1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Morning Dave,

The Kendon was a beast. That thing never missed a beat and the old Pilot pulled the bikes through the West Virginia hills like there was nothing behind her. So much easier than loading everything in my truck.

WV was beautiful this weekend. On Saturday I rode the GSA from Normantown to Snowshoe and back...almost 7 hours in the saddle on back roads that resembled US129 yet with no vehicles. I'd go 30-40 minutes without seeing a car. Only negative is that every SOB in WV that lives on the road blows their grass into the road. Other than that, just a beautiful day with 65 degree weather.

Sunday Nick got his first ride on the Tenere. He loved it. Yeah, the 990R was an infinitely cooler motorcycle, but he felt right at home on the S10. We did about a 3 hour ride all around Glenville and had a blast. Came back to the homestead, started a fire and drank until the stars came out (and there were many).

As close to a perfect weekend as you can get.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Wonderful. Glad the Tenere worked for him.

Keep an eye on the tongue to trailer welded connections on the Kendon. I've seen them break - with less load than what you're toting. Don't know if that instance was the result of abuse, etc., but it happened to one of the guys toting his 690 to the 2018 Alcan 5000. Just a part of regular trailer maintenance and attention, I suppose. Kendon's have great reputations.

Cheers,

Dave

rd400racer likes this.
  3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I hear the roads from there to Ringgold are pretty good...
    What day do you want to meet up For a ride?

I heard BSA is riding Thursday...

4. Kid has ball tonight so hoping to be able to sneak away tomorrow as he has another game Thursday. Wont be missing an 8 year old little league game to ride although half the time when there it’s all I’ll be thinking about. My son will be pitching tonight and probably Thursday as well. I’ll tell ya, playing catcher while he pitches is damn harder on my body than woods riding.

turner38 likes this.
  5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a DS guy, but the Continental TKC80 seems to have more street cred than the 606, which puts them into the Trailwing category (but a better tire than the TW). I'm pretty sure that the TKC80 comes stock on the KTM EXC500. The Michelin Anakee appears in searches for DS tires, might be worth a look.

turner38 likes this.
  6. turner38

I’ve got the Anakee wilds on the 790 and they are pretty kick ass. Thought about a set of them on my 300 for dual sport stuff. Really need a second set of wheels so I can have a more Street orientated tire at times.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Where's the dirt? He might as well be on an HD.
    TL;DW
    :D

9. turner38

Why is it every time I see a T7 it reminds me of Bad Billy Robinson and team Hurricane?
    Not sure why but it brings that to mind...

10. Critter

Critter Registered

Does anyone have a good map of dirt roads in GA, NC, SC, VA or WV, or TN? I am looking to log some miles, I need things wide enough for a truck

11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Gravelmaps.com
    Pick a National Forrest and look up their MVUM (motor vehicle use map)

duggram likes this.
  12. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

trailsoffroad seems decent. It's mostly jeep/truck based and a subscription. But, it's a good start, and I've wasted more gas in one trip getting lost than the annual fee. I've linked that up with some browsing of the MVUM for the area to find some pretty decent routes.

13. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Gravel map link. Looks awesome. Going check out some of the routes

14. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

20200920_075050.jpg
    My current daily rider, and soon to be gravel road explorer out of Winston Salem N.C

cBJr, cpettit and malamute like this.
  15. turner38

On X Off road is what I use. Works pretty well and shows most of the roads you come across. As well as trails and you can select vehicle type and width for trails.

https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad-app

16. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

My idea of adventure riding is something like the NMBDR. I got rid of the T700. For me it just can't compare to the Husqvarna 701 for adventure riding. The day before I cruised at 80 for about 80 miles to catch up to my partners. After that we rode through a lot of desert then into the mountains. The 701 is about 80 pounds lighter than the T700. That's a big difference for me. I'm 70 now and not as fit anymore. There's nothing like riding through deserted lands and camping in the mountains.

Jemez camping copy.jpg

motoracer1100, ducnut and malamute like this.
  17. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Going to do the Mid Atlantic Backcountry discover route starting later this week. Probably leave Ohio Wednesday morning, start in Damascus VA Thursday. My coworker has a KTM 1090 and I have a KTM 790. Any must-do things along the way?

18. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Find me when you get here, or wait a few days and I’ll show you a reroute that I’ve mapped. I’m heading north on the 27th

19. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

E073C98B-2109-411B-B3A5-44A234C61CFF.jpeg 7A1202E5-5E56-4A48-8D13-3174A90EF447.jpeg 2216E2DF-3DAE-4E9C-ADA2-D93B08ABA194.jpeg I am still loving my T7! Perfect ADV bike for me. It’s just so good.

stk0308, ducnut and jrsamples like this.
  20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

roy826ex likes this.