1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone on here already have or ordered a new C8 Vette?

Discussion in 'General' started by ttt637, Aug 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. G 97

G 97 Garth

What other car in the Vettes price range comes close to the performance it provides? I’m not aware of any.

jonathanp likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One showed up at the kid's lacrosse practice a week or two back. Dude parked it in two spots I guess so no one could park next to it and he could handle the crowd of people that were sure to flock to it and worship him. No one gave a shit.

I walked down towards it 'cause the port-OH-crappers were past his car 'cause I wanted to look for Ray-Bans.
    I said to him "Nice car, dude. But Might want to move it, you're parked behind the goal and those girls will bomb the car with shots. and the golf course is over there and golf balls sometimes come into the lot." and wandered off to look for blue water treasures.
    He was back the next practice with it and once again, no one gave a shit.

That Sunday he turned up up with a brand new Wrangler 4 door. People give a shit about those I guess. :crackup:

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

i mean it's 'Ring time is impressive. Can it actually run on a track day without something breaking? That's another question

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

From here on, anyone talking about the nurburgring and any relevance to road going cars and the laps time some steakhead car does around it will be banned! :D

That shithole needs the first 1000 bomber raid on Germany in 75 years! :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Ach die lieber! Don't talk about your Fatherland like that! I love der Salzstangen und Erdnussflips!

Phl218 likes this.
  6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Did it have the obligatory Salt Life, Yeti, and/or Under Armor stickers on it along with black coal roller wheels??:D

badmoon692008 and stk0308 like this.
  7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

upload_2020-8-6_14-14-24.jpeg

Schmeckt!

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

they are called Motorbikes...hehe

stk0308 and G 97 like this.
  9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

We kinda accidentally ended up with a Shelby Super Snake at work. It's a 2019 with everything. I cannot FATHOM why that car is worth $150k. Especially compared to something like the C8.

10. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Couldn't ever get it around Deal's Gap like I wanted.

G 97 likes this.
  11. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

A buddy of mine also has 2, he drives a Huracan Performante.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

You couldn’t push it off a cliff into a ravine? :D

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Its funny, everyone talks about how uncomfortable sportbikes are but that damn thing killed my lower back.

I sold it to a dude from Connecticut. Didn't have the heart to destroy scenery by pushing it off a cliff.

G 97 likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It sounds like you're saying that whatever the top trim level (ZO6?) is, that when they release it, it will take on any comers in a price category that tops out at double the price of a loaded base model. Is that correct?
    I just did a "build and price", fully loading a base model. It came to $95K+. If I understand you correctly, you're saying the Z-whatever, is gonna whoop ass on any other car at that <$200K price.
    Well shake my head and roll my eyes, I wanna see that!
    (Likely what I'm gonna see is an article about all the things the "crew" had to do to the 'Vette to mitigate it getting its ass whooped by a Porsche that came straight off the showroom floor.) :D

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I don;t know that I'd go that far. The front engine version wasn't far off its competitors. Pretty sure the mid-engine layout is only going to help it in the long run. Even Porsche has admitted their engine is in the wrong place on the 911s as the race cars have all gone mid-egnine layout. They of course will go hybrid then full electric in it before pulling the gas motor out. Then they never have to actually make a mid-engine 911.

16. fastfreddie

I agree the mid-engine is gonna help the 'Vette.

In the mid-engine class, I'd ask that you consider that a Cayman GT4 RS is $100K+ and only down 80HP to the 'Vette's 495HP. Without throwing any money at the Cayman, the only thing it's lacking is 80 HP? Everything else about the Cayman, relative to the 'Vette, is a win hands down.

Let's step up to the 911, specifically, the Carrera 4S. It's $122K+, AWD and has a back seat, but it's down 50HP on the 'Vette. Does anyone really think that 50HP deficit is gonna hurt it in the corners? Again, win hands down.

What about other Porsche models that would push the $200K mark? Do we really need to go there?

What about BMW and Mercedes? I'm sure they'd have something that speaks "in your face" for <$200K, but I don't care about coupes and sedans so I wouldn't know. :D

My comment about coupes and sedans brings me around to concede that the 'Vette will have its champions just as any other brand/model of performance car but, obviously, I'm not one of 'em. To me, a 'Vette is not only a car, it's just a car. The elation of its performance (or lack thereof) wears off quicker than its new car smell.

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

main reason there’s only the GT4 as a really quick Boxster.

because a flat 6 turbo boxster would smoke the 911 elite.

same reason why PCA does not allow LS swapped 944s to their track days. They easily hurt feelings of the snobby GT3 crowd

SundaySocial likes this.
  18. Venom51

1. There is no GT4 RS.
    2. It may come along in the next year or so.

I own a GT4 and will tell you that if a C8 pulls up next to me and wanted to go I'd have to think real hard about it. The flat 6 is a great motor but it doesn't create the torque of the push rod v8. The high performance beetle only makes 309 ft lbs. and it doesn't do that until almost 550o rpm. Actually if the 718 turbo 4 banger pulls up I'd have to think about it. It was universally hated but that's powerhouse of a little motor package.

19. fastfreddie

Why? Is a straight line the only thing these cars are all about? You know you wouldn't think twice if it happened in the twisties. You're on Velcro, he's on glue...but Elmer's isn't really all it's cracked up to be. :D

20. Venom51

Well..the car still has to have a driver. Just like bikes. A damn good driver in the Vette would be a challenge. It just would be. I love my beetle but I'm realistic about it and I'm pretty sure given equal driver talent and equivalent tire on each that it would likely not come out on top or if it did it wouldn;t be by much.