1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Crazy For Considering Moving to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 25, 2020.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

NYC is seeing a huge exodus as well, and a lot are coming to Northern NJ. Houses in my neighborhood that was on the market for months before C-19, all of sudden with same asking price, get 20-30 people on a weekend and the house sold in no time. Almost all the houses around here are going for astronomical prices, with bidding wars ensuing, and most are families from NYC. If more people can potentially WFH, then yeah, NYC is in trouble, especially with no Broadway currently, and well empty streets.

Razr and TurboBlew like this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Is moving from NYC to northern Jersey really much of an improvement ? :D

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

yes. better than all those yellow plates in SC.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

very much so.

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The beach bro. Stay by the beach.

Rico888, cortezmachine and OGs750 like this.
  6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

You should totally stay right on Santa Monica Blvd between Fairfax and Doheny. :D

ChemGuy likes this.
  7. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

My 1BR Apartment in Peekskill has been listed for a month, and isn't getting much attention. Houses in Peekskill are moving quick now.
    It's a perfect place for someone who only needs to get into the city a few days a week.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Their office is on North El Cento Ave, 1 block from Hollywood and Vine.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wonder what's there? Spill the beans....

10. beac83

Horrible place to commute to from anywhere affordable that's decent. Perhaps parts of Silver Lake/ Los Feliz / Echo Park would be OK (over near Dodger Stadium). Or the southwest side of Glendale.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lol... yes

BigBird likes this.
  12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've only been to their office once in the 4 days I was there, so I doubt I would be there very often, I'll be in the field. But you're right, it was pretty busy and finding a parking spot was tough. This was pre covid.

13. Imnotfast

Imnotfast Active Member

I was born and raised in San Diego. Mira Mesa to be exact. Graduated at MM high school and went to college at UCSD. After college I went into the Navy, stationed in SD:rolleyes:. When I got out of the Navy I wanted to live someplace new so I took a job in Ohio as a Project Manager for a commercial contractor. I met my wife there and I stayed for 12 years. Fortunately, I worked for a large developer with large projects all over the US, so I was not stuck full time in Ohio. I actually LIVED in Pittsburgh, Philly, Charlotte, Erie PA, Huntington WV, Wheeling WV, Indianapolis and a few other places for at least a year doing long term projects. Ohio wasn't terrible, just not for me. I did meet some really great people in Ohio, Pete Cline and Joe Ball top that list as do others. I left to come back home to SD in 2015. I will never leave California again. Like they say, opinions are like a#%holes. Every body has one. But, for me at least, California is like no other place. I'm not leaving. You take the good with the bad. For me the good FAR outweighs the bad.

I just spent 3 years living in the Los Angeles area working on big projects. My company provides corporate housing for me so I kept my home in San Diego(Imperial Beach, San Diego's best kept secret). I commuted back home to SD every weekend for 3 years. Growing up in SD I had a rivalry type hate of LA. Think Ohio State/Michigan. After six months I fell in love with LA. LA is an amazing city. The family and I strongly considered relocating. I lived in Redondo Beach and worked in Torrance for 2 years. Timing the commute right from the South Bay area of LA to SD I could make that drive in an average 2 hours. After my project in Torrance I went directly to a $100 million project in Pasadena. After 1 year in Pasadena and $60 million spent, the client put a "temporary halt" to the project due to COVID. I'm now back to working out of our San Diego office. Pasadena was an amazing place to live. Close enough to enjoy everything that LA has to offer, especially on weekends. Beaches, hiking(there is a trail head from Eaton Canyon-North Pasadena that will take you as far as you could ever want to go), mountain climbing and a few ORV parks. 15 or so miles from Dodger stadium and a little farther to downtown/Staples center if your a sports fan. Pasadena is a great town. More cool stuff to do and see in LA than a person could do in a lifetime. Not to mention the proximity to National Parks, Off Road trails and tracks as has been mentioned. There is a reason LA is so big, and growing.

In saying all of this, my client in Pasadena purchased an old college campus. The purchase of the property included 16 residential homes which they were/are in the process of remodeling. I just text the property manager to see if there are any of the homes available. There are. Depending on what you are looking for. Currently they are renting two(2)-one(1) bedroom homes. Just remodeled. 1- 771 SF $1795 2-851 SF $1895. They are also finishing a duplex/townhouse that has a 2 bedroom to be made available soon. No price on that yet. If interested PM me and I'll forward to you the property managers number. The 1 bedroom homes are located at the following location: https://goo.gl/maps/S8jdsYA5hqxjg6eR6 the 2 bedroom to be made available soon is just up the street.

As a side note: a couple of times a month I would head the South/East route from Pasadena to San Diego and ride at Fox Raceway(Pala Motocross) which is about 1/2 hour South of Murrietta/Temecula. Leaving North Pasadena at 6 PM would take me about an hour and twenty minutes to an hour and a half to get to Temecula FWIW. Barring no accidents/incidents/Fires it's a pretty smooth drive. Traffic, but it flows.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you are interested on info on the rentals, I'll forward you the info. I have no association with them other than they were my client. California is booming right now. Even in the COVID era. I get at least a call a week from a headhunter looking for PM's/Superintendents/Construction Managers. And if you get your contractors license here you will never go hungry. Our cities are so densely populated that the California residential construction market is nearly recession proof. Good luck!

14. Imnotfast

Imnotfast Active Member

Oh. One last thing. The summer in Pasadena is hot as hades. And this past winter we got dusted with snow. Just FYI. lol

Razr likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Excellent info, thank you. That sure is an awesome recommendation for LA and southern Cali in general. I will look further where to possibly move to while I'm out there. I really did like Pasadena, but didn't realize it got that hot there, I was there in January. I like all the activities around there, and I'm sure my wife and daughter would love the local shopping.

After reading your post, especially the part about you hating LA, but loved it after moving there, I'm more excited about going out there than before.

16. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I was in Newport Beach working for a couple days last year, drove in but flew out. Caught an Uber to LAX and literally didn't hit traffic once, not one slow down even, I was joking with the driver. "Whys everyone always complain about the traffic, it's fine lol."

Razr likes this.
  17. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Should’ve flown out of SNA.
    For the OP- some others keeping saying stay by the beach. Let me clue you in on how the weather works here. Within a few miles of the ocean the temperature is considerably cooler. 10degrees or so. For instance yesterday it was 80 at my house and I’m 1 mile from the beach. Inland 4 miles my car was reading 95. The marine layer at night and in the morning along with cool water from the pacific cooling the onshore wind is a real thing.

so yes, Pasadena is hotter than hell.

Razr and gixxerboy55 like this.
  18. beac83

Flying out of SNA (John Wayne) or Bob Hope (BUR) are hidden secrets. Ontairo is a great choice if you are out east of LA as well. The smaller airports are a lot easier to deal with than LAX.

If you are up on the rim of the LA basin, you get breezes. If you are in the valleys or in the basin beyond the shore, it does get hot.

Razr likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Don't forget Long Beach. Coolest airport EVER!

Razr and beac83 like this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm starting to figure that out, I'll bet the cost of homes closer to the ocean goes up considerably too.