1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bearings on Magnetic Drain Plug

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SuddenBraking, Oct 9, 2020.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Hey guys,

Finally doing my first oil change on my Husqvarna TE511 (had it for a year or more, only ridden it about 300 miles) and pulled the magnetic drain plug out and it looked like a scrapyard on top of it. Wiped it off and there's clearly bearing balls in there (pic below). I went through the stator and the clutch and didn't see any obvious signs there (there's some bearings in there but they're a real thin bearing that doesn't use balls).

I was curious if any of you know any other places I should be looking (I've been looking through the manual but not seeing anything obvious as of yet). FWIW, the bike seems to run fine so if I can't figure out what it is/was I was just going to flush the oil once or twice and see what else may come out before deciding on next steps. There was also metal shavings on the two mesh filter screens at the bottom.

Appreciate any help.

Attached Files:

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I would probably not ride it if you're finding ball bearings in the oil. You may damage something way more expensive. Time for a tear down. Transmission surely would use ball bearings.

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

At 300 miles it's still under warranty, no? I'd be dropping it off at the dealer.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Ahhh yeah that's not good

5. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Yikes....I read that a couple times to make sure I was reading it right. Put that bike in the back of the truck and drop at the dealer ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SuddenBraking

Sorry guys - I should've been more clear. The bike is a 2013 that I bought a year or so ago (maybe even two) and just haven't had time to ride. I'll take some pics later on today, but there's obvious scoring in/around the inside of the clutch cover and a funny looking gash as well. This bike has a separate right side cover that I'm taking off now and where I hope to see whatever was causing the scoring on the clutch cover.

Will let you know what I find.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

[​IMG]

Dave_SV likes this.
  8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm guessing waterpump bearings. Good news is that they are too large for the oil pump, but what's inside your oil filter?

Good luck.

9. SuddenBraking

The plot thickens.

Fairly sure this engine has been dropped and worked on outside of the frame because I can't see anyone designing this bolt to fit into this space (the one my fat finger is pointing to in the attached pic). First time I've ever tried to "make" my own tool, but it seems like the bolt is slightly stripped so I doused that cutoff 5mm hex in blue loctite and am letting it harden as we speak. Also ordered a set of stubby hex keys (didn't know that was a thing until a minute ago) that will be here tomorrow if that doesn't work.

As you can see, the clutch side is marred up pretty good (particularly around that cutout for whatever sprocket that is). My hope is it's a simple bearing on that side (to @pscook's point, my first guess was a waterpump bearing as well) which I can quickly replace and get on with my life, but we'll see. In hindsight I wish I'd done what I wanted to do for a while and sold this bike and upgraded to something that's more reliable and modern, but now that I know it's got an issue I can't in good conscience do that.

Attached Files:

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I think that submerged socket drive bolt isn't necessary to remove the side cover. It looks like it holds the sprocket to the cover and likely the sprocket has a supporting bearing on the case side.

Regarding the cover bolt behind the frame, it might be easier to pull the engine than attempt to get that gasket surface to seal after you install the cover. Or at least remove all of the engine mount bolts and rotate the engine for access.

You should go over to Huskycafe and see if anyone has tips and tricks.

11. SuddenBraking

Yeah, apologies if that wasn't clear - it's the bolt behind the frame that is holding me up. I was just showing the sprocket to show the chipping of the metal around it. If the stubby hex keys don't get the job done than I'll see if I can pull the engine (I don't know how else to get it out besides pulling) but odds are at that point I'll just part out the bike vs trying to fix it and get something that I'd feel more comfortable riding deep into the woods on and be confident it can get my fat ass back out and won't leave me stranded.

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. SuddenBraking

So, the nubby hex keys still don't fit. Going to try one more extra nubby set (pic below) and if they don't work I'm at a decision point. I really want a 2018 Husky FE 350 that's listed on CL near me, so I'll probably call one of those "sell me your non running dirtbike" places and get them to come over and pick it up and tell the wife I sold it for what I bought it for :D

upload_2020-10-11_17-38-53.png

Boman Forklift and MachineR1 like this.
  13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Too bad you aren't closer to me as I'm always looking for something to rescue. Good luck, that bike is worth the repair. I mean yeah the FE350 is a good bike, but I'm a bit of a big bore fan.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  14. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

The 510/511 bikes were designed very strange to begin with. I won't say badly but definitely not with service in mind. If you strip one down you will need every size socket and Allen wrench you own. The 449/310/250 bikes were designed far more intelligently.

15. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

This style is the smallest hex I've got to use
    https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-f40...0/67056/EZR-HLS1000__76745.1379703298.jpg?c=2

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You ever split the cases on a motorcycle. There's plenty of ball bearings in the tranny. Time to bust that bottom end open and see what's going on.

[​IMG]

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

on another note. the spark plug connector on the Husky FE350 is basically non-removable. previous owner of mine put a dent in the frame above it, to being able to just barely get it out.

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Just pulled the motor on my 510 to send to Halls for a rebuild. Only 2200 miles and I broke a tooth off one of the transmission gears. At least yours is still in warranty.

19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

20. SuddenBraking

Good news/bad news. The extra nubby hex key worked to get that bolt off so exposed to the right side; the bad news is it looks pristine as all hell so the bearing has to be from the tranny.

I think at this point I'm just gonna part this thing out and get a more modern Jap/KTM/Husky that won't leave me stranded and I can find parts for. So, anyone need any parts from a 2013 TE511? :p

Or if someone local wants a cheap project drop me a line - I promise I'm easy to deal with and will make you quite the deal.

Also have two sets of unused wheels (supermoto and knobbies).