1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | Round 9 | Geico Superbike Speedfest at Monterey | 23-25 Oct

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Oct 21, 2020.

1. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

And you get a 50% discount on tickets for certain races too

2. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

It really is a no brainer. Who watches cable anyway anymore?

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Me.

4. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

Luddite. Lol

5. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

not gonna lie, the heritage cup race was pretty rad too

jd41 likes this.
  6. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

What a pleasure to see cam go 3/3 at his home track and last race in the us at that! I first watched cam race on a RM85 at Stockton motorplex & from that day I knew he was going to do great things in the sport. I can’t wait to see him go heads up with the best of the best next year. I think he’s gonna surprise a lot of people over there.

I hope HSBK can field two ducati SBK’s next year. One being Toni and the other PJ. I think a lot of people forget just how good PJ is...

7. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

$55 if you get it earlier. It's SOOOO worth it! MA has 8-10 races per weekend, and I watch all of them. Even if I skip the Q and FP sessions, that's 72-90 races for the season. So I'm paying a whopping 60-75 cents per race! lol

jd41, Gino230 and turbulence like this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I do. I find the near 100% dependability/reliability provided by hardwired services preferable to the dropped/frozen source signals from devices that need seeming endlessly constant updates of hardware/software.

Luddite? Yeah, I have to wind my watch...but it does everything I need a watch to do.

KneeDragger_c69, JBall and Ducman851 like this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It seems like Richie’s corner entry is way more rear-biased, with how much he backs the bike in. It seems like that’s how he avoids some of the Kawi’s chatter issues - less focus on the front end. Paasch coming off the R6 is definitely going to need some time to adapt to that style if that’s the case.

jd41 and henry_carlson like this.
  10. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Fucking auto play on the app and website is making me want to slit my wrists is there a setting to disable that noisy bullshit!?

11. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I agree that the quality is better but it’s getting to be that everything sports that isn’t football is behind a paywall. Let’s just take motorcycles. if I want to watch gp and wsbk it’s cheaper for me to ditch cable and pay individually otherwise I just get whatever race they show 5 days later on at 3am.

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

and he has without a doubt the fastest bike on the twins grid..

13. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

You weren't around for Dave Evans back in the 90's.
    "...those twin cylinder pushrod Ducatis..."
    "...those overhead cam motors can rev up to 16,000 RPMs..." (During a 250 GP race.)
    "...when it's raining, it's hard to look back with those tiny rear view mirrors..."

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I don't know how much of a "test" it was. They held a Ducati REVS customer track day on Monday.

Senna likes this.
  15. Ducman851

Hell, I’d have hung out for this. Kaming Ko had his Rossi there

16. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Any info from that? What did Toni ride?

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I don't know what was happening from a technical standpoint, but you could hear Jake's bike's electronics kicking in a lot more than Cam's. For the first 3-5 laps, you won't hear Cam's bike pop once from the exit of 11 all the way over the hill in T1. After a few laps, you can hear it pop a few times going over T1, but that's it.

Gagne's bike is popping like crazy from the exit of 11 all the way over the T1 hill. I don't know if he uses more wheelie / traction control or what, but you could clearly hear the difference.
    I have a couple of buddies on the Westby team, they did say they were getting some good feedback from Canepa. FWIW.

18. Gino230

Thanks Pal, I worked hard for it.

Swapped in a new linkage and went back to my old spring rates from last year. After that, I didn't touch the bike until Sunday Warm up. First (and only) practice session, I was able to beat my PB lap from last year by .5 second....thanks to Iracing and lots of notes and study, so that gave me a big confidence boost right away, although I was still out of the 110% for that session by about .2 sec, as the boys were already under last year's pole.

After that I just tried to stay calm and work my process, corner by corner. Q1 I dropped almost 2 seconds, but still out by .7 sec. The exhaust blew apart and that blew apart my concentration, fortunately it was with maybe 2 min left in the session.

I have a friend who works for a Ferrari team, her Boyfriend was actually racing twins and she came over and helped me look at my AIM data in a way I've never done before. She also was able to show me some things I was doing wrong that should be obvious, some I was blowing off because I thought it was small potatoes, but that was foolish in retrospect. I got some help from M4 with the exhaust situation (thanks also @lonewrench for trying to help me out.) I had to steal some empty beer cans from the Robem pits to make some shims, but my theory on this is- is it really a Lightweight bike if there's no parts on it from a garbage can?

Anyway, I worked hard in Q2 and dropped another second and a half for my fastest lap of the weekend 1:40.3. With Cooper doing a 1:31.4 this put me on the grid by .1 sec. It was way more work than it should have been, but damn it felt good to make the show.

Sunday warm up was crap with the coldest temps of the weekend, fog began misting down and impersonating rain. That continued to get heavier until it peaked right before the Superbike race, then it began to clear up and by the end the SB guys were at full speed.

The race started out good for me, I was dead last into turn 1, but the bottom 5 guys were all together and I felt I had a shot at going with them, the leader of that group was in 13th. All of those guys qualified faster than me, but if you look at the lap time charts from Q2, they were doing alot of slower times closer to my pace, then one flyer that's like 2 seconds faster that they didn't repeat. Whereas I was able to do my pace alone for multiple laps as I almost never try to go with someone faster in practice or qualifying. Also I knew there was plenty of places I could go faster, and my bike is very strong.

I made a pass going into T2 but wound up on the outside, and Cliff missed a gear and took us both way wide, so I lost the group battling for 13th. I started to put the hammer down but then the leaders came by with about 3 to go and my focus was a little shot- the last thing I want to do is interfere with the outcome of the race when the closest other rider to me is 4 seconds away. Finished 16th (but NOT last!)

I was a little disappointed as I felt 1:38's were easily within my reach, but I just didn't put it together this weekend. Still it was a fun way to end the season. Looking forward to doing some more work on the off season and coming back stronger for next year.

2blueYam, motion, cBJr and 14 others like this.
  19. Gino230

Cooper has been steadily improving all season. He also was running very close to the front last year in Laguna, but he had an issue with the rear tire, they had a messed up tire gauge and he had like 40 psi in the rear.....so he has a history of running fast at Laguna.

Rocco was struggling a bit, he didn't get into the 32's until Doyle came by in Q2 and gave him a tow with 3 min to go in the session. He tried to get a tow off Cooper in Q2, and Cooper just cruised. Rocco wasted 3-4 laps doing that. Watch the Q2 video, it's pretty clear what was going on. Normally Rocco is in our pits alot over the weekend, bouncing around like kids do, talking to Kaleb, etc....he did lots of fly-bys on his scooter, but he never stopped by once this weekend, so something was different over there.

I know he did get a new engine for Sunday's race, and despite crashing in the Jr. Cup session in the morning, he overcame his poor start and won the race, so hats off to him.

20. Ducman851

I dont know who’s but he was on a Ducati