1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Sep 2, 2020.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Looking to the all mighty beeb for reviews on insurance companies. They wife and I had AAA in SoCal the last 4 years I think and Safeco for over 15 years before that. Making the move to Texas this year (I’m not even completely there yet) we looked at switching everything to AAA Texas. They don’t insure motorcycles which got me shopping all of it. The AAA quote for a policy in Texas was only a few hundred cheaper than I paid in CA when you factor in a m/c policy.

I did online quotes for Progressive and Geico. Both were substantially cheaper, while keeping coverages and deductibles the same. Progressive was almost half of AAA and Geico was about a grand less. I’m the guy who thinks when something seems to cheap, it is probably for a good reason. I want a reasonable rate and a good company to deal with if I should need them.

Anyone have experience with these companies or any others you can share, good or bad? Thanks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our house and cars are through Allstate and that is going to change soon. Heard great things about Farmers but they are not cheap. My bikes are through Progressive, I alternate between them and Geico every 5 or so years depending on who is cheaper. Haven't had to deal with them yet so no idea on that part.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Do you access to USAA? I’ve never heard anything bad about them by a single insured. At least not that I recall.

BigBird and Jed like this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Pick one and then reshop it every couple years when the rate get jacked up as they most certainly will. There is no customer loyalty there is only new customer pricing.

Philip Mirgliotta and jasonhise like this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

AAA is almost always super high compared to everybody else when I’ve looked.

Yes you really were paying that much more for it CA.

wsmc42 likes this.
  6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Ironically, my agent here in SC is licensed in TX as she had a remote worker there.

She is with State Farm and is awesome to work with!!! Give her a call and let her know Tyler Beard sent ya...she'll do the best she can to get you set-up.

Misty Stathos
    803-951-9151

Sabre699 and wsmc42 like this.
  7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Some states require any and all companies in the state to insure any and all drivers. USAA was available to everyone in SC when I lived there. Love the company. I've been with them for 20 years and use them for insurance and car financing as needed.

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I just switched to geico. Massive difference from them to all the others. But I get the fed discount now, which was the major factor. Good luck either way, i hate insurance co’s

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I have 2 cars, 2 trucks, and my homeowner's all through Progressive, been with them about 10 years. They seem ok with me.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

There is no difference in insurance companies other than price, period. In fact the better known names are the worst to deal with and first to screw you on claims.
    If you don't go with the cheapest quote for the same coverage you are literally pissing away cash
    End of story
    End of thread
    I dare anyone to prove otherwise

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

And requote everything every year

wsmc42 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What this guy said.

I wouldn’t recommend Hanover to my worst enemy, the stupid bullshit games they played when Mother Nature shat a tree branch on my truck. I am, however, still insured with them because they are significantly less expensive for my G/L policy.

Personal autos through Regressive. Only claims have been glass and a NAF with one of their insured, so nothing really bad to say about them beyond the annoying ad campaigns.

13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Although my wife works at a VA hospital, neither of us are veterans, so I don’t think they are an option. I’ve heard good things and when one of their customers backed into the side of the wife’s Macan last week in the Costco parking lot, they were very nice to deal with when she called them.

14. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Talking with my pops, he likened it to the cable/satellite tv industry. Screw the faithful customer and give the special rate to the new customer to draw them in. I hate that business model, but I guess that is how it’s done these days.

jasonhise likes this.
  15. Venom51

We change every two years like clock work. If I could kick them to the curb like DirecTV I would.

wsmc42 likes this.
  16. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

See I love DirectTV. I called them a few months ago and told them I need a discount because people signing up for the service are getting a better price than I am, and I’ve been a customer since 2012. They tried to get me to add channels, etc.

I asked to speak to a customer loyalty rep and they put some other lady on the phone. Within 5 minutes I had a confirmation number on my $86/month discount I’m receiving for the next 12 mos.

can’t complain about that and I actually get to watch the sports I want in close to real-time and not hav all these stupid streaming delays.

17. Venom51

I sacked them after 20 years of service becasue in that 20 years of service, I as a loyal customer, never got shit in appreciation for being loyal and prompt with that monthly payment for service. Mean while any swinging dick that walks up and signs up for new service gets a 2 year agreement at half the cost. That and them being bought by AT&T was enough to give them the big FU. Oddly after leaving the offers for lower priced service started showing up in the mail. Just showing the ineptitude of those in charge. Would have been easier and cheaper to keep me as a customer than to try to have to lick my asshole trying to get me back. Best thing I've ever done for the household was shut it off. We don't watch shit anymore. I'm not even planning on taking the TVs with us to the new house.

beac83 likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

USAA/GEICO is the best. Progressive is very good too. I worked at Enterprise out of college, and they were fairly easy to deal with rental wise, and their customers didn't really complain about them. Allstate seemed pretty good too.

19. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Currently 2 cars and a bike through Progressive. This is my 3rd go round or so with them as I also shop around about every other year. Have needed them twice (but these were both over a decade ago). Once for hail damage on my brand new truck ( UGH!!), and once when I smacked a dog on my bike. Had no problems with the claims both times.

20. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

When I left SoCal in 2018 and moved to Texas my insurance with USAA went up significantly, I was shocked! I switched to Geico and it went back down and lower than it was in San Clemente. The online app is easy to use and the company is obviously reputable.