1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Crazy For Considering Moving to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't drive that, but traffic shouldn't be bad in that direction. Are you going to have to commute back and forth each day or hotel it in Murrieta? I just checked right now, and there are a couple accidents, 1 hr and 27 minutes.

Not sure I would want to drive it everyday.

Razr likes this.
  2. brl0301

brl0301 Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty long drive to make for more than a day or two. With normal traffic it'd be at least 2 hours each way but not sure how traffic is down that way with covid going on. Traffic was really light for a while but seems to be close to normal the past month or so. For 50-80k Id make the drive, or just get an airbnb for the time itll take you to finish the job.

Razr likes this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'll probably stay there for a week in a hotel, then to north LA for the job gig, then back on a weekend or two to finish the fireplace. He's not in a huge hurry, but I don't want to jeopardize my job. At least that drive isn't through the heart of LA.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

50-80k? I doubt he would pay that. It's probably a 15k fireplace, 10k profit. I don't think I can do 4 hours a day driving.

5. brl0301

I spent a year making an 80 mile commute through the center of LA every day for a year. Not something Id ever want to do again. Was usually 2.5 hours coming home after long shifts.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Something I'm missing here..... skilled labor is a dime a dozen in California. There aren't local people who can build fireplaces? Sorry, don't mean to demean your skillz, dude.

7. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

And you wonder why you’re not happy in LA. Do that in Dallas, Houston or Miami and you will be equally miserable. The fact that you don’t pay state income tax won’t make you feel any better.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

That simply is not a true statement...
    Skilled labor is not a dime a dozen here in Ca.
    Ask anyone who actually has to work with and or manage various tradespeople here and you would understand the skill level and quality of execution has deteriorated here since the last RE downturn...,
    Talented individuals who truly care about the work they produce and create are becoming harder to find...

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

No offense at all. Their labor pool is probably similar to ours, you can find tons of people to work, but finding true quality craftsman is getting harder, especially when dealing with hi profile customers. My last customer (fireplace guy) is a heart surgeon, on a 40 acre estate, with a beautiful wife. Do you think he wants the average guy at his home? He interviewed 8 contractors over the last year, and didn't care for any of them. He could've saved 8k on the price of that fireplace with the average guy, but he wouldn't be happy. There are many levels of quality and skill, you just have to pay for it.

BigBird, motion and wsmc42 like this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Well put.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The guy has a mason on his property right now building a stone retaining wall, but claims has no idea how to build a fireplace.

12. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Don't do that.. You'll hang yourself as traffic will be bad in both directions. Any chance you can stay in Temecula?

13. brl0301

The traffic is the least of my concerns with LA and California in general. Luckily I only had to do that drive for a year. My most recent commute was 5 minutes and 3 miles.

Razr likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes, if I go early I will stay in Temecula, the guy works there. If that job goes longer than a week, and it will, I might have to make a few trips back there from LA.

15. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I would guess an hour and 20 in the morning and close to 2 ours in the afternoon. Kinda depends where in Murrieta. I'm guessing it might be in La Cresta, which is up in the hills. It can be 10-15 minutes from up there just down to the 15 freeway. I've done a fair amount of work in the La Cresta area and live in Riverside. 40-45 miles in the afternoon takes about an hour taking a back way to avoid 91/15 interchange. It is a nice area to work with lots of nice custom homes.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

was there a reason you didn't want to motorbike? Quick math says you spent at least 20hrs/wk commuting and Im certain a lane splitting bike could cut that in 1/2.

17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Pasadena to Murrieta for work? Fuuucccckkkkk

beac83 likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm in Murrieta for a week or so, then to work in northwest LA. I'm still undecided where to stay. Pasadena was nice and quiet when I was there.

19. brl0301

I did occasionally but riding 80 miles through downtown morning traffic after a 16 hr shift never seemed like a great idea. If i ever have errands to run anywhere around rush hour Ill usually jump on the bike and cut the trip in half or better.

20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Northwest LA? What city or neighborhood exactly?