1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Crazy For Considering Moving to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 25, 2020.

1. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Yes, quite a bit.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

IB rocks.
    20+ years ago you could actually get a nice home in a nice area a few blocks from the ocean.

Prices are probably up a tad now

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Went to Laguna yesterday. I have never in my life seen the waters in so cal so fucking clear. I could see the bottom from the deep and was able to dive for really badass white/clear stones and shells

it was awesome

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You know, clear ocean water is not a good sign. It means a lot of the typical nutrients that support the bottom of the food chain are missing. Of course I'm not talking about plastic soda bottles....

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm still a few weeks away from going to LA. He actually delayed this a week or so, to train a couple new employees to help me out in training. He is changing their program a little, to better utilize me. Normally their sales people spend 3 days in the field, then 2 days in the office finalizing proposals. I'd rather be in the field, so he will have me out there meeting clients 5 days a week, and have the new employees doing the paperwork. He's confident I can sell $100k a week.

TurboBlew and The Great One like this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

but it's better for Instagram

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Our recent talks have went well, I am planning on going out there the first week of October. My plan is to spend a month there, and then decide if it's for me. I have a feeling they will love me there, I bring more experience than anyone else there, but it is a much different market. I feel like I'm in a great position, he needs me more than I need him. I have a great gig now, plenty of work, they're all referrals, my system works well. But....I'm 57, and after 40+ years of physical work, my days of being that physical are limited. According to him, and what he thinks I can achieve, my income can increase 4x. I know the cost of housing, it's about 4x the cost here, on average. I will live modestly there, not blowing it all on a lavish new lifestyle, if I can't save more than I make now, I won't go there, I'm only going there for the money. Even if I move there, I will keep my house and all my tools here in Indy, just in case I need to come back.

There are dozens of things I am considering. I have 5 older siblings, and the oldest turns 70 next month, we are all very close, they are important to me. My wife is a teacher with a contract until next May, she would finish the year here. My daughter just started her second year of college (nursing) she would finish the year here as well, and there's as much as a 2 year wait to get into some nursing schools there.

Even though I only spent 4 days there, and that was before the pandemic, I did not experience any of the congestion and traffic jams that LA is known for. I never felt unsafe, threatened, or out of place, everyone was very friendly. Of course I was in the north and east part of the city...Beverly Hills, Brentwood, North Hollywood, Burbank, Pasadena. Some of their work is in downtown LA, but not much. I wasn't prepared to like it as much as I did.

The Great One likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I emailed a friend that lives near Pasadena yesterday, asking is it really hot, being that I saw something online about it. Her reply:

Enjoy!

9. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Isn't that what Really matters?

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I heard about a reading of 121 somewhere in LA yesterday! Sept is their hottest month, and it cools down quickly after that. I've recently lost some weight, so the heat doesn't bother me nearly as much, it's 71 in my house now and I'm freezing. The income numbers this guy is throwing at me seem to outweigh most minor annoyances.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

October is the beginning of the fire season. Look out for those Santa Anas!

12. ChemGuy

Angelinos are worse than a virus or cockroaches....god keeps trying to drive them out with heat, fire, floods/mudslides and they keep staying. they dont seem to get the hint.

:D

motion and Banditracer like this.
  13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Honest question, with all the "issues" currently happening, will large droves of people leaving the state affect your income? Especially those folks with money? If this is a one year venture, enjoy. If it's a long term venture, look at what's happening that will affect the long term. Don't forget to look at what the politicians are saying, INCLUDING what will happen to you if you decide to leave the state again.

YamahaRick likes this.
  14. brl0301

brl0301 Well-Known Member

you mean to tell me that successful people don't want to stick around and pay additional taxes on their assets? Good thing CA is a step ahead, well just tax em for 10 years after they flee... Last round of tax hikes on the rich only brought in about 25% of the revenue it was supposed to but they got smart this time around

15. ChemGuy

I'm not going to touch that with Metalhead's keyboard...I learnt my lesson. :D

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Successful people stick around California because they bought a home for 5 million 20 years ago and its now worth 15 million. Those are some pretty good reasons to be happy about California.

SuddenBraking and The Great One like this.
  17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I just posed some very real questions with very real considerations. :D

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It's still about 25% cheaper than anything up the coast. I looked at homes in IB for a bit. It's a really cool town but the commute to anywhere sucks and the water is pretty gross. The only time I ever surfed there I got sick, and the water safety reports are always pretty poor.

I lucked out with my house anyway. I pay IB rent in OB so there's no incentive. I'll stay where I'm at until I leave California.

19. ChemGuy

Nice.

I did read they are finally getting the TJ river sewer plant online. that should help the IB water a ton.

But i did like OB or PB for being much more central...you're right about that.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

This is a short term venture, 3-7 years. I don't think the exodus of people affect his business much, he says his business has been cruising at top speed for a few years now. He's practically begging me to come out there. I don't see any benefit for him to mislead me.