1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to track. LOTS of street exp. Which bike?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Jordano, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

No they went fuel injected in 2001

2. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Wait till you get on a track with your 600/750, giving it your all, and you get your helmet handed to you by a 12 year old on a 250 or 125 as they disapear in short order over the horizon.

I had an 03 750 ( see my profile picture) great bike newer 600s have more/same HP I am a larger person which is why I went 750 (fat ass to Hp ratio) if you fall on the normal side of the size curve. a 600 would open more classes up to you than a 750 for racing if that is an end goal at some point ( which you said was unlikely)

The 08 600 above sounds like a good posibility

DmanSlam and Jordano like this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

A lot depends on the size of the kart track. When they're broken into two, NJMP's tracks are probably too small for a 300 (but I'm planning on taking mine there in the next week or two for its maiden voyage) but the full size track (both of them combined) would be plenty big enough for a 300.

4. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

For track days, a 600 is a good choice for all the reasons already given. If you’re going to be thinking about racing, I would not recommend the 600. They call 600 Novice the “meat grinder” class for a reason...

5. Jordano

Jordano Active Member

I was thinking about it for Adams in Riverside, or for Apex, which I know nothing about other than that it's close.

6. Jordano

Jordano Active Member

Why? Lots of accidents? Racing actually may be a possibility.

7. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I guess so. This past weekend (on Liberator) was my first time ever at the NJMP kart track. Some turns (like "Boston Massacre" and the chicane before the start/finish line) would seem pretty tight. Still, having a 300/400 to run on kart and big tracks seems like a very cost-effective solution.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I perhaps should've clarified that my 300 is in a Grom chassis :p

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I really doubt it's that much different than any other class. 600 provides plenty of classes for racing.

10. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

This 750 isn't a 2004, wrong forks.. or they were swapped but 2004+should have inverted forks not conventional

My suggestion on a bike would be to find a 06+ 600cc bike, they all have a slipper clutch (except honda..) and that will help alot on corner entry to keep the bike feeling planted.

11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

:stupid: He's right. Everything else looks right, but because the forks are wrong, the brakes are wrong (should be radial-mount calipers), the triples are wrong to mount the wrong forks, and the front wheel may be wrong, though it may still be compatible (I can't remember for sure off the room of my head).

That front end may perform perfectly fine, but I am generally suspicious of a change that big.

Jordano likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If you're still looking dont write off salvage bikes. You can find a wrecked bike that was written off due to fairing damage.

I found a 06 or 07 GSXR 600 (cant remember the year) that needed a new subframe. I also did tires and basic maintenance and was all in for $1800 ish. It was an outstanding track bike until I mangled it. "Oh well", buy another and do it again.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Gona say an R3, ZX250, 300 or 400... if you want to live dangerously the 390. The first 3 are appliance like and will anvil reliable. The KTM may require intensive service.
    Unless you ride tracks with over a 100mph avg corner speed... then maybe a 600 I4 type.
    Saw a gal this weekend with her ninja 400 with the fork legs 4" above the top triple... and complimenting turnbuckle lowering links. She said she wasnt comfortable not being able to touch her feet to the ground... but then in the next sentence complained how difficult the bike was to turn...lol.

14. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

unless there is a big showing of 300/400's you will likely get bored with it in a couple years. they have great corner speed and is a awesome learning tools

I would look 600,636,675 group not horrible on tires buy lots dot's when they have the rebates in spring. next season get slicks and warmers.

1k would not be my choice even though it is what i did i rode my street taped zx10r from novice to A the matter of a few years. now i giggle like a school girl when i pass Liter bikes on my 636. But not as hard as when a passed a ducati superleggera on the outside of the bowl at grattan on my 3 a couple laps in the row, (guy would wheelie by me on the front straight) it takes a lot of throttle control and self control not to over cook on a liter bike crash get hurt and leave ridding track seen it many times.

15. Jordano

Jordano Active Member

Revisiting this. I'll keep it street legal, at least at first. Maybe get a track-prepped later.

Looking at a 2004 CBR600RR, power commander, exhaust. A worthy track tool for improving skills and having fun?

I ran mid B group on my 2017 Tuono Factory. I'm guessing the older CBR will require more effort and be less forgiving due to lack of rider aids.

Also, the deal will include a 2008 CBR1000RR in stock form.

Thoughts?

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You've already been given the right answer on page one.

Find a prepped SV650, open your mind, and LEARN.

For kart track time, a TTR or CRF125 with street tires on it, unless you can afford an Ohvale....in that case, the 160.

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

what rider aides? Does the throttle work? Do the brakes work? Is the supension serviceable? Tires in good condition? Thats all you need to work on ride skill... no aide is going to make up for lack of skill.
    Work on being A group capable in both skill and fitness. B group tends to be dodgy as you have folks that cant truely assess their skill level. The street legal thing is a hinderance.

DmanSlam likes this.
  18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Agreed....you already have street legal bikes...what's the point of this track tool being street legal?

You have a lot of miles....great. You have very little track experience. The two are vastly different.
    I can play catch with my son in the back yard all day. Doesn't make me an NFL Quarterback.

If I play H-O-R-S-E in my driveway, I'm not ready for one on one with LeBron James.

This is a purpose focused machine....do you wear football cleats to work?

If you go to the kart track, be prepared to be humbled by a 10 year old on an Ohvale 110 or a KLX-140 who has been racing since he or she was 6.

19. TurboBlew

I get jealous...lol.
    I may have started at 8 but never had any focused structure. As for the street... scooter errands is all I ride.

20. Jordano

Jordano Active Member

Alright. I'm starting to get it; technique is where it's at. Rider aids useless for that purpose. Unnecessary. Size of bike is virtually irrelevant for technique, but a big bike may actually be a hindrance in getting better. Get fast on a smaller bike; then follows being a better rider on a bigger bike. Learn how to make the small bike my bitch, rather than compensating for under-developed skills with power.

The logic behind street legal is I don't anticipate more than a few track days this year. The idea is to limit the number of bikes in the garage, so an ideal bike for the track (save for DOT stuff) that's street legal affords more opportunities to ride the bike.

That said, I wound up with a pair of CBRs. A 600RR and a 1000RR. The duo together was too good a deal not to. The 600 is an 04 and has a steering dampener, exhaust/fueling, and the usual bike parts that make it ridable. I think that'll work.

I still might get a track-prepped SV650 at some point, if it starts to be look like it's becoming a regular thing.

(Edit: Well, limiting the number of bikes in the garage is not really a priority. Having the money tied up in bikes I'm able to ride is (i.e. on nearby roads when I don't have the time to go to a far away track).)

Thanks for the follow up input.

TurboBlew likes this.