1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F3 rear fairings - looking for repair ideas

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by chobes, Sep 26, 2020.

1. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I have a '98 F3, and the previous owner drilled/zip-tied the rear fairings as a quick fix. Apparently the tabs on the F3 tail fairings are a problem area, looking for ideas/suggestions so I can eliminate the zip-ties.

IMG_8232.JPG

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Those fairings clip together to the center section. The taps are probably broken. If they are not I would plug the holes with epoxy sand smooth and touch up. Won't be perfect but it's 22 years old.

chobes likes this.
  3. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Not a whole lot to do because of access but if had access to plastic welder you could make some new tabs.

The.Johnner likes this.
  4. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. The tabs are definitely broken off, just looking to see if anyone has some creative ideas. A plastic welder isn't that expensive, will look into going that route, thanks for the suggestion.

5. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Not knowing the insides...can you bend a strip of metal like a front master cylinder bracket( ladybird style) and then rivets or a pretty dome head on the outside and a nut or barrel inside. Again I don't know what the inside looks like..

chobes likes this.
  6. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I think there's room to fab a bracket and attach it to rear subframe. Was thinking of some small flush-mount hood looks on the side fairings, or perhaps a rear-grab bar from a bigger bike that is wide enough...

7. The.Johnner

The.Johnner Active Member

I have used my brother's old solder iron (the kind that plugs into the wall, no on/off switch) to make repairs on ABS with success. There are several good YouTube tutorials, and you can get ABS rods fairly cheap. Several of my repairs have involved rebuilding tabs or sections that had completely broken off.

Just make sure you're using same kind of plastic as the fairing if you do go that route. (I tried to fix a broken cooler handle with no success... different plastic)

chobes likes this.
  8. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

After looking at the options, I'm going to try plastic welding some tabs onto the fairings. This may be a long shot, but does anyone have some broken fairings laying around that they're willing to part with? I'd prefer to get some practice prior to working on the existing fairings. Thanks in advance.

9. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Keep it. Every F2/F3 should have at least a few zip ties holding the fairings on!!!! It's a tradition.

DonDDR and chobes like this.
  10. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Zip ties might add the downforce that's been missing? Dunno, but if anyone has a rear fairing center section for '97 or '98 F3, please let me know.

11. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

I think they are part of Honda's original design. Since the tabs are good for about 4 installation cycles.