agree with that.

R Acree likes this.