1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maine Weekend Getaway

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Not sure why, but I've always wanted to do a weekend in Maine. Stay at a BnB and eat lobster. Maybe its because I'm never in New England. My travels tend to be primarily in landlocked locations.

Anyone have a great little spot on a coastal town or a place they would recommend?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah. My parents’ house.

Are you driving or flying?

How much time you got?

The “more quaint” you want, the further north you gotta go. Once you get north of Brunswick and jump on US-1, you’ll go through lots of whistlestop cities and town. Boothbay Harbor is a decent destination on the southern end, Rockland/Rockport/Camden in the mid coast, further north you’re getting into areas that are more “real New England”, like Deer Isle/Stonington. Take it all the way to Eastport and take a gander at Old Sow.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Bah Hahbuh.

tropicoz likes this.
  4. Hyperdyne

Definitely fly. I'll only be able to do a 3 day weekend. Renting a car is a given, but I would rather not spend the whole weekend driving to a destination. Let me be clear.. I want to eat my way through the weekend LOL.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fly into PWM. Grab a hoopty and head north. You can get all the way to Calais and back in 3 days...but why would you?

Rockland is the “Lobster Capital of the World”, and they’re now touting themselves as the “Art Capital of Maine”. Locals aren’t too impressed with the stupidity being put forth by the governor and the city council. Http://Knox.villagesoup.com is the local rag there. There’s plenty to see there, but with the Lobster Festival cancelled this year I don’t know how the local scene is for restaurants.

How adventurous are you? No guarantees, but it’s possible I could get my BIL to take you out to haul a trap or two. At the very least you could get a view of the boats and get fed at Miller’s Wharf in St George.

So easy, even a 7yr old can do it :D

Attached Files:

6. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Point Sebago is a nice spot to visit. My family used to go every summer...I actually never went with them bc I was too cool back then but the pics were lovely [emoji4]

7. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Several years back, we were attending a wedding in Cape Cod. We decided to explore north and took our bicycles. We sampled Lobster and local ice cream shops, as we day tripped north. We skipped the Portland area, and a surprise bonus was the AMA in Nu HAM-sure.
    Remember Miguel ?

rd400racer likes this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We did a house in Ogunquit and it was everything you'd expect Maine to be. Just wonderful.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When our kids were young we used to camp in Calais below Eastport, I love that area.

10. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

In August wife and I went to Portland ME, Boothbay Harbor ME and Portsmouth NH. If we were to do it again, I’d skip Portsmouth NH, most things were closed and lobster wasn’t nearly as good. Boothbay Harbor was great and we stayed at this resort https://linekinbayresort.com/ which includes use of their kayaks.

This place in town for lobster rolls, fried clams etc: https://www.shannonsunshelled.biz/ get a blueberry soda, outdoor seating
    upload_2020-9-5_13-33-55.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-5_13-36-55.jpeg

THIS PLACE FOR THE WIN https://pemaquidseafood.com/ about 35 mins drive, BYOB check closing times, outdoor seating
    upload_2020-9-5_13-32-25.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-5_13-32-57.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-5_13-33-15.jpeg
    After eating all this walk if off at the nearby lighthouse
    upload_2020-9-5_13-34-51.jpeg
    There’s a bar right next door which had live music when we were there.

In Portland ME, https://highrollerlobster.com/ Perhaps the best roll I’ve ever had. And LOBSTER cocktail!
    upload_2020-9-5_13-38-54.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-5_13-39-17.jpeg

Phl218, HPPT and Sabre699 like this.
  11. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

Skip the lobster rolls. Those are the biggest rip off ever. $20??? The fried clam rolls are wonderful, and reasonable.

I spent June and July this year in Southwest Harbor. That’s very nice country, and Acadia National Park is right there.

There’s a neat B&B in a more rural area if you don’t have to be by the sea. It was amazingly affordable and right next to a snowmobile/4-wheeler trail that runs all the way up to Canada I’m told.

It was the home of the Maine senator played by Alan Alda in The Aviator.

Check out their “Game Room” suite. Beautiful.

https://www.brewsterinn.com/

12. Sabre699

Ditch everyone and get a dirt bike and ride around Baxter State Park...3 days oughta do it.

pickled egg likes this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yall do know that lobsters are basically the cockroaches of the ocean, right?

tropicoz and Phl218 like this.
  14. Sabre699

Nah...cockroaches collapse quicker in your mouth with a crunching motion...well at least quicker than lobster.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’ve eaten a bottom feeder or two in my lifetime... ;)

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm not touching that one.... :crackup:

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Lobster is $6 lb right now for chix, you can afford to eat all you want.

18. Hyperdyne

Perfect! That’s what I was looking for!

19. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

2nd Boothbay Area if you are on a quick weekend trip. Not too far from Portland but far enough. A little touristy but all of coastal Maine is now. Stop at Round Top Ice Cream in Damariscotta (close to Boothbay) and get a ham Italian at an Amato's easiest to find in the Portland area. Skip the lobster rolls and just get lobsters and steamers. Fried clams, clam strips if you don't want to deal with the bellies. Tugboat Inn used to have a nice restaurant. Shaw's lobster wharf used to be good too. Been 5 or so years since I have been up there so YMMV.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Never been before then grab a car in Boston. Flying into Logan should save you a few hundred per person. Go to Booth Bay. There's enough to do there on foot and a very nice spot to get a feel of Maine. Plan on a few discovery trips before deciding what area you like.

And don't listen to Pickled Egg. His family hasn't been in Maine for long and they're still considered to be from Away.

PS I was there mid July and some things had shut down for the year due to Covid

pickled egg likes this.