1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Flow toilets. WTF?

Discussion in 'General' started by Norton 357, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

What genius designed a toilet that you have to flush 3x after a serious BM?
    Can they be fixed without replacing the whole damn thing?
    Just bought a house from some moron who put in 3 of those sumbitches

2. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Lay a few sheets first to lower the noise and skid signature.

3. Poop

Poop solid today

why cant we be friends

YamRZ350, SuddenBraking and joec like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

This is why you should just poop in your front yard.

5. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Or someone’s fort.

Pixelator and joec like this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

He's probably trying to push a 4" turd through a 3" hole!

jrsamples likes this.
  7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Do you realize just how much water you’re saving?

8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Yep, keep a 5 gallon bucket of water next to them to assist with your flush :D

9. Norton 357

That's what's so effed up. Sure you save water if it all goes down on the first flush but that almost never happens so I keep flushing until it's all gone. I wish I could change out the tanks to a standard size.

If it came out my arse it should go down that pipe. ;) Without 20 gallons of water

E Reed likes this.
  10. I have these pressure vessel things in mine that were installed when I bought the house. Shutters don’t use much water and with the blast pressure they are the shit.

jrsamples likes this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A plumber friend bought all the big flushers his supply house had when the restricted water shit started years ago. He was like a drug dealer for a while after that...everyone wanted one. Made a few dollars too.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

A few weeks ago, I finally shat in the front bathroom. I’d never used it for such a purpose before. There, the toilet hole is too short front to rear. I can either shit, or piss only, or smoosh my dick under the rim uncomfortably and risk smearing a nice chocolate dragon on the rear of the rim. I've been here for years and I am surprised no one has complained.

That toilet was immediately replaced. Just like all three of the OP’s ought to be as well!

Metalhead likes this.
  13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

In California they’re forced to install these pieces of junk everywhere. In commercial spaces they now have to keep a plunger and accoutrement next to the toilets. It’s not that the low flow toilets inherently suck (or not). It’s that they didn’t engineer the cheap ones to flush properly with the reduced water flow. There are excellent ones that don’t need pressure vessels to work right, it’s just that everyone buys the cheapest junk possible. You can have something terribly engineered and simple when you’re profligate with the water and it’ll still work, but not when you use 20% of that volume or whatever it is.

beac83 and Phl218 like this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

there are low water use versions where you don't shit the turd on the plateau , but right in the water. these work better. only time ours struggled was when the kid thought he needed half a roll of TP.

i think this is the model

https://www.build.com/kohler-k-6355/s1322316?uid=3151131

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I prefer the hotel toilet kind that flushes with the force of a typical fireman's hose. Don't bring that weak ass stuff around here.

16. Norton 357

I probably will replace the ones I use, the spare bath will almost never get used. I will do some checking to find a good brand.

The PO did everything cheap and half assed so I'm sure they installed the cheapest thing they could find.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Wasn't there an ep of King of the Hill entirely dedicated to this?

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

That’s the problem with these regulations. They never account for normal economic and human behavior. The low flow toilets that are well designed are excellent. That means more expensive though. Builders go as cheap as possible because good toilets aren’t something customers are typically looking for or will pay a premium on.

Thus, most of the low flow toilets in use end up being total garbage models and for each user you flush it 3-4 times, using 12 gallons instead of 5. I bet the net effect of the low flow toilet regulation is that toilets overall use more water for a greater cost of equipment.

Magical thinking is everywhere.

jrsamples and Norton 357 like this.
  19. Norton 357

How do you know which LF toilets are the good ones though? It's not like you can test drive one. But that would be ideal.

20. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I installed Toto replacement low flow units in my house - like others mentioned it builds pressure when the tank is refilled and uses that pressure to flush. In ~10 years of service never had to plunge even one time. I would recommend them, they make nice stuff, get ada compliant (higher seat), soft close like and oval shaped bowl so your junk doesn't touch it.

jrsamples likes this.