1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Khabib vs. gaethje

Discussion in 'General' started by Admotowork, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Admotowork

Admotowork Well-Known Member

So the biggest fight of the year is going down tomorrow.
    Predictions? Thoughts?
    Do we get to see a 28 and 1 record for khabib or will he continue to smesh everyone?

henry_carlson likes this.
  2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Funny hat man will win. You heard it here first.

3. JG is one of my favs of all time. Dude is a beast and he can take punches like few others. He is willing to take your shots, because he thinks you can’t take his. Absolutely love watching him fight. There is a reason why his UFC debut was a Main Event.

BUT, I believe Khabib will win the fight, unfortunately.

Even though JG was an All-American wrestler, his MMA style doesn’t include much of it. He needs to keep things upright.

IF JG can avoid the ground-and-pound of Khabib, he has a shot. But nobody else has been able to avoid the grappling and pounding of Khabib, and JG reckless style will likely get him in trouble also.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Bloodhound and henry_carlson like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

28-1 by Saturday night.

People forget that Gaethje was a D1 All American wrestler. He's not on Khabib's level, but he's definitely the best wrestler he's ever faced. When guys take him down, he pops back up like a cat thrown in a bathtub. Nobody has ever kept him on the ground.

Now obviously Khabib is PFP the best wrestler in the history of the UFC, so maybe he'll keep Justin on the mat for a round or two, but he barely finishes anyone, and his cardio isn't great. Remember what happened in the third round against Conor? How about Iaquinta? I don't think anyone can wrestle like that for five rounds, and when he starts to wither, Justin will make him pay.

Trevor Wittman has transformed Gaethje into a patient killer. He doesn't get emotional anymore and he has too many weapons. Khabib will win the first two, but if he doesn't submit Justin early, he'll gas and get finished in the fourth.

Now, 50% of the reason that I make MMA predictions in writing is so that you guys can laugh at me after the fight, because I'm wrong like 60% of the time... :D

5. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I'm hoping for Gaethje but think Khabib will win

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Bold move picking a -330 favorite. :D

bleacht and Gorilla George like this.
  7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Rude

JBraun likes this.
  8. Admotowork

Barely finishes anyone?
    28-0 with 8 knockouts and 10 submissions would say otherwise. As with anyone fighting the eagle, unless the K. O comes in the first two rounds its going to be a long and uncomfortable night for Justin. But, as you said before this game is a wild one and anything can happen.
    Khabib wins by submission in the fourth and then bring on GSP.
    There, I said it!!

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Just having a little fun with hyperbole, but really Khabib's finishes are all attrition. He makes people quit, which is savage and awesome, but he's not dynamic in the way Gaethje is.

10. Admotowork

Absolutely agree. This fight is going to make me miss the blue basement at Renzo's even more. Not that I miss getting smashed by the savages there.
    On the upside though, my knees and ankles feel a lot better lately :beer:

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

G man in one.

12. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Has the eagle ever been punched really hard?
    Just asking, haven't seen all that many of his fights.

If gaethje can land, maybe it can take Khabib off his game a little.

It will be super interesting to see if a D1 wrestler can look better than almost everyone else on the ground with Khabib. I mean the way he maintains control is frightening. It's like an adult wrestling with kids.

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I've never been to Renzos but have trained with a couple of his pupils. Had a chance to roll with Brian Glick a while back and just walked away confused. I have at least 40 lbs on him and I was so out of my league that I don't even know what was happening. It's like everything is going fine, then he just vanishes, and when he reappears I'm getting strangled. I felt completely helpless.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Conor caught him once although not very clean. I think the worst he's been hurt was by Michael Johnson. He buckled Khabib's knees a bit but he recovered quickly.

15. Admotowork

Professor Glick was my first teacher. Not only being a fucking awesome human being, his jiu jitsu is insane. Last time I rolled with him he kept on putting me in a crucifix over and over again and there was nothing I could do. Woke up the next day with a swollen tongue from being choked so much.
    I definitely have been fortunate to roll and learn with some amazing guys and gals. Got to roll with Cyborg once and couldn't get over how one of his titties was wider than my entire chest. Never I have I seen someone that big move that quickly, I could only imagine what it would be like to go up against someone like Buchecha or Rodolfo Vieira.

JBraun likes this.
  16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Listening to Rogan talk about rolling with Jocko is hilarious.

17. Not many times, as in there have probably been less than 10 times when he has been hit hard enough to make you think “damn he got nailed...”.

And that says a shitload, considering the caliber of people he has fought.

Dustin Poirier and Connor McGregor are both great strikers, neither could hurt Khabib.

Khabib’s just wears you down. He grapples and hangs all over you and makes you support your bodyweight and his. Then once he gets someone against the cage, he will straighten out their legs, cross them, and then wrap his legs around them. At that point, they can do fuckall, and he just starts beating their face in.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Two guys have made Khabib look human for a little while. Michael Johnson pressured him really well early with a high volume of strikes, but gassed out and got submitted.

Then there's Gleison Tibau, who stuffed every single one of his takedowns. Khabib never even came close to getting him on the ground. Gleison, on the other hand, took Khabib down twice and outstruck him by the numbers. Khabib got the decision 30-27, because MMA judges are awful and don't understand the damage Gleison was doing to the body. I think even Khabib knew he lost that fight.

What makes Saturday interesting is that Gaethje's takedown defense is better than Tibau's, and his striking is better than Johnson's. That's why I'm putting some hard earned cash money on the highlight for the win. MMA math baby! 20% of the time it works every time. :D

bleacht likes this.
  19. If JG wins, what are the odds of him sticking the landing on his backflip? :D

20. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Michael Johnson's fight was the one that stood out to me where Khabib just humiliated his opponent on the ground.

Just imagine a more patient, more powerful striker. And someone that could stuff some takedown and maybe prevent getting flattened out on the ground....

But Khabib's stand up has improved since Johnson fight. He looked like he almost stood toe to toe with Connor.