1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Those only work when you have lots of money, don't want to give any up to help the cause du jour but still want to feel like you are "doing something". They do not work for us po' folk...

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I find that changing your social media avatar to something trendy seems to help alot.

3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Is “thoughts and prayers” still as effective as it used to be?

Hotfoot likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As much as hopes and dreams I'd say....

Ducti89 likes this.
  5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

#WEAR_A_MASK_OR_DON'T!

6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Shame you had to explain....

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Actually it’s

[​IMG]

FrancisA, Shocker and Ducti89 like this.
  8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

A thousand apologies.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

He also had cancer a while back, I believe it was stage 4 colon and liver. Wasn't in fantastic health to begin with from what I'd heard, and they vented him which has about 88% death as the outcome, and I can't imagine radiation and chemo from his past helped the situation. Unfortunate as all death are, but I don't think it should be politicized or put under the microscope.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You could say the same about some deceased racers.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

What's the irony?

You're gonna sit there and act as if masks completely mitigate COVID19 now? Let me help you with that, they don't. He could have done all the "right" things and still gotten infected.

The Dutch government just said they will not require masks, as there is no medical trials that prove their effectiveness.

sdg likes this.
  12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Nor will there be. It would be unethical to have a bunch of people with who have tested positive for Covid hanging out in an enclosed space with a bunch of people who tested negative for Covid. Even less so if a portions of these trial "bunches" have no one wearing masks or only the positive wearing masks or only the negative wearing masks. It what way does that prove they don't work? By work I mean reduce the chances of catching the disease, not prevent it.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Quite interesting in that the inverse of this same argument is what "they" used to discount the Chloroquine drugs....hmmmmm....wonder why?

14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

While I haven't read every post in this thread, the ones I have read do not implied what you've stated above. What I've read (here and elsewhere) indicates the use of masks helps mitigate the spread of CV-19. Nowhere has it been said that it completely stops the spread (not even N95's). Just like in cybersecurity, no one single thing will stop a compromise (infection) from occurring, but a layered approach makes it more difficult and buys down risk. This methodology is known as known as defense in depth.

badmoon692008 and ducnut like this.
  15. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

In Criminal Justice there is a similar concept... Target Hardening.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Masks help mitigate the spread, which is undeniable. And, staying out of huge crowds also mitigates the spread. Disregarding both these compounds one’s chances of contracting. If you actually understood how the virus works, you’d understand why a mask is effective, and wouldn’t have posted such frivolous nonsense.

I live with someone in the animal medical field who’s on top of the going’s on with this virus, because of her Alma mater’s research efforts and its direct link to animals. I’ve read the journal articles stating exactly how it starts/lives and have had any questions clarified. I’m no expert, by any means, but, I do have a clear understanding of it and what’s effective for mitigation. This, which is known, isn’t based on some political agenda from one of the 194 countries of the world.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just. Wow. :rolleyes:

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yes, I have already seen and read that article. If you actually read the article and not just the headline it does recommend mask wearing.

I wholeheartedly would support public service message campaigns to get people to wear the masks properly instead of having their nose hanging out or with huge gaps at their cheeks or nose because of poor fitment.

Cite on your studies done in the past with mask wearing and Covid viruses. If the studies show the masks won't stop all the virus from getting through, yes we know that. I would be interested if you found one that showed they didn't help at all.

ducnut likes this.
  20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

That's commentary, not a scientific paper. And seems focused on Cloth masks:

We do, however, have data from laboratory studies that indicate cloth masks or face coverings offer very low filter collection efficiency for the smaller inhalable particles we believe are largely responsible for transmission, particularly from pre- or asymptomatic individuals who are not coughing or sneezing. At the time we wrote this article, we were unable to locate any well-performed studies of cloth mask leakage when worn on the face—either inward or outward leakage. As far as we know, these data are still lacking.

At the very top of the article is this editors note:

The authors and CIDRAP have received requests in recent weeks to remove this article from the CIDRAP website. Reasons have included: (1) we don’t truly know that cloth masks (face coverings) are not effective, since the data are so limited, (2) wearing a cloth mask or face covering is better than doing nothing, (3) the article is being used by individuals and groups to support non-mask wearing where mandated and (4) there are now many modeling studies suggesting that cloth masks or face coverings could be effective at flattening the curve and preventing many cases of infection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.