1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I test-fired about 50+ rounds through both of those same guns. I'm agreeing that the XD-9 was super-accurate for such a short barrel. But I had to work for it with a focus on the small grip. How did you like the fit of the XD-9? With a 10-mag, I only get three fingers on the gun, meaning I had to focus on my grip moreso than the 43x.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I like the XD series. They feel nice and the one I shot felt pretty good too. HK is still my favorite so far. May go pick up a VP9SK at some point for my smaller concealed carry needs.

Judging by your racing ventures, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're a fan of affamarket errrythang. Look into aftermarket triggers. There's some really good stuff out there. My buddy has a Haley Strategic trigger in his Glock, which is basically just a reworked stock trigger but it feels very nice. I've heard good things about Johnny Glocks. Currently I'm eyeballing an Apex trigger for my FN as they are supposed to be tits.

The real question is... When is Geissele going to branch into the handgun trigger world? I've had 2 different triggers of theirs in rifles and holy hell they are amazing.

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Anybody reloading in bulk? I can't find .300 Blackout anywhere.

4. DmanSlam

Need me some learning here too. I like the XD and the Glock 43 (though it had no picatinny on the one I fired). Just curious what aspect of the trigger is improved?

5. redtailracing

I feel your pain. I've been meaning to get into the reloading game for awhile now and just keep putting it off. Now I'm wishing I hadn't. I'm actually having a harder time sourcing .300blk than I am 9mm.

6. I absolutely hate the trigger on the Hellcat. I’m going to have to do something about it.

I love the trigger on the XD-9 Subcompact I just picked up. I also have the XD-M Elite and I love the trigger on it also.

Id put the trigger on the XD-M Elite right there with the Sig P320.

But my favorite is the short reset trigger on the P227 TACOPS. Once it is out of DA mode, you could fart and it would fire another shot. :D

7. redtailracing

Take-up travel is reduced, pull weight reduced, grittiness is eliminated, reset is more positive (usually). That's the biggest things that come to mind.

DmanSlam likes this.
  8. On the XD-9, I like it but only with the extended magazine. I ordered some more extending magazines for it. I won’t use the 10rd mag at all. I don’t like holding the gun with 3 fingers.

DmanSlam likes this.
  9. In general, Sigs are the most comfortable/natural feeling for me. I like the wider/thicker grip.

I tried to “beef up” the grip on the 43x with Talon grip and it helped some, but it’s still too skinny for my liking.

The HK45 is nice also. It’s similar to Sig.

I absolutely HATE that pegboard cheese grater like bullshit on the FNs.

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. redtailracing

As much as I don't like Sig, I did think the 320 trigger felt quite nice out of the box when I had one. I still maintain you need to try some HK pistols if you haven't before. The VP and USP lines are magical. As much as I love FN, the trigger in my FNS-9C is one of the worst I've ever felt out of the box. I remember handling one in the store a few months before I bought one and thought it just felt normal. But when I bought mine, I never checked it over. I had handled them enough while window shopping to feel comfortable with it. Not sure if I just got a bad one or what but this thing is the suck. Hence why I'm looking into an Apex trigger.

11. Ive got an HK45 and love it. I even got the John Wick Compensator for it. :D

48DCB905-1CAC-462C-A48F-437E21D1916C.jpeg

MachineR1, noles19 and redtailracing like this.
  12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@Gorilla George
    dude... crop the toes.

just get 'em out of the photo ffs.

13. No.

14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You know he’s in the back of my gun shop right ;)

Shocker likes this.
  15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I have a Dillon for sale

16. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Powder River Precision released a trigger kit for the Hellcat. My coworker has been talking about getting it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. Thanks, I need to look into that.

Shocker likes this.
  18. I should probably start doing that. I’ve never fired anything until after I’ve already bought it. :D

See, what happens is, the indoor range I go to waves the $15 range fee if you buy a gun.

So I usually end up getting a gun, when I left the house only intending to go to the range.

It would be easier if you didn’t have to walk through the store (past the counters) to get to the range.

I walk through, set my range bag down, go to the counters and look around, then I’ll be like “let me see the _____”. Then if it feels good in my hand, and the sights look good (easy to pick up), then I’ll be like “ok, I’ll take this one”.

Then I can justify it and feel good about it because I got free range time. :crackup:

19. DmanSlam

Thanks. In Maryland, 10-mag is the max a handgun can have. Three finger grip is challenging and I compensated by curling my right pinky into a tight ball, then wrapping any fingers that are free on my left hand. It works well, I might add. But I had to work for it.

20. DmanSlam

Thanks. So, I test-fired the HK VP9 and, as much as I wanted to like it, I didn't enjoy the trigger action on it. It's gotta "feel right" as soon as I hold it. Else, I am biased against it after that first impression.