1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I can't believe no one has suggested it yet. :D
    Walmart, $20, if they can keep 'em on the shelf.
    image.png
    People have caught 24" Pike with these, so...

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Ugly stick has been around long enough that I’d be comfortable with it if it falls in line with your criteria. It’s proven itself to be a solid enough contender to still be putting out production.

R1M370 likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I noticed you said it is 6'6. Is there a specific height I should look for? I noticed the GX2 which comes up in most articles is only 4'8.

4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

The 6'6 will be better for longer cast from the bank, it's a two piece so storage is easy.

I would recommend the ugly stik elite instead of the GX2.

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

IMO this is fantastic advice. Any $100 or so M/F rod should do the trick. I like the Fuego as well, but I hardly throw spinning gear anymore so I may be out of the loop. I like mine though.

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

BG2500 is an awesome reel, especially for the price, but quite a bit bigger than the comparable Fuego 2500. I don't think I'd wanna bass fish ponds and such with one. I save my BGs for when I'm in FL surf/pier/pass fishing. And FG FTW. Once you do it a couple hundred times its not that hard lol. Goes through small guides so much nicer than uni to uni though. I wouldn't bother with it on a spinning setup, but it's all I tie on braid to leader casting setups.

7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've probably caught way more fish on a cheap shimano combo than any of my nicer setups (nothing really spectacular). Pick any hobby now from fishing, golf, softball etc, and there is so many choices of gear and it's so specific for certain things it'll make your head spin. All of it designed to suck money out of your wallet. The average Joe doesn't have a hope in hell of noticing any of the little nuance stuff between it all. Pick something cheap/middle of the road and have fun with it. IMO of course :D

Funkm05 likes this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

This man knows of what he speaks. :beer:

9. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

You've summed up my experience and tendency to over analyze everything.

Believe I'll go find something middle of the road that is in stock and pull the trigger!

10. Dan Dubeau

Finally finished this guy last night. Carved it last year around this time, and it's been sitting waiting for paint ever since.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's motorcycle related because I used twisted saftey wire for the joints, and line/hook ties :D

BHP41 and motoracer1100 like this.
  11. That’s cool, how’s the action in the water?

12. Dan Dubeau

Don't really know yet. To scared to throw it out there lol. It's a slow sinker, almost neutrally buoyant, and I tested it a bit last year in the bathtub. I think it would do fine with a slow pause retrieve.

13. Well done sir, that’s awesome stuff. One day I’ll make a few carbon jerk baits.

14. Dan Dubeau

Thanks. I started making lures last year as a craft project with the kids, and I fell down the rabbit hole....lol. Just wish I had more time to use them.

15. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

IMG_20200915_215327.jpg

47.75" Wisco greenback, new personal best for me.

groundhogday, Dan Dubeau and Funkm05 like this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Hell of a catch, there. Where at?

17. Dayum
    Nice catch

18. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

yep

19. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

The water of course!!!!

Long Lake in Chippewa county

20. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

DAYUM!

Weight? Bait used? How long was the fight?

Congrats!