1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Tracks suitable for WSBK or MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by prm, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I keep forgetting that's there. :( I would have brought it up when I was laughing and throwing out places already here and people who had tried using areas around the airport in the past.

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The Ridge wouldn't be good for WSBK, nor GP.

pscook likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Weren't they pondering a WSBK round @ Barber a few years back?

4. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I believe that was associated with the rumor of expanding the track to have a longer straight.

stk0308 and noles19 like this.
  5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Does MotoGP require tracks to have boxes for them to set their pit? Most tracks dont have it here, seems to be more common in other countries.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Nelson is just a tire fire away from being ready

rk97, beechkingd and 969 like this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yep, they made it pretty far in the planning stages too I believe

8. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Nah, they’d be fine running out of a ford panel van with a harbor freight gennie and an ez-up

9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The cost of the land alone in NoVa would be crazy! On the good side there are a good number of people with jobs thanks to .gov. From a taxation and regulation standpoint I think Summit Point has it right being just across the border. Maybe build some Ohvale sized tracks.

10. matt2491

matt2491 Well-Known Member

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You left TGP off :eek:

Kev59 likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They had a few "plans" for the land. Non flight/ airport land at Dulles, land at the base of the take off runway at the airport (they are now trying to build houses there), up off the greenway near leesburg (currently farm land), out 66 toward front royal and out past Manassas.

"We can rent the place out during the week for federal and law enforcement training and. . ."
    "Dude, they already do that at Summit, Quantico is only an hour down the road and there is that place up near dulles that is off limits to you and I."
    "Oh."

They forgot the people up near the airport would bitch about the noise (yeah, people that build and live near an airport bitch about noise :D ).

I think they backed off and are looking to build warehouse space up near sterling now. :crackup:

13. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I’ve seen countless idiots complaining about airport noise. Flew out of Miramar and Oceana in the Navy. Base has been there for literally forever and new homeowners bitch. o_O A track would be perfect for land around Dulles. I can’t see more training for ‘special’ folks given what is already available as you said. Maybe add on to the Fairfax police training area and use it for us on weekends. They have a sweet shooting range too! I need to figure out how to get access to some of that Dulles land to hunt deer.
    I’m under the westbound departure for Dulles, but a bit further out on Bull Run mountain. I’m amazed how quiet jets are now.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

I was about to suggest Talladega. not the little one though :D

imagine the MGP bikes in an oval for like 50 laps...

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yes and the ONLY way you can get motogp or wsbk to a track without them is throw Dorna a ton more money. Laguna barely passes and they have to have camper trailers for the riders to hide in. The pit boxes at Monza and Portimao are pretty impressive

rafa likes this.
  16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I’d love to get a behind the scenes tour of Red Bull ring.

17. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Let them bad boys slay the Dragon. Way better than any ole stupid purpose built track. A t-shirt , a cold PBR and a killboy photo is worth a hunert of them bullshit sissy trophys and some bubbly. That'd separate the pretenders from the real racers.

inpayne and SpeedyE like this.
  18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Indy and cota are it, and hopefully both will be back on the schedule and well supported.

rk97 likes this.
  19. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Several years ago, Road America was in talks with Dorna to modify the track to get an event there. The cost at the time was in the neighborhood of $6M. Dorna wanted them to make a left turn before the Sargento Bridge (turn 4), up over the hill to the entry to The Carousel. At that point, they would run counter-course to turn 5 and turn left over the cross-over to turn 13. No need to move tracks. The plan didn't get very far from what I was told.

2blueYam likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even if they had done so I don't see Mr B paying the sanction fee.