1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marquez 2nd arm surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Meh, none of that holds any water. Back in the day I had a nasty left handed move to the rim off the left block towards baseline. I almost never used it because most couldn't stop the right hander. Mostly because of all the power I could generate from all the bench pressing I had done.

Marc/q doesn't need to wait behind people to figure them out very often but that doesn't mean he can't.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

When you have won as many races at the level that MM has, you have racecraft. It's not even debatable.

BigBird, sdiver and MELK-MAN like this.
  3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Yamaha isn't winning the championship this year. They've had 2-3 engine failures. Vinales has already put all 5 of his to use. Not sure about Fabio's allocation. Most everyone else has only touched 3 of their engines. There are 11-12 more rounds to go. The allocation is reduced from 7 engines to 5 because of the shortened season. We'll probably see some Yamahas start from pit lane by the last part of the season at this rate.

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

In the last 2 seasons, Marc has had 12 finishes where he was battling for the win and the winner was determined by less than 1 second, so basically it was a battle to the finish. Nobody just got outright outpaced. Of those 12, Marc lost 7 of them. Of the 5 he won, 3 of them were against a rookie Fabio on an underpowered machine.

Yes Marc wins a lot of races. And he usually does it by getting to the front at all costs and simply outpacing everyone. But history would suggest that if it's going to be a close finish, especially against a rider with a strong strategic game, it is more likely that Marc does not come out on top.

5. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Racecraft definition: The total of a racer's skill (craft) along dimensions including: practicing, qualifying, starts, beginning, mid-race and end-race pace, passing, wear equipment usage, and pit strategy.

Redtail is half right. Marquez doesn't strategize, at least nowhere near as much or as good as the likes of Dovi.....(yes because he doesn't need to, but it doesn't change that fact). With that said, devising a strategy, studying your opponents strengths/wekanesses is part of racecraft but it is not all of racecraft. Your ability to be consistent, manage your tires, play mindgames is also part of racecraft and I think it's safe to say Marquez has the those 3 in bucketloads.

R Acree likes this.
  6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

My buddy and I had this conversation recently and ultimately determined that our definitions of race craft were different. And I suspect that may be part of where my disagreement comes into play here. While I absolutely understand the importance of practice and qualifying, I've always thought of race craft as what happens in the race and your ability to strategize against other riders when your outright speed isn't enough on its own. And I see pace and race craft as two different elements of racing. I guess the simplest definition for the way I perceive race craft is your ability to battle heads up with other riders when all the other factors result in your paces being equal.

7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I think he’s referring to a single aspect of racecraft. The head to head variety you put on when someone else has the same speed as you. Obviously racecraft in totality starts before the weekend (or season) even begins right up until you cross the finish line.

Back when, GOATboy himself didn’t have to use a ton of (head to head) racecraft either because he was so much faster than the field he didn’t need it. When he did do that type of racecraft it was of the same chargey bargey variety as Marc.

Now that everyone has caught up with him, he turned into one devious bastard. The end of Assen 2015 was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately he’s usually not fast enough anymore to use his crafty tactics at the pointy end.

Marc’s racecraft vis a vis other riders is strategic. If someone challenges him he divebombs, berms then, or chops their wheel until they fuck off. He’s beating them not only in the moment, he’s intimidating them into not challenging him. It’s worked on everyone on the grid save Fabio, Valentino and Dovi to some extent. Unfortunately Dovi isn’t consistent enough to always challenge him, and Valentino isn’t fast enough to be near him.

Fab’s our only hope.

I’m not writing off Mav, but I think Qboy has a substantial mental edge on him. I think Mav will come a close but not razor thin 2nd in the ‘ship.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    redtailracing likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pace is an essential part of racecraft, you can't do anything with your racecraft if you do not factor your pace into it. To me racecraft is everything from the mental to the physical, on and off track.

9. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I didn’t think him and Rossi were on speaking terms?

auminer, motoboy, TX Joose and 2 others like this.
  10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yes but is he a pro racer

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

you can't break a ti-plate by opening a door.

Nic and SGVRider like this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

All depends on how thin the TI plate is, was the plate was already stressed / cracked, how big & heavy the door is, how you use your arm to open the door, etc.

Or how big a liar Puig is. :D

Shocker, Prospect, Dragginass and 2 others like this.
  15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

What a fucking load of completely disingenuous horseshit. The plate didn’t break because he opened a door. The plate broke because Marc tried to ride a 300 HP motorcycle at full tilt boogie with only the plate holding his arm together, then when he got home he decided to get back into weightlifting right away. If it broke from opening a door it was only after the other 10000 fatigue events he subjected it to. The plate could’ve broken from Marc vigorously whacking off at that point.

Nice try, Puig. Puigbag must have had a lot of fun with this whopper, I know I would’ve.

Shocker, Prospect, sdiver and 3 others like this.
  16. Nic

Nic Well-Known Member

Terrified Now!, "Would you get that door for me Hun?"

The risks our women never give us credit for taking.

17. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

puig makes my skin crawl...

Prospect and Nic like this.
  18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

FWIW those plates can bend/brake easily when the bone still hasn’t fully healed. I bent up mine in my forearm being impatient a few years back after a nasty highside.

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I like Puig. He's the 'meanie' character in this silly television show. All he needs is a black hat.

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Agree. Give him a tiny thin mustache and he's a regular Boris Badenov.

stk0308 and Phl218 like this.