1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yeah...but it's one of those "I wanna" moments...and fun.

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. Back from the range. To try to get a good comparison, I put 125 rounds (100 Range ammo, 25 defensive) through the HK VP9, Sig P320, and XD-M Elite back to back.

I would get them ready, then after emptying the magazine on one, I’d grab another one, then again for the last one.

In there I also ran 2 magazines through each of them with one hand (1 mag right handed, 1 mag left handed).

I love the H&K. But I gotta say, between the 3, I still would pick the XD-M Elite.

It has the highest capacity (19+1), the best sights, and is the smoothest. It is the easiest/quickest back on target when rapid firing. And that became especially true shooting with one hand. It was the easiest/smoothest.

I might give a slight trigger edge to the P320. But overall, the XD-M Elite is my favorite 9mm. The thing is a beast.

I didn’t pay attention to the price of any of them, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the XD was the least expensive of the 3.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  3. I only shoot 9mm or .45ACP. I know the skills from shooting a .22 (and even an AirSoft gun for that matter) can transfer over to anything.

But I like to go to the range with the same guns (caliber) that I carry or use for home defense.

4. From conversations I’ve had with guys at various gun shops, yeah.

In TN there is no rule or law per se. But several guys have told me it would be a good idea to not buy more than 5 in a month. It could throw some red flags.

And that works out good with my rotational work schedule. I can buy 5, then go to work. When I come back, several weeks have past.

I’ve never had an issue passing a background check.

sanee likes this.
  5. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

That's what I like.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

It's not so much "if" but "when" you get a wonky background check. I have an FFL and still get delayed approvals about 20 percent of the time.

7. There has only been a delay with one that I can recall, and it wasn’t that long. When it didn’t come back in 1-2min, I told them I was going to run some errands and come back.

When I got back, it was ready.

I was gone about 3hrs, but I forgot to ask them when they actually got the approval back.

8. shakazulu12

I don't even count those as delays. I have had several take a few weeks. While the shops technically could release the gun after 72 hours, they usually won't. One of them took a visit to the local FBI office to sort out. It's a jacked up system.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Face it dude, you're just a sketchy individual.
    :D

Shocker and Gorilla George like this.
  10. shakazulu12

No lie, part of me was afraid to go down there after the ATF said "Well, there is a problem with the FBI, you are going to have to take it up with them."

11. That’s the same conclusion I came up with. :D

12. What happens if you just go somewhere else and try again?

When I want something, I want it 10 minutes before I realized that I wanted it.

No way I could sit there and wait for weeks.

What happens if you have one pending, then another one gets submitted?

13. Jedb

Depends on your state.
    I have a unique last name, so there's never any confusion. i.e. there are many john smiths out there.
    Also holding a CHL is said to help here in Oregon.

14. Jedb

That must have been a fun conversation. :eek:

15. shakazulu12

It was. especially the part where I had apparently been indicted for some kind of federal crime. For them to come back a few days later and basically say "oops, our bad, that never happened".

Mind you, the alleged indictment would have occurred before I had my FFL which you would think have come up during that process. And having a CHL and FFL doesn't seem to help mucho_O. I still get delays pretty often. I just never go in expecting to leave that day with anything and am happy when I do.

16. Damn. Aside from that one time that took somewhere between 2min and 3hrs, I’ve never had to wait.

There has only been that one time that I left the store without the gun, and that was my choice.

Normally I don’t even have time to look around. It is almost instantaneous.

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Move to GA. If you have a CCW permit they don't even call it in.

18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Please don't ever think about getting a suppressor.

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Same in Arkansas.

20. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’m in my 4th year of carrying an ffl license with a sot. Before this years buying frenzy I only had one customer delay and that was due to the fact there’s another guy out there with the same name and birth date. As for this year long guns are running 50% delay since April. For a while the 3 day Brady delay turned into a couple weeks due to lack of people working at the NICs. I live in MD so they have 7 days on pistols and there was only a couple days that got screwed up due to a system crash. I feel sorry for people that are just trying to get into shooting during this madness. There’s got to be tens of thousands of people sitting on 3 lifetimes worth of ammo. Scary thing is if the election goes democrat fear buying/hoarding could make right now be the good old days.