1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 GSXR Fork Info & Parts Help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mike Lafayette, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I recently bought a 2008 GSXR 750 for a second track bike. One fork seal was leaking so I brought it to a shop to get the forks rebuilt. When the forks were disassembled the tech noticed the chrome on the bottom tube had worn through thus causing the seal to leak. I am told the tubes on the 750 are 41mm and the tubes on the 1000 are 43mm which adds some noticeable rigidity. But when changing over to something else I need to be concerned with fitting in the triple clamps, the 750 are 50mm at top and 53mm on bottom (?), fork length, fender mounting, brake rotor offset, etc. I am not expert on this and there maybe other considerations I didn't list, so I was hoping some experts would chime in - what is my best option?

Buy OEM tubes? Too expensive!
    Replace with used 750 forks and take a chance on chrome thickness being worn as well?
    Replace with forks from a different bike that would be an upgrade? Would like this to be plug and play. What bikes and years would work for this?
    Replace with higher quality aftermarket forks that are an upgrade?

Also if anyone has parts that could help me out, please PM me with what you have, some pictures, and how much are you asking. Please let me know what you think about my situation.

2. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I’d say this all depends on your time/schedule and more so budget/needs.

If I were you I would buy a real nice set of used fork tubes and call it a day. As far as I know you can use the fork tubes from 06-10 without changing anything.
    If you go up 11-20 you’d have to change the calipers at least.
    This would be the safest, cheapest route imo. I’d probably change them both at the same time and keep the one good one you have as a spare.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Which side you need? I may have some around, will check.
    Also just chrome tube can be replaced.

Newyork and Mike Lafayette like this.
  4. Mike Lafayette

Thank you! It is the right side fork, but the left is getting thin too. Tubes alone are fine, that is all I really need. Ideally it would be best to do both at the same time if you have them.

5. TWF2

All this forks and not single 08/09 :)
    When I said chrome tube I meant just tube without knuckle. You can buy those new for about $350 pair. TNK or cheaper China and just put your knuckle on it.
    I have ton of 06/07 but don't remember if chromes are identical. 08/09 have high/low speed compression adjuster and 06/07 don't, just low.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Damn that’s a lot of fork tubes...I have an 07 750 now I know who to contact if the need arises.

7. Mike Lafayette

Thank you for looking. Excuse my ignorance but are you saying that the inner tubes are sold with the knuckle (OEM Suzuki)? If that is true there is no real way to see if the tubes without the knuckle are the same, correct? I looked on eBay and like you mentioned there are some TNK and China chrome tubes out there, I am reluctant to buy the ones from China have you had any experience with TNK and if so what do you think of their quality?

8. TWF2

Yes OEM are sold with knuckle. I am pretty sure thread is same on both, they are both 41mm showa. Difference will be in length. TNK list them with different part numbers and 530mm vs 535mm.
    I have used China ones on sv forks many time, they are fine, nothing wrong with it. I am also installing set of TNK tubes on 04/05 GSXR forks right now.

9. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I might have one. I'll look in a bit and let you know.

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  10. surfingsk8r

Just dug it out of storage and its a left side fork leg. Sorry man.

11. Mike Lafayette

Thanks for checking! I think I am going to bite the bullet and get some new TNK chromes. Thanks to everyone that looked for parts and chimed in with help and advice! Hopefully the quality of the TNK's won't disappoint. I wonder why the OEM's don't sell just the chromes.

12. surfingsk8r

No problem man. I know how it is looking for parts to get back up and running. I can't race/ride currently so I might as well help others if I can.