1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got me a '03 CR85R

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by OK Rider, Aug 6, 2020.

1. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

Yesterday I went and bought a 2003 Honda CR85R after discovering minimoto/miniGP. It came with Sun Rims supermoto wheels with new Q3+ tires so I'm super excited to say the least. First time owning a dirt bike and first time owning a 2 stroke so I've been researching how to properly maintain it all day, but it seems pretty straight forward so far, ordering some stuff this weekend like air filter cleaners, fuel/oil ratio funnel and some other stuff.. pretty stoked

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Noice

3. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

How do those things do as a minimotard? I know they don't have a powervalve so they weren't that popular as motocross bikes. The same as the KX65, but they seem to be very popular as mini's.

4. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

I have had a couple of CR85s and a KTM 65 (non-powervalve '04) and they are good on kart tracks. Not much bottom end as you would expect, but they go pretty good if you keep the revs up.

5. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

The no bottom end is very noticeable, I'm thinking of getting 55 rear sprocket, it currently has 49. Thoughts?

6. Toadmeister00

What size is your front sprocket? I'm guessing a 14T with that 49T rear. Stock big-wheel gearing is 15/55.

7. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

Front's 15T, mine's a big wheel

8. Toadmeister00

15/49 is very tall gearing. I think I'd put a 14T front on and ride it. That will give you an idea of where you need to go from there. It has been a bunch of years since I had a CR, but I think I ran 15/52-54 on a 110cc supermini build depending on the track.

9. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

Thanks, I guess I"ll get the 14/55 kit and play around

10. Toadmeister00

14/55 will be way too short. I meant try 14/49, fronts being $10 vs. $50+ for rears.

11. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

ah, I see your point, I was going to get the 14/55 so I can try mix and match, but you're right, I'll get the 14, I should be fine using the same chain that way

12. Toadmeister00

Exactly, cheap enough and easy enough to swap out to test, and then make decisions from there.

13. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

Sounds good, I'll go that route. Is motosport.com a good place to shop? this is my first dirt bike, first two stroke so I'm trying to figure out where has the best prices and is reliable

14. Toadmeister00

Motosport, Rocky Mountain ATV or eBay.

15. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

Thanks a lot!

16. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Rocky Mountain ATV>Motosport.

Motosport used to be good, but they got bought out and have not been as good since. Most of their items seem to be backordered or delayed during this pandemic as well.

Have been using RMATV with no problems or delays since.

17. zx250r

zx250r Well-Known Member

Was this the one near Atlanta? If so let me know if you get rid of it ha

18. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

Hahaha yeah that's it, I'll post on here if I decide to sell it

19. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

What do you guys think for springs for this thing and oil weight for the front? RaceTech website recommends 0.46 front and 7.1 or 7.6 rear..

20. Toadmeister00

What do you weigh? .46-.50 fork springs and 7.6+/- shock spring should be about right for a 180-200lb. rider.

If the forks have been revalved for adult minimoto use, 5wt to 7wt oil is typically used. Sometimes you'll see someone just put in some stiffer springs and go to a 20wt (or heavier) oil. That's kind of a bandaid, trying to control the forks with the heavy oil instead of with correct valving.

K-Tech has 40mm shorter supermoto fork spring and the required spacers, and a good selection of shock springs.

www.gatorrimz.com has 70mm shorter .50 forks springs and 7.6 shock springs.