1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top fuel dragster hp at idle?

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Oct 14, 2020.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I see online the engines idle at 2400-2500 rpm
    Anyone know how much horsepower they put out at idle?

2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Our at the time NHRA legal Pro Modified (mechanical injected blown 526ci hemi) would idle at about 300hp

It's a similar setup to topfuel/funny car. They run nitro ofcourse, more blower, and 2 mags.

3. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Our pro mod FB_IMG_1602722165699.jpg

Our outlaw 10.5 car FB_IMG_1602722171709.jpg

VFR#52, Shenanigans, JJJerry and 2 others like this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Tj Hunter, Knotcher and 418 like this.
  5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

The first one yes. 2008 lol

6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Doesn't it take a shit ton of power just to run the blower?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Yes. 14-71 blowers require an ass load to turn

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

500+ horsepower if I remember correctly.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  9. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

I always thought it interesting how few actual revolutions a top fuel engine turns during a pass - a little over 700 according to these guys...

https://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_..._turn_at_9500_rpm_and_4.5_second_quarter_mile

One of the coolest things I've experienced was watching the fuel cars cross the line at the top end, back in the day. Whenever we, or our friends do a "top speed flyby" on our bikes at a "secret test track", it never fails to elicit a somewhat evil chuckle and delight. There's just something way cool about a vehicle passing by you at tremendous speed. That same emotion is multiplied significantly watching a fuel car accelerate past you at close to 300 mph from about 100 feet away. I certainly understand why they don't allow that anymore, but man, what a rush!

10. Screw blown pro mod / rvw car is give or take 410 at idle, at least that was what I was reading on the dyno.

11. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

How about the amount of revolutions the crank spins during a pass. I remember an engine builder talking about this one day.

"A Top Fuel dragster reaches more than 300 mph before you have completed reading this sentence. With a redline that can be as high as 9500 rpm, Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light. Including the burnout, the engine needs to survive only 900 revolutions under load"

12. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

And how many parts are toast after that pass.

13. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Don't they automatically spray the cylinders with oil at the end of the pass to save them a bit.
    I thought I remember reading that the motors are self igniting at the end of the run and the only way to shut them down is by killing the fuel supply.

14. All of it.

ChemGuy likes this.
  15. That’s one way to go. But money also does the trick.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Also if you guys havent see the videos of the fuel flow at full throttle (from a display) do yourself a favor and go see it. Its like a fire hose spraying into the cylinder. One of the reasons why dropping a cylinder is so bad on these...it can hydrolock and blow the motor.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Something like 75+ gallons per minute fuel pump through a 2.5 inch line. Gotta love it :D

18. ChemGuy

Id post the video but I dont want to get banned....again.

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Put it in the Utube thread.

20. ChemGuy

added it to youtube thread...