1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Way Up

Discussion in 'General' started by aftriathlete, Sep 20, 2020.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

New Ewan McGregor moto documentary series just premiered yesterday on AppleTV+. Luckily I have a free 1-yr subscription to that service, came with the new Apple TV device I bought a couple months back. Just watched the first episode and looks awesome so far for those that were fans of Long Way Round and Long Way Down.

2. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Really loved long way around and long way down. I don't have apple tv so I really hope it will eventually be available on other platforms . I know they have been talking around doing long way up for years and years. I'm happy they finally did it

aftriathlete likes this.
  3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

pop this bad boy... come on Jonny...

Phl218 likes this.
  4. aftriathlete

Oh yeah, look at that, someone mentioned this 6 or 7 weeks back already. My bad.

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Just watched first three episodes. So far, doing it on electric harleys is biting them in the ass, hardcore. Nothing like plugging the bikes in at night to charge overnight, waking up in the morning to the bikes taken on only another 6 or 7 miles in range....

The scene where they're in a remote hotel and push the bikes inside to charge them, then next scene the whole house goes dark was hilarious....oh and having a massive diesel generator set in the back of a flat bed truck following you around...right.

I couldnt believe when the first time the screen showed their recharge time on the "1st stage" charger...it was at 33% battery left and would reach full charge in......8 HOURS!!

other than that, the nostalgic feeling is awesome, having the whole gang back together!

aftriathlete likes this.
  6. aftriathlete

Yeah I binged on the first two series 6 years ago when they were on Netflix, I was laid up after hip surgery and I watched both series in about 2 days. I’m 2 episodes in now, and man, I get what they were trying to do with the electric bikes, but definitely seems like a shitshow so far, the technology isn’t even close to fit what they’re trying to do.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. CRA_Fizzer

8. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

So all three threads claim repost lol

Watched the first three last night. Yeah it would really suck constantly worrying about every bit of power for 15,000 miles, would kinda take any fun out of the riding. But the technical challenge is interesting. I was amazed how Rivian pulled off getting those electric support vehicles ready. When they showed the progress two weeks from launch I was like “ no way”. I guess they haven’t crossed the finish line yet but they really appear to have pulled off something there. Oh yeah, “and we’re going to build a charging network for you along thousands of miles of remote country in South America”. Wow

aftriathlete likes this.
  9. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

some of ya'll need to give it a rest being sheriff of the repost police... who the fuck cares?

it's like a race to see who can yell repost and point fingers the fastest and then wait for pats on the back from your repost deputies.

10. CRA_Fizzer

There seems to be no consistency with the repost police.

People get popped creating a new thread about something that's buried in an existing thread.

This particular thread is pop worthy.

11. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

no it’s not. who cares?

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

E bikes seem dumb for this scenario.

backcountryme likes this.
  13. CRA_Fizzer

How weird, they don't want to charge when it's really cold out... [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14. aftriathlete

Just watched the third episode. I’ve never been interested in the idea of adventure riding, but something about this one is really appealing to me. Maybe it’s where I’m at in my life now, or maybe it’s just how stunning the views are as they are riding through Patagonia, but I find myself thinking I wanna do that, which is new for me. Motorcycles have just been for racing for me in the past. Second thought is that electric bikes are definitely the future, but they are not the present. It’s going to take things like this to force the development though, but ultimately it will really take breakthroughs in battery technology, which projects like this one won’t really help.

15. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Slow way up.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  16. CRA_Fizzer

The look on that Harley's reps face when Ewan told her if they can't use the type 1 (or whatever it's called) charging, the bikes are useless. Priceless.

17. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I watched all thw available episodes this past weekend.
    The show doesn't emphasize they are only getting like 100-150 miles a day so far... when they were probably doing over double that with the regular bikes before.
    But I will give the gudos to HD... so far the bikes have held up to the road test.
    Far better than I was expecting.

motion likes this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Pretty much my sentiment. The show is pretty good and I enjoy Ewan's sense of humor. Poor Charlie seems like a shell of his former self. I don't get the electric bike thing, but Ewan seems to have a passion for electric stuff, so it kind of makes sense.

19. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Their other two shows were so inspiring. I remember watching for the first time and was just awestruck. So bummed to see this on AppleTV only now. Can't wait for it to make it to netflix or amazon or HBO so I can watch the damn thing. I'd happily just buy it if I could download it.

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Those two would be so much better off just grabbing a few KLR’s, a decent camera guy, and heading off on an adventure. The commercialization of their rides ruins the adventure aspect, IMO.

jrsamples and CRA_Fizzer like this.