1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona and nascar

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Jul 31, 2020.

1. drop

drop Well-Known Member

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

That makes no sense. They already go past the chicane they’re adding into the gap between 4 and tri oval

3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that a cup car has a higher top speed there than the top imsa prototypes.

CRA_Fizzer and stk0308 like this.
  4. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I think its because they have less brake.

5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Well those prototypes are
    Creating wicked downforce.

noles19 likes this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

All that drag plus they just aren't built for the oval and those speeds. From what I saw the top speed of the prototypes is around 200mph at the line. And a few years ago they ran a prototype on the oval to set a new record and did so at 222mph. 10 mph more than a Nascar record from 1988..
    NASCAR's are primitive but they are really good at going fast around a oval..

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I saw one do pretty well at a WillowSprings trackday - vintage/modern/classic Lotus, Camaro, Mustang, Porsche, et al. The only NASCAR there and it handed everyone their asses while looking like it was out for a quiet drive in the country.

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You can buy your own from Hendrick Motorsports for a track day car now, full race engine or a ls engine.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

They added a chicane?

I thought Bubba Wallace was already going to be on the track.

10. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Well that article claimed a cup car was captured at 190 mph which led me to make my statement.

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

So, according to the author a lap speed, computed from the elapse time it takes to run a lap, is the top speed the car achieved? This guy is a "professional" moto-journalist? He's essentially saying Peter Hickman and John McGuiness don't break 135 mph anywhere on the Isle of Man TT. The comments illuminate this when someone calls him on it.