1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2020 | Round 2 | Spain | Jerez | July 24-26

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jul 22, 2020.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I agree, it is a very good team. That magic, and the fantastic attitude, will get tested the first weekend he doesn't dominate. I am thinking that's 5 days out...

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I think he's going to do better than people expect. I agree with Simon in that we haven't seen his true pace yet because he hasn't needed to show it. If a Duc takes the podium, I'm still putting him on the second step. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bagnaia will be second best Duc, not Dovi.

1. Miller
    2. Quartararo
    3. Pol
    4. Bagnaia

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Quartararo's overall Jerez #2 race time was 0.130 seconds faster than Jerez #1. I believe that is the definition of precision.

The Great One likes this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Amazing

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did you guys on MotoGP.com get to see the interaction between Lin Jarvis and the Petronas team principal (I have yet to memorize his name) on the pit wall just after the race? :D

They just showed that today on French TV during Brno practice. LJ was probably counting on the face masks to keep the conversation out of the public eye. He asked "do you mind if I go to the podium in my capacity as project leader, since we have a rare all-Yamaha podium?" There was a long, awkward silence. Then the guy told him "this is already a rare opportunity for us", shook his hand and walked away. The awkwardness of the moment was palpable through the TV set. :crackup:

RayRay and YamahaRick like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

^ bump.

8. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

:crackup:

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Wouldn't want Vizla to get all the attention.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can't recall the others at the moment but I know there's more. Their time will come. :D

Robby-Bobby and Quicktoy like this.
  11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while :D

In all seriousness, good for him. Excellent ride today and I'll give credit where it's due. So if he can produce a few more similarly good results, I'll concede he's fit for the LCR ride. Still won't say he needs a factory ride though unless he's actually on the podium consistently.

Quicktoy likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

No one has been on the podium consistently this year, so you're asking him to even exceed what every other rider is doing for him to "earn" his seat in your eyes?

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yes, he's still 14th in points. There's 12 factory seats available. One podium on arguably the fastest bike on the grid does not scream factory rider to me. He's still got a lot to prove. My blind squirrel comment was partly tongue in cheek but also somewhat serious. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be in GP. But arguing his case for a factory seat is a big ask when he's sitting 14th. He still has a lot to prove. Taka is 5th for reference and if I remember correctly, isn't he on old equipment?

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn, Gigi's mask probably has more technology and a larger budget then the entire Esponsorama team. :D

Seiko and Quicktoy like this.
  15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

lol arguably the fastest bike on the grid???

I’ll argue that.

faster? Not than Ducati and KTM

Better handling? Not than Yamaha and Suzuki.

so yea it’s better than the Aprilia. Lol

BigBird likes this.
  16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I read an interview with Cal that the power was dialed down for the rain, which made the Honda easier to ride, inferring that it has too much power this year.

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You just don't know when to quit, do you? :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’m really happy for Alex. He hasn’t been fast this season, but he’s been extremely consistent whereas most other riders have results that look like lotto numbers. He seems to be extremely disciplined and intelligent. He doesn’t want to ride the way Marc, Crutchlow or Pol do, manhandling the machine and getting out of shape. I don’t think the Honda suits him at all (not that it suits anyone other than his brother). He really needs to be on a Suzuki or Yamaha to shine. If young Rins keeps throwing away every chance at a podium or victory, he might find himself swapped with another Alex.

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Too bad Rossi shut that down

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I thought it was Jarvis? I don’t think Rossi has that type of sway to influence rider choice anymore. He’d have influenced them to boot Mav instead of him to Petronas if he had that influence!

It’s a stupid attitude to have. The guy’s brother is at Honda, but if you thought Alex might be shit hot on your bike you would let that stop you?